1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 9:15 AM by A.T. Romano

VideoMerge Tolerance Not Working

adgeb Level 1

I have been using Videomerge for some green screen effects, but the tolerance seems to have zero effect.  It just doesn't make any adjustments.  I have tried other filters too and they are okay, but I think Videomerge will work for what I need if I can just have the tolerance tweaked a tiny bit.  Anyone else have this issue or know if there is something going on here?

• 1. Re: VideoMerge Tolerance Not Working
          A.T. Romano Level 7

adgeb

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running? If Mac computer, please consider using Difference Matte instead of Videomerge for your green screen key effects.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Difference Matte As Substitute for Green or Blue Screen Key

Can also be used for Premiere Elements Windows.

If you have Premiere Elements Windows, please consider ChromaKey effect or the Green Screen Key effect instead of Videomerge.

Videomerge is not one of my favorite effects. I recall that when it was introduced it was described as an automatic ChromaKey. Stay with the ChromaKey and avoid use of Videomerge if encouraged to do so when you get a pop up when the project sees a solid colored background in the drag to the Timeline.

Videomerge can be effective and controllable under certain situations requiring creating transparency in area where solid color exists in the image. The nature/preparation of your green screen may be a factor in why it is not behaving ideally.

Consider a test run where, in Photoshop Elements or Photoshop, you create different colored circles (none green) on a green background. Then bring the image into Premiere Elements and apply the Videomerge effect. What is the result by comparison to what you are doing now.

ATR