7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 9:46 AM by NYNC

Downloaded and Installed LR6 Standalone, won't run, says already activated on 2 computers

Bill Dewey Level 1

I also have a CC subscription which I use on the other 2 computers.  Does this mean that I can no longer have both?  If I have a subscription I cannot have Stand Alone, or do I need a new Adobe ID for the Stand Alone?  I have been on hold to support for over 30 minutes now, this is an incredibly annoying set of circumstances.

Thanks in advance for any advice or commiseration.

• 1. Re: Downloaded and Installed LR6 Standalone, won't run, says already activated on 2 computers
          Bill Dewey Level 1

I think the key to this whole mess lies in serializing LR6 on this machine, see this page:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Serialize Lightroom CC trial to activate as Lightroom 6

The problem I have is that when it gets to the Sign In step, after Signing Out, it automatically converts me to CC, does not allow me to enter my new license key.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

• 2. Re: Downloaded and Installed LR6 Standalone, won't run, says already activated on 2 computers
            JeffreyOD Adobe Employee

Hi Bill. This is an interesting case. While I don't have an answer for you right off, I will investigate and see what I can find out. I suspect your idea about creating a new Adobe ID for the standalone (non-CC) version would be a decent workaround, but it might not be required. I'll do a bit of digging. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

• 3. Re: Downloaded and Installed LR6 Standalone, won't run, says already activated on 2 computers
              Bill Dewey Level 1

Got it solved!  Took a call direct to Adobe here in Seattle, but the resolution was to create a second Adobe account and sing-in with that one, so the CC license did not get picked up.  I did not want to try that first, but once I spoke with a knowledgeable Adobe person, and he agreed, we tried it and it worked.  He also mentioned that he would try to get the Serialization page updated as well.  I told him as well that I did not find that page via a Google Search, as I was searching for License, not Serialization.  Recommended that they add "License" to the meta-tags, that might help folks find it.

In the end all is well.

Thanks for the reply, and the assistance earlier.

• 4. Re: Downloaded and Installed LR6 Standalone, won't run, says already activated on 2 computers
                JeffreyOD Adobe Employee

Glad to hear it, Bill! And thanks for the tip about adding the 'license' term to that article.

On another front, I'd like to learn a little more about your case, so that we can better plan for situations like yours in the future. Would you be willing to share a little more info about WHY you have both a CC subscription and a perpetual license? Feel free to post here or send me a private message. As I mentioned, it isn't something we hear about every day! Thanks in advance.

• 5. Re: Downloaded and Installed LR6 Standalone, won't run, says already activated on 2 computers
                  Bill Dewey Level 1

More than willing.  I always believe that in order to have the right to complain I really need to be willing to share

There a couple of reasons I have both CC and a Perpetual license.  The main issue is that I have 3 machines that I need to maintain and I know that 2 of them may be in use simultaneously, that being my desktop and the laptop my wife is using.  When I am away from home I have my laptop with may and may need to be using that at any point in time.  In keeping with the license requirements, this requires the additional license.  The cost of volume licensing is much higher, so this works well for me.  The second reason is that should anything occur regarding my subscription, I have the fallback of the latest full version of LR, so this becomes relatively cheap insurance.  The cost of the upgrade every year or two is less than the cost of a second CC subscription.

Feel free to ask any other questions, I am sure my reasoning won't make sense to many, but it makes sense to me.

• 6. Re: Downloaded and Installed LR6 Standalone, won't run, says already activated on 2 computers
                    Foveal1 Level 1

I had exactly the same problem: Lightroom CC 2015 on two desktops; after downloading (and paying for) a standalone LR6 upgrade, I wasn't allowed to activate it because I already have it on 2 computers via CC. I figured the fix was probably to create another Adobe ID; in fact, I've generated a number of Adobe IDs over the years, and probably have the standalone Lightroom 5.7 (which I'm upgrading to 6) registered under one of them.

I was very happy to see the exchange of messages in the thread; now to see if it works for me.

• 7. Re: Downloaded and Installed LR6 Standalone, won't run, says already activated on 2 computers
                      NYNC

Does Adobe have plans to make it easier for users to activate both CC and a standalone Lightroom with Perpetual license? This is not by any means a rare situation.

I had the same problem described by the other users in this forum. Establishing a second Adobe ID account does facilitate activation of Lightroom on a third machine, and I am grateful to the user who publicized this workaround here, but it is neither an intuitive nor desirable solution. In addition, it is not straightforward; the installer does not ask for a serial number up front. One must activate a 30 day trial and exit Lightroom. Only on restart does a screen asking for a serial number finally appear. Adobe chat support staff have not been updated on this process at all. Even after a two hour chat with three different agents, Adobe did not understand the issue much less offer any resolution. Only this forum provided helpful information.