7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2015 10:36 AM by y31kai

Lightroom CC "Windows 8" Touch Workspace

evan.sante Level 1

Came across a really interest Article on Lightroom CC and Windows 8 integration:

New Adobe Lightroom CC Offers Unique Functionality on Surface Pro 3 - Thurrott.com

The question is can you access the Touch Workspace on other high-bread tablets ie: Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 or other 64bit tablets (or for that matter any Intuos Pro Tablet)

or is this only available on the Surface?

If anyone has seen any documentation on this please post the URL....

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC "Windows 8" Touch Workspace
          way2hip4u Level 1

Does the touch workspace works with the new Surface 3?

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC "Windows 8" Touch Workspace
            Donn Pattenden Level 1

I had a conversation with Adobe and it only works on Surface Pro 3.

Hopefully Adobe will do proper Universal apps of the Creative Suite.

Transcript excerpt below:

Donn Pattenden: Hello. Can you tell me if the new touch mode in Lightroom is exclusive to Surface Pro 3?

Rohit Pandita: yes it is

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC "Windows 8" Touch Workspace
              bhousto90 Level 3

FYI:

The touch icon shows up on my Dell XPS laptop with touch screen running Win 8.1, so I can enter the touch workspace mode (develop only)

But once in that mode only limited features work.

I just tried it for a couple of minutes and in the photo section of the screen it only lets me zoom/pan the image.

So anything else requiring interaction to the photo does not work. (ie cannot use a brush, spot healing, or swiping between photos - except cropping)

The menu at the bottom of the screen works for most items but that is about it. So you change exposure, WB, choose effects etc and crop.

And overall everything is very slow with/without the GPU enabled.

So I exited the touch workspace and will probably never use it because of its lack of functionality.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC "Windows 8" Touch Workspace
                brek. Level 1

bhousto90 wrote:

FYI:

The touch icon shows up on my Dell XPS laptop with touch screen running Win 8.1, so I can enter the touch workspace mode (develop only)

But once in that mode only limited features work.

I just tried it for a couple of minutes and in the photo section of the screen it only lets me zoom/pan the image.

So anything else requiring interaction to the photo does not work. (ie cannot use a brush, spot healing, or swiping between photos - except cropping)

The menu at the bottom of the screen works for most items but that is about it. So you change exposure, WB, choose effects etc and crop.

And overall everything is very slow with/without the GPU enabled.

So I exited the touch workspace and will probably never use it because of its lack of functionality.

Yeah, same here using an Acer convertible laptop. In fact, where I could previously use brushes and filters in LR5 using touch in the standard workspace, I can't do that at all in the new version. I had to roll back to LR5 because it's basically unusable for me without touch. This is a very disappointing update that I hope gets fixed.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC "Windows 8" Touch Workspace
                  way2hip4u Level 1

I can confirm that it works on the new Surface 3 (non-pro).

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC "Windows 8" Touch Workspace
                    Matt Fitt Level 1

brek. wrote:

This is a very disappointing update that I hope gets fixed.

Similar disappointment and frustration, here. 

Dell XPS2710 desktop with 27" touch screen worked wonderfully with LR5, allowing touch-based application of Adjustment Brushes, resulting in much greater accuracy and speed.

But with the "new & improved" touch-optimized LR6, all of that functionality is lost, completely.

And if I go into the Touch Workspace, I still can't apply anything via touch.  But at least the Touch Workspace offers no means of returning back to the basic interface...  and consistently causes LR to choke and freeze, thereby ensuring that I will never again make the mistake of trying to use it.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC "Windows 8" Touch Workspace
                      y31kai Level 1

I confirmed touch workspace works on Lenovo Thinkpad 10 and VAIO Z Canvas.

(VAIO Z Canvas is the new windows 8 tablet available in japan from today.)