8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 1:58 PM by ManiacJoe

Is this an update or what? (5.7)

davidt6610696

I am new to LR and am running 5.7.  I received a notification of an update, but when I click on it, I am taken to what appears to be a sales pitch for LR  CC?  What is going on? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Is this an update or what? (5.7)
          dj_paige Level 9

LIghtroom CC/Lightroom 6 is indeed an upgrade to the software. It was released yesterday (4/21/15). It has major new features. You might want to read up on this and also download and try the 30-day free trial that Adobe offers.

• 2. Re: Is this an update or what? (5.7)
            davidt6610696 Level 1

I do not understand.  I cannot use the cloud due to limited Internet access. An update is by tradition a fix/addition to an existing program, not something that requires a trial?

• 3. Re: Is this an update or what? (5.7)
              dj_paige Level 9

I said "upgrade" not "update" and anyway, I also said it is a new release with new features that requires only limited internet access (for downloading the software and then once a month after that to verify your subscription, it does not require constant or high-speed access)

• 4. Re: Is this an update or what? (5.7)
                davidt6610696 Level 1

My question was not about upgrades -- it was about an update notification that I received.  This was an automatic pop-up and labeled "Lightroom Update Available."  No mention of upgrade and no mention of the cloud.

• 5. Re: Is this an update or what? (5.7)
                  dj_paige Level 9

So are we going to quibble over what word is used? As I stated, this is a major new release with new features that requires a 30-day free trial (or that you pay for it)

• 6. Re: Is this an update or what? (5.7)
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The people that wrote the popup message are playing loose and fast with the terminology.

LR 6 is a brand new version of LR. Lots of new features. It is a side-by-side install with LR 5.

LR 6 is not an "update" to LR 5 as 5.8 would be to 5.7.

The "cloud" is marketing hype. Your images stay on your hard drive. The software is installed to your hard drive.

Outside of the software downloads, the internet is needed only for the monthly subscription checks and any photo sharing you want to do.

• 7. Re: Is this an update or what? (5.7)
                      davidt6610696 Level 1

Thank you Joe.  It is confusing for a new guy and this was my fist update notification from LR.  I never suspected a company would use automatic notifications of updates for sales promotions!  It says at the bottom, "Ignore These Updates."  Do you know if I click on that if I will get rid of the advertising but still get notifications of lens updates, etc?  Thanks

• 8. Re: Is this an update or what? (5.7)
                        ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

I would not really call it a sales promotion. It is the notice you get when a new version of the software is available. The notice does not distinguish between updates and upgrades. If you turn off the notice, you will get no notices about any software updates. LR 5.7.1 is the end of the line for 5.x updates.

In this case, since the software update is an upgrade in major versions (5.x to 6.0), you will probably get sent to webpages that contain things like EULAs, etc.

Minor updates usually just update the software with no fanfare.

You really want LR 6 any way.

Free to the subscription customers; $79 upgrade for the perpetual users.