18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 2:55 PM by J.P. Owens

Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled

Elliott Coleman

My graphics card is OpenGL compatible and it is shown in the preferences under performance.

When the GPU setting is turned on my develop module is extremely slow. Turning it off is faster and more like LR 5 performance.

All the hype about GPU acceleration and in reality is slows me down.

I've also noticed then if you have an image open and then open the preferences windows and toggle the GPU setting on and off, the image changes.

When I say changes, I mean the image becomes lighter or darker as if the exposure or whites/blacks is being changed.

• 1. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are the specs of your PC and what type of graphic card are you using.

It's hard to imagine, but if it is a slow card and you have a powerful PC, software instead of AGP accelerated operations may be faster - as it seems.

• 2. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
            Elliott Coleman Level 1

I have a 2012 iMac 27". The info from LR is as follows.

Lightroom version:  CC 2015 [1014445]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.10 [3]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.9 GHz

Built-in memory: 24,576.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 24,576.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1,224.5 MB (4.9%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2,233.9 MB

Memory cache size: 628.7 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1366x768, 3) 1920x1080

Graphics Processor Info:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 4.1 NVIDIA-10.2.7 310.41.25f01

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M OpenGL Engine

LanguageVersion: 4.10

• 3. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
              Elliott Coleman Level 1

Okay, this is not a scientific experiment, but if I open Activity monitor and monitor LR CPU using I find the following when painting some exposure with a brush.

GPU turned off.

CPU using sites around 3-4% until I start to brush it then jumps to around 60%

GPU turned on.

CPU is idle at around 3-4% but jumps to 90-130% when brushing with the same brush.

I thought GPU acceleration was meant to take processing away from the main CPU??

I must say thought that simple tasks such as basic exposure etc are much smoother.

• 4. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your combination should definitely gain from the GPU acceleration. Are you using the latest driver for the graphic card?

Unfortunately, I am not a MAC guy. Somebody else needs to jump in here ... Sorry.

• 5. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                  Elliott Coleman Level 1

You can't individually update the graphics drivers on a Mac. This is all included in the OSX updates which is all up to date.

I've also just tried applying brush edits in ACR 9.0 and it so much smoother than LR.

I can't see anywhere in ACR to turn GPU on or off, so I assume it's just enabled if your card supports it.

Edit: I found out where to turn off GPU in ACR and I would say it is slightly faster in ACR with GPU turned off as well, but not by much. ACR overall is MUCH faster than LR

• 6. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Well There you go.

Elliott Coleman wrote:

I have a 2012 iMac 27". The info from LR is as follows.

• 7. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                      Elliott Coleman Level 1

Did you have anything helpful to add?

• 8. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled

To your other post about turn GPU acceleration off in ACR. Open Bridge, go to the Edit menu item, at the bottom of the list you will see CR Preferences. In that at the bottom of the page/window you will see a check mark box to turn on or off GPU.

• 9. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                          FuturusX

I found very similar results with just basic exposure slider tests across my systems. I'm definitely seeing worse performance when GPU acceleration is enabled. I tested using 3 different cards on 2 systems. Incidentally, you can update Nvidia drivers and thus bypassing the drivers provided by Apple. Google "nvidia web driver 10.10.2". (Be sure to backup time machine before you install anything). I don't think it will make a difference in your setup though. I have the very latest Nvidia driver installed on one of my systems, and saw the same poor performance.

I have no exhaustive evidence but I wonder if the benefits of GPU acceleration are very limited right now, perhaps only a few GPUs are seeing optimal performance, and most perhaps, benefit from allowing the CPU to perform background tasks as a result of the GPU performing the task. Though in your tests with GPU acceleration turned on you saw higher CPU usage spikes....so.

Anyway I'm going to run some more tests but it's not promising thus far.

• 10. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                            landoloons Level 1

I think Adobe should post some straight information on what systems will actually get GPU acceleration - so we could decide whether to pay for the upgrade.  I got it yesterday, and was able to get acceleration working by updating drivers, but I'm not seeing any difference.  Acceleration was my only reason for buying LR6.

• 11. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                              Elliott Coleman Level 1

i have to agree. I have CC so got the upgrade without having to buy it, but the GPU acceleration was the only real new development I was looking forward to.

Panoramas and HDR, I will probably never use.

faces is a nice gimmick, but not a feature that was on my wish list.

I must say, I'm very disappointed and I hope they sort things out soon.

are you listening Adobe??

• 12. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                                adamnz Level 1

I'm running a I7-4790k and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti and I'm getting noticeably slower rendering of images when I flick between them and/or zoom in to 1:1 with the new GPU option enabled.  When I turn it off performance is more in line with Lightroom 5.  I have the most up to date drivers and my system is all run of SSD's.  It would be nice for adobe to explain what the problem is?  I have to say that even when simply using the sliders I didn;t notice any kind of improvement, if anything it was more jumpy than before.  

edit

Just did a very basis check and when I toggle the exposure slider back and forward with the GPU on the CPU usage is about 20% higher than when it is off.  That cant be right.  ADOBE WHATS UP?

