3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 8:26 AM by A.T. Romano

Mute video sound

RachelSteele

I would like to use a piece of video footage but mute the sound to put another narration over it.  how can i do this?

• 1. Re: Mute video sound
          A.T. Romano Level 7

RachelSteele

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

For now I will assume Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

1. You can do more than mute that audio. You can delete it. Right click the video, and, from the pop up menu, select Delete Audio.

2. If you want to mute the audio, then highlight the clip, go to Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded and more the Volume all the way to the left.

Please review and consider, and supply more details.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Mute video sound
            RachelSteele Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have identified the menu that brilliant,  i was hoping to relay the audio with a cleaned version bus my cleaning software is not working.  Is there a way to reduce background noise using Adobe Premiere Elemenets 12?

My Computer is Widows 7.

• 3. Re: Mute video sound
              A.T. Romano Level 7

RachelSteele

Thanks for the follow up.

There is a feature in Premiere Elements 12/12.1 called Smart Mix where you can get automatic balancing of soundtrack music with narration track dialog or numbered audio tracks dialog by setting the track as Foreground or Background in Smart Mix.

smartmix.jpg

Each of the tracks (Soundtrack, Narration, and numbered audio tracks) has the options to be set Foreground or Background or Disabled.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Mixing audio and adjusting volume

I have also observed that the feature will lower the Soundtrack audio (designated Background) even if Audio 1 clip (designated Foreground) is music without vocal.

But that does not prohibit you from adjusting those Smart Mix automatic settings using a selected clip and Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded and its Volume slider.

Please consider. If clarification needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR