4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 2:17 PM by jeromer14258438

Catalogs and photos missing in LR.

jeromer14258438

I opened LR on April 21, and version 5.71 was on my computer and all catalogs, photos were missing. Photoshop CC seems to be fine. All of my photos are on the hard drive in the original RAW format. I have a back up of LR dated April 15. I logged onto Adobe, and my CC membership is up to date.

• 1. Re: Catalogs and photos missing in LR.
          Joshua Cohen Level 3

Have your searched your hard drive using your operating system for your catalog (.lrcat)? While we're at it what is your operating system? Since you don't mention LR 6 I'm assuming you have not upgraded yet. Is that true? You say your photos are missing but then you say they are on your external hard drive. Is it possible you accidentally started a new catalog? Try to open recent catalogs and see if your true catalog is there. Perhaps you did upgrade to LR 6 but answered "no" to the offer to upgrade your LR5 catalog. This would have created a new empty catalog. If this is so, then find your latest LR 5 catalog and open it with LR 6 and allow it to get upgraded.

• 2. Re: Catalogs and photos missing in LR.
            jeromer14258438 Level 1

I have spent hours on this today. I explicitly followed the instructions and tried other catalogs. The actual RAW files are on the hard drive, on a back up drive, and stored in two cloud services. I have the photos, but they are not showing in LR. I used Scott Kelby's manual in an effort to restore from a disaster, but no success. I get a message that says the lrcat file is not writetable and cannot be opened

• 3. Re: Catalogs and photos missing in LR.
              dj_paige Level 9

I have spent hours on this today. I explicitly followed the instructions and tried other catalogs.

I don't know what this means or what you did but could we get an explicit yes or no answer to Joshua Cohen's question: Have your searched your hard drive using your operating system for your catalog (.lrcat)?

And could we get an explicit answer to his next question: While we're at it what is your operating system?

I get a message that says the lrcat file is not writetable and cannot be opened

So on the one hand, you claim your catalogs are missing "all catalogs, photos were missing", on the other hand you "tried other catalogs" and on the third hand the .lrcat file is not writeable and cannot be opened. Could you state exactly what steps you are following, and exactly what is the catalog's full name?

• 4. Re: Catalogs and photos missing in LR.
                jeromer14258438 Level 1

OS: Windows 8.1. I had Five catalogs in LR 5.7, but only use catalog 5. None of the catalogs are showing. I have been a CC member for two years and upgraded LR CC, and it opened without any photos. As I mentioned, I have the RAW files backed up. I most recently did a LR back up on April 15. The file I am trying to restore is titled Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat