11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 11:26 AM by Iltowman

Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?

Iltowman Level 1

as the subject states, i am suing Premier Elements pro to create a video using photos. The photos are clear then when you play the video they become blurry. I would guess there would be a way to correct this but not having much success. any helps would be great.

• 1. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
          SFL46 Level 3

Do your photo's match your sequence settings.  For example, if you are building a 1920 x 1080 project, are your images that size?  If they are smaller, Premiere Pro will increase their size to fit, but anytime you increase the size of an image you lose quality.  Say your image is 720 x 480, PPro will need to expand your image by 2.6 x on the horizontal and 2.25 on the vertical to get to 1920 x 1080.  PPro can't create pixels that are not there, so the resolution suffers.

Remember that PPro in't concerned with pixels per inch, or inch measurements.  The video frame is based on pixel measurements.

• 2. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If they are too large a pixel size they will also be blurry.

What is the playback resolution set at?  Are they blurry when exported?

Also, this was posted in the Premiere Pro forum, not the Premiere Elements forum.

Note to mod:

Please move to the Premiere Elements forum.

• 4. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Iltowman

Please verify your program. Are you using specifically Premiere Elements, and not Premiere Pro CS6 or CC? And, if you are using Premiere Elements, what version? And, on what computer operating system is it running?

The answers will be in the details, and examining those details should give us the why for your blurry photos.

Assuming Premiere Elements for now....

Setup

Where are the imported photos blurry - in the Edit area monitor before export or after export or both? When you were looking at the photos in the Edit area monitor, were you looking at the playback of a Timeline that has an orange line over its content? (I am getting at whether you were looking at a Timeline rendered or unrendered Timeline for previewing.)

If a blurry export is involved in this, please detail how you exported your Timeline content - exported to file saved to the computer hard drive and then played back with a computer player or other? Export details looked for include: Publish+Share/then what/then what and what preset? Did you use customized export settings or the default settings for the preset selected?

Source

What is the format of these photos, jpeg, psd, or other? What are the pixel dimensions (width and height in pixels) of the photos? How many of them are there in this project?

Are you scaling upward any of these photos once they are imported into the project?

What have you or the project set as the project preset for the project? If you do not know, please tell us what you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Let us start here to build a troubleshooting foundation. If questions or need clarification, please ask. We can go at what troubleshooting pace you want.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
                Iltowman Level 1

Please excuse my ignorance as I have just started using this program. The photos are 3872 x 2592. When i go to the settings, Editing mode is HD 1080i and greyed out. Is there any tutorials out there on this subject?

• 6. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
                  Iltowman Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements on a Mac.

There is an orange line. I have not exported the project yet since they are blurry. There are around 70 photos with no video or audio.

29.97 frames/seconds

1920     1080

square pixels

upper field first

30 fps drop frame

as far as I know I am not scaling any of the photos.

From what I am picking up here, It sounds like I need to upgrade to CS6 to have more control features.

• 7. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Iltowman

Thanks for the follow up. Right now I see details that do need addressing. For one, you are importing 3:2 photos into a project set for 16:9.

You still have not told us what version of Premiere Elements that you are using and on what computer operating system it is running. For now I will assume, Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. NTSC setup.

Please try the following as a mini test run (just a few of your photos) to determine if the Timeline photos present better in the Edit area and in an export.

1. Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to the Expert workspace and go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In Change Settings, change the settings to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

OK out of there.

3. In the New Project Dialog that now opens, rename the project and make sure that you have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project. OK out of there.

4. Back in the Export workspace, import your photos using Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders/Projects Assets from where you drag the photos to the Timeline. There will be an orange line over the Timeline content. Press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard. or the Render button above the Timeline to do Timeline rendering which will result in the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor.

Also, right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then determine if the "Highest" gives better results than "Automatic".

If all looks good, then let us look at the quality of a AVCHD.mp4 export of that Timeline....

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Is the quality of the photos in this mini test run better, the same, or worse?

About your photos (3872 x 2592 3:2)...video is 4:3 or 16:9. So to avoid black borders, you could consider

a. cropping the originals from 3:2 to 16:9 before import

or

b. importing them as is and doing any needed scaling in the Edit area monitor

But, right now the focus is on image clarity rather than black borders.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Iltowman

I did not see your post 6 until after I had hit the Add Reply button for my post numbered 7.

You do not need Premiere Pro CS6 or CC for this. Premiere Elements (assumed 13/13.1) Mac should do the job for you.

By the way, if your version is Premiere Elements 13, have you updated 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do so.

Please review my mini test run idea to get started with this and then we can decide what next based on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
                        Iltowman Level 1

I am running  Adobe Premiere Elements 13 on a Mac book Pro with OS X Yosemite 10

With the changes the photos are a lot better. just a little fuzzy now

Thanks for all of the help. In a matter of minutes I have learned so much more about Premiere Elements. 

• 10. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Iltowman

Thanks for the follow up and the new goods that your project is looking better.

Please do a little bit more exploration and experimentation with the quality of the projects (current and new) and then

we can try to decide what next.

The export is the best judge of quality. Previewing in the Edit area is not the ultimate answer. And, disc menu previewing in the Tools Menu/Movie Menu customization area is typically not the greatest. If quality issues in export, then we need to figure out where and how possible improvements can be made.

Also, see fx Effects/Blur Sharpen/Sharpen. You can drag Sharpen into the photo (just a little needed) to try to improve the sharpness of the photo. You can do that for one or more photos. If more than one, one way is to select all the Timeline clips to which you want to apply the Sharpen effect, and then drag the Sharpen from fx Effects to anywhere into the Timeline selection/highlight. You edit the Sharpen effect under Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Sharpen Panel expanded.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...I am strictly an Elements Windows user. Please let me know if you find fx Effects/Blur Sharpen/Sharpen available in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac.

• 11. Re: Using Adobe Premier Elements to create a video using the photos and it is make the photos blurry. Is there a setting to correct this?
                            Iltowman Level 1

all of those tips helped a lot. Now to resize the photos and put it all together.

The FX Effects button seems to have all the functions.

now to work on putting all of this together on a DVD.

Thanks for all of your help