4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 6:07 AM by RzzB

Sort by Edit Time and Edit Count not working.

RzzB Level 1

Sort by Edit Time and Edit Count are not working as I expect them to.

If I go to a particular folder and sort by Edit Time, I do get the most recently edited file at the top of the list. However, the next three files have not been edited at all. The next is an edited file - then followed by some more unedited files. Etc...

Similar when I try sorting by Edit Count.

Any thoughts as to why this might be? Is my understanding of an "Edit" wrong?

Using Windows 7, Lightroom CC.  159000 files in catalogue.

Thanks,

Roy

• 1. Re: Sort by Edit Time and Edit Count not working.
          Jim Wilde Level 5

The unedited files aren't part of a stack, are they? With one of the stack being edited, the others not.....so the edited one gets sorted in the correct place, and it's unedited co-members of the stack are kept alongside....hence the oddity. I can see that in a quick look at my catalog, so t's one potential explanation for what you're seeing.

Of course, if that's not the case then either there's another explanation that I can't think of at the moment, or you've found a bug.

• 2. Re: Sort by Edit Time and Edit Count not working.
            RzzB Level 1

No - that was my first thought and the first thing I checked.

Oh - I just went to check how close the shots were taken, and I have stumbled across the answer. Indeed it seems that my understanding of "Edit" is wrong.

When I checked I found there was a new file at the top of the list. It had no edits. I then realised that, just a few moments ago, I had picked and then unpicked this file. It seems that picking, starring, colouring all count as edits. My expectation was that it applied to "Edits" made in the Development module. Hmmm... that's not useful is it... why would you want it to work like that. I guess that is editing the file - but it's not editing the image.

Oh dear. I should have done this first I guess, but I just went to Lightroom Help to see if I could find a definition of "Edit". When I click on Help it takes me to a missing tapatalk page! :-(

The Edit Count doesn't seem to have been affected by changing pick/starring/colouring... I wonder what it's counting? I can't find anything in the online help.

Roy

• 3. Re: Sort by Edit Time and Edit Count not working.
              RzzB Level 1

I take it back - Picking etc do seem to affect the Edit Count ...