28 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 9:39 PM by bluebonnet61

Lightroom 6 won't launch.

paulh921 Level 1

Have reinstalled as recommended. Have also changed permissions on the Adobe SL Cache file as recommended; still not running! Any advice would be welcome. Running on Windows 7 Professional X64. Lightroom 5.7 launches fine! DOH!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How did you obtain the LR6 installer file? What actually happens (in detail) when you try to launch LR6? Do you have an actual LR6 shortcut to the 'lightrrom.exe' file. Right click on it and select 'Properties' and then 'Shortcut' tab:

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
            paulh921 Level 1

Thanks for responding so quickly.

The adobe creative cloud app indicated there was an update available for Lightroom, which I downloaded and installed.

The properties file has the shortcut to the Lightroom.exe file. I checked that the 'exe' file actually exists.

I have tried launching the Lightroom. exe file from the containing folder. In both cases neither the shortcut nor the Exe file results in any action. Just dead!

The software was installed to my C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ directory.

What is also a bit odd is that Bridge and Photoshop CC were updated at the same time and thay appear to be working fine!

Should I uninstall and try to reinstall the package?

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Best regards,

Paul

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

If you have a CC plan then LR CC should have been installed, not LR 6. Perhaps you are mistaken.

Try signing out and back into the Creative Cloud app as outlined here:

Re: lightroom cc 2015 does not start

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                David_Pvlch Level 1

I have the same problem.  I currently have LR 5.7.  I upgraded to 6 last night via download.  It all went smoothly.  However, when the final screen came up and LR6 launched, it started to load and even had the last image that I processed in LR5 was there, but the LR6 image (forest) sits on top.  The little "Loading" dialog box is there, but the little revolving circle is not moving.  If I click on anything, about 1/3 of the upper screen goes black and the mouse pointer goes into circle mode.  One more click and the screen turns that hated translucent white. Another click and you get the "LR not responding" dialog box.  And in between all of this, I get that busy dialog box that recommends that I switch something to fix the problem.  No joy.  I've deleted 6 and reloaded it with the same result.  Fortunately, LR5 still works just fine.  Any ideas?

Thanks!  David

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                  paulh921 Level 1

Hi. Apologies, when I look at the Creative Cloud App it tels me that I have installed Lightroom CC 2015, one day ago.

I noticed that someone solved a similar problem by updating their graphics drivers but I usually get a notification from the Nvidia control panel if a driver update is available.

Could this be a problem with the windows Registry?

Thanks,

Paul

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

David_Pvlch wrote:

I have the same problem.  I currently have LR 5.7.  I upgraded to 6 last night via download.  It all went smoothly.  However, when the final screen came up and LR6 launched, it started to load and even had the last image that I processed in LR5 was there, but the LR6 image (forest) sits on top.  The little "Loading" dialog box is there, but the little revolving circle is not moving.  If I click on anything, about 1/3 of the upper screen goes black and the mouse pointer goes into circle mode.  One more click and the screen turns that hated translucent white. Another click and you get the "LR not responding" dialog box.  And in between all of this, I get that busy dialog box that recommends that I switch something to fix the problem.  No joy.  I've deleted 6 and reloaded it with the same result.  Fortunately, LR5 still works just fine.  Any ideas?

Thanks!  David

Please try the sign out and re-sign in process detailed in my post #3 here.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

paulh921 wrote:

Hi. Apologies, when I look at the Creative Cloud App it tels me that I have installed Lightroom CC 2015, one day ago.

I noticed that someone solved a similar problem by updating their graphics drivers but I usually get a notification from the Nvidia control panel if a driver update is available.

Could this be a problem with the windows Registry?

Thanks,

Paul

Please shutdown and restart your system. Then follow the sign out and re-sign in process detailed in my post #3 here.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                        David_Pvlch Level 1

I'm not using CC.  I have the stand alone LR5 and upgraded to LR6.  If I have the CC ap somewhere, I'm not aware of it.

David

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

Make sure ALL applications are closed during this process and restart your system.

It sounds like your LR5 catalog and Previews were not properly converted.