• 13. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                                  Joshua Cohen Level 3

Elliott Coleman wrote:

No, most likely Adobe is not listening.

• 14. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                                    J.P. Owens Level 1

I agree with Adamnz. I have a slightly older system but using CC 6 is like going back to the early releases of 5.x when the clone tool was jerking around the screen.

• Painting with a brush and the mask showing makes the lag time visible.
                                    • Jerky tool movements... like trying to paint with Parkinson's.
                                    • Screen blackouts while refreshing images.
                                    • Slow screen refreshes between images.
                                    • CPU usage slightly higher (60%) with GPU enabled

But since this version created a "New and Improved" catalog I can't (i don't think) go back to 5.x...

BTW, I have been waiting for a call back from support for an hour when the stated call back time was 25 to 30 minutes... Not Good.

Here are my specs in case Adobe is listening....

Lightroom version: CC 2015.0.1 [ 1018573 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Business Edition

Version: 6.3 [9600]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.3 GHz

Built-in memory: 16366.4 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16366.4 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 3261.9 MB (19.9%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3324.1 MB

Memory cache size: 1469.4 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 2560x1440

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 350.12

Renderer: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: D:\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Dim\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) DxO Optics Pro 9

4) DxO Optics Pro 9 Importer

5) Facebook

6) Flickr

7) Leica Tether Plugin

8) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Updated Toolkit: Adobe Camera Raw 9.0 for Lightroom 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Book Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Develop Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Import Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Library Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Map Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Monitor Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Print Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Slideshow Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Web Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgNetClient 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgWFBridge 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.Headlights 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.LibraryToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.MultiMonitorToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.archiving_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.bridgetalk 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.catalogconverters 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.cef_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.coretech_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.curculio 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.discburning 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.email 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.export 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ftpclient 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.help 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.iac 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.imageanalysis 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.layout_module_shared 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.pdf_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sdk 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sec 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.socket 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.store_provider 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.substrate 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ui 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.video_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.xml 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.wichitafoundation 6.0 (build 1014445)

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de

D

• 15. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled

Sure you can go back to LR5. The LR5 Catalog is still on your system and if you didn't uninstall LR5 that is still on your system. The only thing that is missing is the images you have taken since starting to use LR6 and those are on your system also and all you have to do is import them to the LR5 catalog.

J.P. Owens wrote:

I agree with Adamnz. I have a slightly older system but using CC 6 is like going back to the early releases of 5.x when the clone tool was jerking around the screen.

• Painting with a brush and the mask showing makes the lag time visible.
                                      • Jerky tool movements... like trying to paint with Parkinson's.
                                      • Screen blackouts while refreshing images.
                                      • Slow screen refreshes between images.
                                      • CPU usage slightly higher (60%) with GPU enabled

But since this version created a "New and Improved" catalog I can't (i don't think) go back to 5.x...

BTW, I have been waiting for a call back from support for an hour when the stated call back time was 25 to 30 minutes... Not Good.

• 16. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                                        Keith_Reeder Level 4

Elliott Coleman wrote:

You do realise that this is a user-to-user forum, don't you? You're not talking to Adobe here.

• 17. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                                          amandajm13

I have been experiencing the same issues on my system as well and to answer landoloons Adobe has came out and said what cards are acceptable here  Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Lightroom Graphics Processor Acceleration (GPU) Troubleshooting & FAQ. I've read through all post and I'm not trying to be rude when I say this but adamnz is the only one that has actual specs listed everyone else has only listed a vague list of information that helps no one. Although everyone has listed their GPUs which helps a small amount. Please if you guys can get more detailed with your system specs for everyone that comes onto this post and encase Adobe does happen to drop in they will also have a better understanding of how they should approach our problem.

My System Specs:

4770k 3.9Mhz turbo

16 GB Ram 1600Mhz

GTX 970 stock speeds

2 Crucial MX200 500 GB in RAID 0

• 18. Re: Lightroom slower when GPU acceleration is enabled
                                            J.P. Owens Level 1

My post lists all the data needed...

I also contacted Adobe service and shared screens to show that...

1: LR6 is 2x slower than LR 5.7

2: Using the GPU makes no impact on speed.

The tech took over my computer and after running some tests could not make any improvements. The tech then took a system config file and said that it would be reviewed by engineering. Then I was told they would get back to me within 48 hours with a response.

Update, or should I say Lack of Update....  It is now a month down the road and Adobe has NOT gotten back to me in any way at all. System specs or not, fix or not, common courtesy for a paying (monthly) customer is the least they can do.