10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 2:59 PM by micahdiamond

Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"

micahdiamond

I've got tens of thousands of images in my primary Lightroom catalog (all in DNG format) and I've noticed things have begun to get a bit sluggish recently. I'm considering turning off the option to "automatically write changes into XMP" to speed things up, but I just wanted to verify how best to "manually write changes into XMP" after working with my catalog for a while.

Please advise. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I always have it on, don't see any issues with speed. I too use DNG and find this rather invaluable since all the changes are applied into the DNG container so I don't have to depend on this information being in the catalog itself. That said, if you have 100 DNG's and all you do is add a keyword or anything else that gets written to DNG, that will trigger that file and all 99 others for backup. Since I do this unattended at night, it's not a big deal but worth knowing about.

Did you try optimizing your catalog?

• 2. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
            dj_paige Level 9

I've got tens of thousands of images in my primary Lightroom catalog (all in DNG format) and I've noticed things have begun to get a bit sluggish recently

There are lots of reasons for catalog slowness, and I suspect that "Automatically write changes to XMP" turned on would be way far down the list of possible suspects.

Exactly what functions in Lightroom are slow? Have you optimized your catalog recently?

And as long as we're asking questions, what version of Lightroom and what operating system?

• 3. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
              micahdiamond Level 1

I am using Lightroom CC and OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 running on my 27" iMac with a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor with 32GB of RAM. My hardware and software isn't the issue... and I have optimized my catalog recently.

Truth is I'm considering disabling this option only temporarily while I use Lightroom CC's new Face Recognition feature to tag thousands and thousands of photos, which I've noticed is quite sluggish when I try applying a tag to hundreds of faces at once. Once I've tagged those hundreds of faces, it takes roughly 20-30 seconds to recalculate "Similar" faces for me to continue tagging. I thought that maybe disabling "Automatically write changes to XMP" while I'm doing the heavy lifting of tagging these thousands of faces might speed things up, and then at the end of the day I could manually apply the metadata changes to the DNG files for all images with newly tagged faces... then turn the option to "Automatically write changes to XMP" back on once I'm done using Face Recognition for my initial mass tagging.

I figured it's worth a shot to try speeding things up a bit... Can you just confirm for me how to manually apply metadata changes if I do 'temporarily' turn this feature off? Do I "select all" to select every image in my catalog then right click on them and choose 'Save Metadata'? Or do I simply right click the top-most parent folder in my catalog and synchronize the folder and specify to scan for metadata updates? Or is there some other way it's supposed to be done that I'm missing?

Or have I already wasted more time writing this response that I would likely have saved tagging the faces of thousands of photos with "Automatically write changes to XMP" disabled?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
                dj_paige Level 9

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. It takes a long time to do face recognition and find "similar faces". It is a function of your CPU speed, not of the fact that you have turned on or off the option to write metadata to XMP.

• 5. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
                  micahdiamond Level 1

While you may very well be correct, I'd still like to try it out to see if it does speed things up at all, and if you could humor me and tell me which of the options to manually write changes to XMP I've listed (or didn't list) is best, I'd really appreciate it.

• 6. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
                    micahdiamond Level 1

While we're on the subject of speeding things up in Lightroom, I had a quick question I'd like your guys' feedback on with regards to the read/write speed of the hard drive I am currently using to store my Lightroom Catalogs and RAW images on. I am currently using a Drobo 5D connected via thunderbolt, which has a pretty crappy read/write speed. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test gives me the following results for the Drobo 5D:

img_20150423_013236.png

Do you guys think I would see dramatic improvements to Lightroom's performance overall if I were to copy my catalogs to a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD I have, Blackmagic Disk Speed Test gives me the following results for:

img_20150423_014510.png

This 1TB drive definitely isn't sufficient to store all of my DNG images, but it will store my catalog. Would there be an observable increase in performance if I ran the catalog from the SSD and just kept the RAW images on the Drobo, or would it only make sense to try if I kept both the DNG originals and the Lightroom catalog on the SSD? Or would using the SSD over the Drobo 5D make any difference to begin with, regardless of where I store what?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
                      dj_paige Level 9

Again, you need to specify what areas of Lightroom you'd like to have sped up. Many activities (such as the one you mentioned, face recognition) depend on CPU and not disk speed.

It certainly doesn't make any sense to move your original or DNG photos to a faster disk, this will produce such trivial speed improvements that you won't notice at all.

• 8. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
                        micahdiamond Level 1

Thanks for your feedback.

Can you please humor me and tell me which of the options to manually write changes to XMP I've listed (or didn't list) is best? Do I "select all" to select every image in my catalog then right click on them and choose 'Save Metadata'? Or do I simply right click the top-most parent folder in my catalog and synchronize the folder and specify to scan for metadata updates? Or is there some other way it's supposed to be done that I'm missing?

• 9. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
                          Simon G E Garrett Level 2

micahdiamond wrote:

While you may very well be correct, I'd still like to try it out to see if it does speed things up at all, and if you could humor me and tell me which of the options to manually write changes to XMP I've listed (or didn't list) is best, I'd really appreciate it.

If you turn the "write xmp..." option off and later want to turn it on, and catch up with the writing to xmp, so to speak, I think you can do it in a few ways.  One is to select all the images in a folder or collection, right click and choose Metadata, and then "save metadata to files".

If there are too many folders or collections affected to want to do it that way, I think you can select a parent folder, right click, and there's an option "Save metadata" that writes all metadata to files (i.e. xmp sidecar files for raws). 

• 10. Re: Disabling "Automatically write changes into XMP"
                            micahdiamond Level 1

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!