13 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2015 8:10 PM by A.T. Romano

How to combine two PE11 projects into one?

moswey Level 1

Hello everybody!

Please can someone tell me if and how I can combine two PE11 projects into one?

I have made a recording of a 3h concert, however my computer can not handle that amount of data in one project. So I made 3 different projects, one for each hour. In the end, after cutting away all the parts that will not be used in each project, I would like to make a short clip combining material from all the 3 projects. I know in Premiere Pro it is via the "file - import" feature. Is it not possible to do that in PE11?

Thank you for your help and best regards

Moswey

• 1. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

moswey

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

If Windows...your choices

1. ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

or

2. Export the Timeline content of project 1 to file saved to the computer hard drive (file in format consistent with project settings of project 2. Then import that project 1 export into project 2.

If Mac....your choice

Is "2" from above since ClipMate is Windows only software.

Please consider. If any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
            moswey Level 1

Thank you ATR!

I am using Mac OX Yosemite.

I see how to export, but don't understand how to import a project file?

Thank you and best regards

Moswey

• 3. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Moswey

Thanks for the reply and the request for the clarification.

You cannot import one project file into another. But, you can import the export from each of project 1, 2, 3, etc into another project X. At this point, consider the exports from project 1, 2, 3, etc as source media for the recipient project X.

If the project that is going to receive these exports is set up for 1920 x 1080p30, then you export the Timeline content from each of projects 1, 2, 3, etc to a 1920 x 1080p30 file saved to the computer hard drive. Then you import each of those files into the 1920 x 1080p30 project X that you have set up ahead of time to receive them via project X's Add Media/Files and Folders from the computer hard drive.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I am not sure where on Mac you would be holding your source media files.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above explanation. If not, I will re-write...please let me know where I need to clarify further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                moswey Level 1

Thank you for your explanation.

This way I only get the imported file as one video and one audio time line that are not further editable, right?. Is there no way that I can import the whole timeline with all 5 camera and 7 audio lines for further editing?

The command "Export" in the File menu is greyed out.

I hope it is understandable what I am writing - I am using a German version of PE11.

Moswey

• 5. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

moswey

In older versions of Premiere Elements (last one 7), the File Menu/Export/Movie was used as a Share (now known as Publish+Share in 11, 12, and 13) alternative. But, that gave a video file export, not any opportunity to export portions of the Timeline tracks.

If you were on a Windows computer, you could use ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements for the copy/paste insert of Timeline components from one project to another. ClipMate is Windows only, and I do not know of a Mac counterpart. But, wait.

I may have just found something for you that I dug out of my past - in 2011, a Premiere Elements 9 Mac user pointed to a software named Savvy Clipboard v.2.9.2 for a copy/paste between Premiere Elements Mac projects.

This is the link to the 2011 Elements Village thread which will go out of existence at the end of May 2015 along with Elements Village

Tip for Transferring Between Projects on Premiere Elements 9 Mac - Elements Village

and this is the link to the Savvy Clipboard web site which is mentioned in the 2011 Elements Village thread

Savvy Clipboard / Products Helping You Work Smart — BlitzClick Software    

The "exporting Timeline to file" alternative is not ideal for you if you have significant further edits of it in project 2. I do not know how much is to be gained by doing this and then trying to take it apart with trimming tools which will not separate the track to track components.

Please let us know the outcome if you do explore the Savvy Clipboard for a copy/paste of Premiere Elements Mac Timeline components between projects.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                    moswey Level 1

Thank you ATR, I appreciate your help! I will try that with the Clipboard and let you know.

Best regards

Moswey

• 7. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                      moswey Level 1

Dear ATR

Unfortunately breaking down the project in 3 pieces has not solved my problem, I can not work with the file because it is so slow that it's impossible to work (I don't mean that I have to work slowly, but that it is really not possible, after each click I wait 5-10min until I can continue.) I don't understand what is going on - I am working on a brand new MacPro with OS Yosemite, lots of free disk space, converted all video material to constant frame rate (as you had suggested to me a few weeks ago), deleted one video file to make the whole thing smaller - now I have a 20min project with 4 video and 2 audio lines, rendered the whole thing and still I can't play back more than 5sec before the whole thing stops again for a few minutes.

What else can I try? It can't be the capacity of my computer...

Moswey

• 8. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

moswey

I have thought about the situation that you faced as of post numbered 7.

I see either a computer that needs optimization or some media files that may be corrupt.

1. Please check the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder, Media Files Folder. What is the folder size in each case? If huge, then delete the contents of each. Also go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Database area, and hit the Clean button. Worse case scenario for the preview files is you will need to render files in the project that you just unrendered by the deletion. Worse case scenario for the conformed audio and conformed video files is that the deleted files will be generated automatically by the program when and if the program needs them.

Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner for Mac OS X

First try for success in producing 1/3 of the project as it relates to

now I have a 20min project with 4 video and 2 audio lines, rendered the whole thing and still I can't play back more than 5sec before the whole thing stops again for a few minutes.

