5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 9:30 AM by A.T. Romano

What version of Premiere Elements do I need to buy?

paul878

I just purchased a camera that outputs 1920 x 1080 24 fps.  My old version of Premiere Elements does not recognize this format.   Are there any that do?

• 1. Re: What version of Premiere Elements do I need to buy?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

paul878

What version of Premiere Elements did not recognize 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second? And, on what computer operating system was it running? The current version of Premiere Elements is 13 which now works from an 13.1 Update.

What are the properties of this file...

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

and/or the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video.

We need to know more about this file and the version of Premiere Elements that would not support it. By non support, do you mean that it would not import or that you could not see a project preset for it when you were setting the project settings for a new project and/or you could not export the file as 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second?

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What version of Premiere Elements do I need to buy?
            paul878 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the reply.  In answer to your Questions,  The Camera is a Cannon SX50 HD.  Per their users manual the video output is:

Image:   H.264

Audio:    Linear PCM (Stereo)

the file has a  ".MOV" extension

I have a very old version of Premier Elements, it is Version 4.  The error message I get when trying to Get Media so I can incorporate it into a PE Movie is "File/Format Not Supported".

I hope this gives you enough info.

• 3. Re: What version of Premiere Elements do I need to buy?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

paul

Thanks for the reply with the details of your Premiere Elements 4.

H.264.mov is supported format for my Premiere Elements 4 on Windows 7 64 bit. It is generally accepted that AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) was not supported until Premiere Elements 7.

I went searching online for a sample download from the Canon SX50HD but could find one. I did find one from SX40HD. The sample was

H.264.mov 1920 x 1080 @ 23.976 progressive frames per second.  In Premiere Elements 4 on Windows 7 64 bit, I went with the NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30 project preset (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic16:9 which is stretched by the 16:9 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding).

The file imported in Premiere Elements 4 without issues. And, I could export it as 1920 x 1080p23.976 H.264.mov in the Share/Personal Computer/QuickTime section of the program, customizing the default preset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset.

At this point, I am not sure if your results of generic error for import of the SX50HD H.264.mov was related to:

a. Not having the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 4

b. The SX50HD H.264.mov being some how different that the SX40HD H.264.mov

c. Other

Although later versions of the program will have more features and default presets in keeping with later cameras and formats, I am not convinced that you cannot acceptably edit and export your video sample from your in Premiere Elements 4.

Please review and consider and then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: What version of Premiere Elements do I need to buy?
                paul878 Level 1

AT Romano,

Your last response gave me clue.  I am using the same Operating System as you are.  The only thing was I did not have Quicktime installed.  I just installed it and I can now bring the filed into my PE4.\ and export it in several file formats.

Thanks very much for your help.  You solved my problem.

Paul

• 5. Re: What version of Premiere Elements do I need to buy?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

paul

Great news. And great job of following through on those details to gain your success with your Premiere Elements 4 projects. Versions after 10 have markedly different workspaces and many new features. If and when you decide that you need more features than 4 can supply, before purchase please look at the tryout of whatever is the current version to assure its compatibility with your computer environment and project goals.

Best wishes as you move forward with these projects.

ATR