Rename both of the below in the LR6 folder (NOT the LR5 folder) with a .OLD extension. Mine says CC not sure what LR6 uses:

Delete the LR6 Preferences file. The below shows the location of the LR5 Preferences file. Do NOT delete the LR 5 file! Navigate to the LR6 folder and delete it's Preferences file only:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroom-41.html

Uninstall LR6 and then Reinstall LR6. Try again.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                            David_Pvlch Level 1

I did a couple of searches looking for the above files and apparently either I have no clue what I'm doing or the above two Lightroom CC files don't exist on my computer.  Pretend I have no clue where to look...actually, you don't have to pretend because I have no clue where to look for the two files.  I'm not even a rudimentary IT guy.  I follow instructions very well, but they have to have some detail to point me in the right direction.

Also, I do not use Adobe CC.  It's not on my computer if that has any bearing on these instructions.  I apologize for being kind of short about this, but it is very frustrating that a piece of software is released but can't do what it's supposed to do and that I have to go through all of this when it shouldn't be necessary.

David

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                              David_Pvlch Level 1

Okay...I found the Lightroom 5 catalog files, but cannot find Lightroom CC

catalog files.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                                svein eriko76116435 Level 1

Same problem here. LR 6 launched once. On second launch the App freezes and I have to force quit. I have the LR 6 stand alone version. Reinstalled and installed twice. Still not working. OS: Windows 7 64, Prof. Also installed on MacBook Pro. Seems to function without problems on the Mac so far. On the Windows I have gone back to LR 5.7.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Whew! This was a tricky upgrade.

I didn't install Lr CC 2015 until today, and of course it wouldn't launch. But luckily the sign-out from the CC app worked, which I gather it doesn't for everybody.

First I had to figure out how to get OpenGL working in ACR 9.0. Again, I was lucky enough that the AMD 14.4 version finally worked. But that was after first removing the previous version - and then sitting through a 30-minute AMD installation, 95% of which was spent on some gaming component that I will never have the slightest use for. It's pretty obvious where they have their priorities!

But this is pretty similar to what happened when Photoshop first introduced OpenGL in CS4. It was mayhem. Driver versions kept rolling by, a bug fixed in one inevitably introduced two more. The forum was filled with discussions concentrating on the urgent issue of which driver version actually worked. And if you finally stumbled upon a good version, you held on to it for dear life- they were few and far between.

It wasn't until well into the CS5 cycle that things started settling down.

Anyway, it's up and running now. Can't say I notice any significant speed improvements yet, but we'll see.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

David_Pvlch wrote:

I did a couple of searches looking for the above files and apparently either I have no clue what I'm doing or the above two Lightroom CC files don't exist on my computer.  Pretend I have no clue where to look...actually, you don't have to pretend because I have no clue where to look for the two files.  I'm not even a rudimentary IT guy.  I follow instructions very well, but they have to have some detail to point me in the right direction.

Also, I do not use Adobe CC.  It's not on my computer if that has any bearing on these instructions.  I apologize for being kind of short about this, but it is very frustrating that a piece of software is released but can't do what it's supposed to do and that I have to go through all of this when it shouldn't be necessary.

David

Please re-read my reply #9.....the details are all there with a link to Adobe site showing file folder locations.  The normal location for the LR catalog and Previews folder is here:

Mac OS X

Catalog

/Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat

Preview cache folder

/Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata

Windows 7 & 8

Catalog

C:\Users\[user name]\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat

Preview cache folder

C:\Users\[user name]\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom 5 Previews.lrdata

When you install LR 6 it creates a new catalog file named 'lightroom catalog.lrcat' in the same folder as shown above. It also converts your previews in the Lightroom 5 Previews.lrdata folder to LR 6 format. Please post a screenshot (or type here) of what you see in the Pictures/Lightroom folder and tell me the names of all the files and folders you see.

• 15. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

TO EVERYONE HAVING ISSUE WITH LR 6 STANDALONE INSTALLATIONS

Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?

When installing LR 6 standalone you still need to have an Adobe Creative Cloud account and the Adobe Creative Cloud application installed to initially "activate" your L6 installation. You may also need to sign out of the Creative Cloud account and then sign back into the account so that LR6 can be launched:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/sign-in-out-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

• 16. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                                        David_Pvlch Level 1

Thanks!  What threw me off is your instructions told me to look for

Lightroom CC Reviews, not Lightroom 5 and I couldn't find any CC files.

I'll give it a try this evening.

David

• 17. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

I do not have an CC Account and has not been told this should be necessary. By the way; LR 6 works on the Mac without an CC Account.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                                            paulh921 Level 1

Hi. Uninstalled LR CC through the option in the Creative Cloud APP. Previous uninstalls via Windows Control Panel.

Downloaded LRCC and then signed out of the CCapp and back in again.

LR CC now up and running. Thanks all for advice and help.

Best regards,

Paul

• 19. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

svein eriko76116435 wrote:

I do not have an CC Account and has not been told this should be necessary. By the way; LR 6 works on the Mac without an CC Account.

Does the Windows system have working Internet access? LR 6 has to be activated via the Internet (or phone) before it can be used.

• 20. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

Yes, of cause I'm connected. On launch I log in to my Adobe Account (not CC Account).

• 21. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Give Adobe Customer Support a try and let us know how you make out:

Contact Customer Care

• 22. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                                                    isabel.talensmartin Level 1

I have spent the weekend battling this issue. I tried all advice on line: logging out and back in the Creative Cloud Preference menu, logging through a second account I have with Adobe and trying to boot as a trial, renaming the files in the Programme File (x86) and Programme Data, uninstalling and reinstalling LR6, rebooting the PC, clearing the cash in my pages... I even tried stopping the firewall in case it was blocking something. I could see LR6 in my Windows Start Task Manager but the programme was not appearing in my screen.

I have concluded that my LR6 catalogue file (with all my pictures info) had gone corrupted (this happens from time to time even with LR5 when there is a reading issue). In LR5 and other older versions, the programme will start, will show you the pictures and then give you a message of cache reading issue and crash. In LR6, it seems you see nothing, no message, and you basically don't see LR6 working at all. My way to solve this is to force LR not to find the catalogue file that it last open (for this you change the location of the file in your hard drive). Then LR says to you that it does not find the catalogue and it proposes to open a new one. Say yes. The programme opens. You then will need to open one of your backups from Lightroom (Open New Cataologue), it will reboot, and you should be done...

This was the solution for me, which I have not seen suggested and I am sharing, as it seems there a quite a lot of people where the standard solutions given by Adobe do not work. Good luck!

The bit of advice, always backup your catalogue.

• 23. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.

isabeltalensmartin wrote:

In LR5 and other older versions, the programme will start, will show you the pictures and then give you a message of cache reading issue and crash. In LR6, it seems you see nothing, no message, and you basically don't see LR6 working at all. My way to solve this is to force LR not to find the catalogue file that it last open (for this you change the location of the file in your hard drive). Then LR says to you that it does not find the catalogue and it proposes to open a new one. Say yes. The programme opens. You then will need to open one of your backups from Lightroom (Open New Cataologue), it will reboot, and you should be done...

The message "Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache" indicates an issue with LR's Preview Cache, not the LR Catalog file. See this post on how to fix it:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/frustrated_preview_cache

Forcing LR to open a catalog backup file causes it to build a new Previews database. If you still have the original (newer) LR catalog file it will probably open with no issues by following the instructions at the above link.

• 24. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                                                        shannonh60528561 Level 1

I have the exact same issue David, went on vacation and returned to pull pictures up and lightroom 6 loads with my pics in background, "forest" screen in foreground never goes away, you click anything and it says "lightroom (not responding) at top of window, please help!!

• 26. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                                                          bluebonnet61 Level 1

I'm having the same problem, except I'm using the LR 6 standalone on Windows 7, not CC.    I followed the instructions to rename the 2 files.   When I reopened LR 6 I got error message 16, and it said to uninstall and reinstall LR.

Do I really have to do reinstall it?    I have a deadline for photos tonight and don't have time to reinstall it.

• 27. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                                                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It’s been almost an hour since you asked your question.  A reinstall would have been done by now.  Hopefully you’ve already started that.

• 28. Re: Lightroom 6 won't launch.
                                                              bluebonnet61 Level 1

I only had 4 photos I needed, so I opened LR 5.     I upgraded to LR 6 a few days ago and it was working fine until tonight.   I was afraid a reinstall would cause more problems.