4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2015 2:48 PM by Mark Wycherley

Lightroom CC issues

YachtjoyHunter

I have installed Lightroom CC on a 2009 21.5" iMac running Yosemite, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256MB. I got past the initial installation issue by the suggested method but Lightroom crashes frequently. I have re-installed and this is still the case. Any thoughts? Thanks

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC issues
          Mark Wycherley Level 1

I am running LR CC on 2009 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256MB, up-to-date Yosemite 10.10.3. I was also seeing frequent crashes as I navigated in Develop Module. Once LR had crashed on rendering a specific image, it would then crash on start-up on the same image, but I could (if I was quick enough) navigate away just after the spash-screen, and select another, let it render that fully, and then go back and successfully select the first one without crashing.

Since it was not specific to the image and was more happening if I was moving around from image-to-image I came to the conclusion it was to do with the GPU acceleration and so have now turned that off, and LR CC is stable again.

Sounds like some problem with load management or something into the NVIDIA.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC issues
            YachtjoyHunter Level 1

Thanks for the response. I had an on line session with Adobe support who told me that the issue was in the preferences and got me to the point where everything was working again. I noticed afterwards that GPU acceleration was off - when I turned it on everything slowed down, the sliders became erratic and LR crashed. I think that confirms your thought as I have the same video card. When I checked the system requirements again i noticed that between 1 and 2GB od VRAM is recommended so I reckon the card we have is just not up to it. However I don't really find the Develop screens unresponsive and I do like everything else about LR CC. Kind of wish that the support guys had been more specific about the problem, though.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC issues
              marcoctn

same here, NVIDIA GeForce 9400. very disappointed since the performance update was for me the most important aspect of the update.

adobe are you listening??

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC issues
                Mark Wycherley Level 1

My 2009 17" MacBook Pro actually has two GPU - GeForce 9400M 256MB and GeForce 9600M GT 512MB, either of which I can select in OS X Sys Prefs Energy Saver panel. With the 9400M 256MB selected, LR crashing out is frequent. With the 9600M GT 512MB selected, somewhat less-so. Dificult to be statistical about it as I am not using LR CC so much yet as I am doing mostly Photoshop work at the moment. I should also have said I am running LR CC in dual-display mode, with 1920x1200 as the main and 2560x1600 as the secondary (which means mostly as loupe in the Develop Module); that clearly will affect GPU loading also.

LR should not really just crash out if not enough GPU memory, just switch back to CPU to do that render, so there is something Adobe should tidy-up. I don't quite understand the crashing at start up on a "sensitive" image (until navigate away and back) either.