2. Are there any specific files that you are editing when the program goes into "slow motion" performance? Are there any specific effects applications that are associated with these slow times? Do you do video stabilization to a great extent?

Let us factor in or out any of the above and then decide where that leaves us.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                          moswey Level 1

Dear ATR

Thank you so much for your efforts!

I am working on a brand new Mac Pro that I have not been using for anything else than two video projects (bought it in Feb 2015). (One 40min project which worked fine, and now the 3h concert). I have nothing else on that computer, not even a mail program or anything.

My colleague is working on the same project with a copy of my video material on his older Mac Pro using Final Cut Pro, and not facing these problems. Of course he tells me to switch to Final Cut, however I would hate to do that since all the know-how about PE11 that I have gained in the past months (also with your great help) would be lost and I would have to learn a new program from scratch.

The Preview Files Folder is 782MB, I guess that is acceptable.

I hit the clean button under „media“, thank you, that I had not know about before! However it did not solve the problem.

I had been looking for large files using „DiskWave“ Software and there is 19GB in the "Library" Folder unter „Application Support“, „Adobe“, „Common“, not really sure if I can delete that (I even had to force the computer to show these system files to me in the first place).

I have not applied any effects whatsoever. However what I did, and I am not sure if that might have caused the problem, I placed a piece of music that the band played towards the end of the concert as the beginning of my clip. Then more parts of the same original video follow not in the same order as they appear on the original (90min long) .mov file. Can PE11 not cope with that?

Thank you very much for your help and best regards

Moswey

• 10. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Moswey

Sorry for the delay. Detours.

What is the duration of the special beginning that you have created for the main Timeline content?

If you do not use this special content, do your workflow problems get better, stay the same, or even get worse?

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I am not sure what is in that Common Folder in the path Library/Application Support/Adobe/....seems like a large amount 19 GB. What are the file names for some of the Common Folder's files that are contributing to the 19 GB Common Folder size. (It is the Common Folder that has the 19 GB size and not a single file in that folder - right?)

Do you have an opportunity to confer with the Apple people about the operation of the Mac computer that you are using?

At the present time, is there a minimum size project that you can work with in order to avoid the problems that you describe? If so, what is that minimum size? This question goes back to when you wrote

now I have a 20min project with 4 video and 2 audio lines, rendered the whole thing and still I can't play back more than 5sec before the whole thing stops again for a few minutes.

Please remind me, what can you not playback in that report

a. the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor

and/or

b. the export from that Timeline in a computer player or other standalone player?

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                              moswey Level 1

Dear ATR

Thank you for your answer.

What is the duration of the special beginning that you have created for the main Timeline content?

If you do not use this special content, do your workflow problems get better, stay the same, or even get worse?

It’s not that there is a special content. I am just using parts of the clip not in the same order as they appear in the original video file. I can not „not use it“, the whole piece is now cut in many pieces, I can not add it back together as it was before unless I start from scratch again.

What are the file names for some of the Common Folder's files that are contributing to the 19 GB Common Folder size. (It is the Common Folder that has the 19 GB size and not a single file in that folder - right?)

I am now on the road with my laptop, I will look it up on the Mac Pro when I come home (in a few days). The single files are up to 2 GB.

At the present time, is there a minimum size project that you can work with in order to avoid the problems that you describe? If so, what is that minimum size?

I have just completed a 35min project with the material of the first band of that evening (all original files in the same video and audio format as the file causing the problems), and experienced no problem at all.

Please remind me, what can you not playback in that report

a. the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor

and/or

b. the export from that Timeline in a computer player or other standalone player?

I can not work on it, as in a), not playback the timeline content, but also for every click like a cut or selection, it takes ages (like 5-10min). However I can export it allright.

Best regards and thank you for you time

Moswey

• 12. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                                moswey Level 1

Dear ATR

I realize that I am not able to provide you with enough information for you to find out what the problem might be. I can not send you the 300 GB Project to have a look at it ;-) However, please can you tell me if you think it's possible that using several clips out of a 90min video and moving them in a different order than they appear in the original video could cause the problem? Have you seen people do that without having problems, or am I trying something that the program is not designed for?

Thank you very much for your help and best regards

Moswey

• 13. Re: How to combine two PE11 projects into one?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

moswey

Thanks for the follow ups.

Right now the only way I see for problems related to moving several clips and reordering them is if in the process you are disturbing the Timeline structure. If you expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline, can you see any evidence of that happening

a. gaps in audio

b. fragments of from the clips moved of cut by the moving procedure

c. transition placement disturbances

d. other

I am wondering if there is any merit in creating and exporting that first section as a separate file and then importing that file in the project with the main segment?

In doing any of these mini test runs and exploring suspected areas that need attention, consider working from a copy of your original project so that you see what works and does not work in the copy and then go back to the original where you make the real changes that are proven winners in the copy project.

ATR