9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2015 9:36 AM by johnrellis

Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name

soccerkingpilot Level 1

I downloaded Lightroom CC last night and came up with the following question:

I have an uncle and a cousin with the same name...can Lightroom create two different "people" or will I need to name them each differently? I'm guessing it's the latter but figured I'd pose the question in case there is an alternate solution.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name
          MarcoKlompalberts Level 1

Call one "cousin John" and the other "uncle John" to make them unique.

For identifying people in Lightroom (even before face recognition) I assigned non-exporting names that started with a number (that I got from my genealogy software). I have a synonym set to export. So I would be tagged RIN051_Marco and I can filter any photo by searching for that number. But on export, it only shows Marco as a name.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
            I have an uncle and a cousin with the same name...can Lightroom create two different "people" or will I need to name them each differently?

Another alternative: You can create hierarchies of person keywords, just as with regular keywords.    So you might put the uncle and cousin under different parent keywords.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name
              soccerkingpilot Level 1

Can you build out your "parent keyword" idea a little more? I haven't played around with keyword hierarchies.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name
                Simon G E Garrett Level 2

Can you not persuade one of them to change their name?

• 5. Re: Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name

You might have a keyword for each family grouping, e.g. "John Ellis Family" and "Steve Ellis Family", and then place the keywords for the members of each under those parents.  E.g. under "John Ellis Family" you'd have "John Ellis", "Mary Ellis", "Jane Ellis", etc.   And under "Steve Ellis Family", you might have "Steve Ellis", "Kathryn Ellis", and "John Ellis" (a different John Ellis).

• 6. Re: Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name
                    soccerkingpilot Level 1

Simon G E Garrett wrote:

Can you not persuade one of them to change their name?

I really want to mark this correct but I feel like the moderators wouldn't like that

• 7. Re: Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name
                      soccerkingpilot Level 1

That's a good idea...I think you may have changed my entire key-wording methodology! I can see many hours being spent applying a hierarchy to all my Lightroom keywords.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name
                        MarcoKlompalberts Level 1

johnrellis schreef:

You might have a keyword for each family grouping, e.g. "John Ellis Family" and "Steve Ellis Family", and then place the keywords for the members of each under those parents.  E.g. under "John Ellis Family" you'd have "John Ellis", "Mary Ellis", "Jane Ellis", etc.   And under "Steve Ellis Family", you might have "Steve Ellis", "Kathryn Ellis", and "John Ellis" (a different John Ellis).

It's a good idea to work with hierarchies. But for the face option to work, you will have to have two unique names.

I just did a quick test.

I have some images of twins in my catalogue, Tom and Boris.

Under them, I created a "name" Twin. Because of the hierarchy, I can apply Boris>Twin to one image, Tom>Twin to another and both of them to a third photo.

So I drag a name box around them and type "Twin". The drop down (auto fill) lets me choose between two identical looking entries called "twin". No way of knowing which one to pick. And maybe you've noticed that the auto fill drop down list starts with entries you used recently. So no good remembering that the top "Twin" will always be "Boris" for example.

The count of used keywords only goes up for one of them if I happen to use the same entry twice.

The only way for this to work (as far as I can tell now) is to drag the appropriate "Twin" from the keywordlist onto the right face in the People view (O).

I work with hierarchies, but I make sure I have unique names.

Also, I don't use spaces in the names, but rather JohnEllis, SteveEllis, etc. That way, if I have a very long list with Ellis members and also a lot of people called John or Steve, it's much easier to narrow the search for a particular person (like in smart collections).

Opening the properties for the keyword, I make sure that "include on export" is NOT on, so you won't see that strange looking name Number123JohnEllis in your exported image.

I have "export containing keywords" and "export synonyms" (and now with LR CC of course "Person") checked. As a synonym, you can put "John, Ellis, John Ellis, Steve Ellis family" and all of these will export.

Hope this makes sense.

Like John suggests, if you already create the Ellis Family>Steve Ellis Family>John Ellis>John>Numer123JohnEllis then you don't have to enter the synonyms, as long as you have "export containing keywords" on all of them checked, as well as "include on export" (except for the Number123JohnEllis keyword which shouldn't have "include on export" checked).

Working with hierarchies can really help you in your keywording. But it will take some time to set it up.

• 9. Re: Lightroom Faces: Two People with the Same Name

LR face tagging has some bugs when working with hierarchical keywords:

Lightroom: Face tagging with Parent > Child keyword notation causes errors

Lightroom: Face tagging doesn't correctly auto-complete hierarchical keywords

I think Marco's suggestion is the only way to distinguish hierarchical keywords of the same name when face tagging:

The only way for this to work (as far as I can tell now) is to drag the appropriate "Twin" from the keyword list onto the right face in the People view (O).