11 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2015 11:55 AM by Ian Lyons

Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?

Henkki Zakkinen

Hi,

I find the new people view and the face recognition very useful. Now, I use several catalogs. LR doesn't seem to share the data needed to recognise faces between catalogs. Is there a way to achieve this? Would be nice to copy the already learned faces over from my portraits catalog to the theatre catalog for example.

Cheers

H

• 2. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?
          Henkki Zakkinen Level 1

There seems to be no way to share face recognition data between catalos #featurerequest

• 3. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?
            Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The face data from one catalog can be imported into another. Likewise, face data can be saved to to a photo (Save metadata to file). If this photo or photos is imported into another catalog the face data will also be imported.

• 4. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?
              Henkki Zakkinen Level 1

Maybe I should phrase the question better: "can the face data be copied without importing the photos?" I do not want to join the catalogs, but I have several people appearing in both.

Maybe I am just asking because I do not understand the way face recognition works. I have an inkling that there is no separate "facial properties" data accumulated, but in fact a photo by photo comparison is executed. Is that the case??

• 5. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?
                frank123456 Level 1

OK, you say that I can create a new catalog, import from every recognized person one pic - doesn’t matter which one, and I'm fine?

• 6. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?

You must import the photos. This is the case whether you use 'Import from another catalog' or import the photos by themselves.

The facial properties are gathered on a photo by photo basis. When you give multiple faces the same name the data is combined to create record of that faces' characteristics. The more versions of that face you give the same name to the data it has and (in theory) the more likely the algorithms will find that face when the going gets tough (e.g. when person wears glasses, a hat, grows a beard, etc). It's claimed that the algorithms will learn and  identify the same face, even as the person ages.

• 7. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?

Frank Bruss wrote:

OK, you say that I can create a new catalog, import from every recognized person one pic - doesn’t matter which one, and I'm fine?

I would tend to import one that is face on, doesn't have hat or sunglasses, otherwise you should be fine with any face.

• 8. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?
                      Henkki Zakkinen Level 1

Right, so I might be successfull if I imported, say, a dozen or so photos at different lighting, angles, age, hairstyle etc., then try and detect enough shots of the same person in the other catalogue and then remove the imported photos again? I'll give that a try.

• 9. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?

Henrik,

I think giving it a try with a few dozen photos will teach you more about how faces works than any written or video tutorial.

If you scroll about halfway down this page Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 Feature Preview you see some of tips and issues that I've learned after a looooooooooooong love/hate affair with Lr faces. I have to admit the 'love' part lasted less that 30 minutes. Annulment or divorce was not an option ;-)

• 10. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?
                          Henkki Zakkinen Level 1

Ian,

seems like I am experiencing the same you did before. I was overjoyed at first, now pretty well sobered up. Guess I will use the feature, but miracles it does not work. I let it go at a 25000 images catalogue with about 200 different people. I have the impression the more people it gets to see the worse it gets. That's why I had the idea that I might use my portraits cataloge with very clear, identifiable faces as a source for data in the first place.

Well, back to ol' manual tagging

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Henrik

• 11. Re: Can I copy face recognition data between catalogs?

Henrik,

The following is a small section from an illustrated tutorial I was working on. Given the mixed reaction to faces in Lr6 I'm not sure there's much point in finishing it. Anyway, enough of my philosophical...

Things I’ve found make using ‘faces’ faster, less prone to error, and certainly a ’lot’ less irritating:

1. I don’t use auto indexing. Instead, I create a temporary collection then drag only photos with faces into same. Select the collection, tap on the ‘People’ button to begin indexing. When index is complete the process of keywording can begin. I’ve found this approach allows me to quickly identify missing faces (i.e. faces that the facial recognition code didn’t find). When all of the faces have been appropriately named the collection is deleted.

2. I don’t remove a face region unless the subject is definitely not a face.

3. I don’t draw a face region over a subject that is unrecognisable (e.g. back of head, silhouette,  etc). This isn’t because it reduces the accuracy of the AI facial recognition code, just that, in my opinion, it adds no value.

4. I don’t ignore a face. I always assign a name or one of the unnamed person keywords mentioned above.

5. I always, visually recheck the collection to ensure that all of the faces have been found and appropriately identified.

6. I use ‘private’ keywords to help narrow future searches for ‘known unnamed faces’.

7. I use the ’Save metadata’ command to write the face region data and keywords back to the original file.

I don’t photograph people all that often, which probably explains why I find above workflow is more productive than those who would be photographing people regularly.