5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 4:55 PM by [Jongware]

Question mark in an InDesign running head

grjm

InDesign removes final punctuation from running heads.  I actually want a final questions mark.

I create my running head by having a paragraph at the beginning of the chapter with text that has color white (so that it does not print) and very small (6 point) so that it does not have much influence on the page.

Can you suggest how I might force the question mark into the running head (in CS 5.5), e.g., What are Good Answers to Interview Questions?

I would like to keep the chapter title of the author, as is.  The real title is different than this example.

• 1. Re: Question mark in an InDesign running head
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just tried this with the running headers in one of my documents, and the punctuation was not removed.

Do a text on a new InDesign file to determine if the issue is just happening in that one document. If that is the case, export as IDML to clear the corruption.

• 2. Re: Question mark in an InDesign running head
            grjm Level 1

Unfortunately did not work for InDesign 5.5 and presumably earlier versions.

This apparently is standard:

"Delete End Punctuation

If selected, the variable displays the text minus any end punctuation (periods, colons, exclamation points, and question marks)."

See:  InDesign Help | Numbering pages, chapters, and sections

• 3. Re: Question mark in an InDesign running head
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

grjm wrote:

Unfortunately did not work for InDesign 5.5 and presumably earlier versions.

This apparently is standard:

"Delete End Punctuation

If selected, the variable displays the text minus any end punctuation (periods, colons, exclamation points, and question marks)."

See:  InDesign Help | Numbering pages, chapters, and sections

Sorry, don't you mean it did use to work instead? And now it doesn't -- meaning your punctuation disappears even though you have made sure the option is checked off for that particular text variable?

The option is 'standard' (?? not sure what you mean with that, these options have always been there for variables), but by default it is not checked and so not active. Ticking the box makes it active and makes it do exactly what it says "on the tin".

Please check the options you have set in the Text Variable definition dialog.

• 4. Re: Question mark in an InDesign running head
                grjm Level 1

Unfortunately does not work for InDesign 5.5 and presumably earlier versions.

In Edit Text Variable for Running Header (something which I now have found for the first time -- thank you!), the Delete End Punctuation box is not checked.

Since the Running Header valuez apply to all documents, I cannot put the missing question mark there (in Text After).

• 5. Re: Question mark in an InDesign running head
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Concerning the "presumably earlier versions", I can assure you it works in InDesign CS4. I've used it lots of times.

Hold on, let me double-check for CC 2014.

[...] (insert elevator music while it's starting up)

No, works there as well. And the default for new documents is "Off":

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.51.52 AM.png

Can you post an image of how this dialog looks for the currently-not-working variable? If it looks like this, you could try to clean your document by saving as IDML (which can reset certain random errors), and if that also fails, you may have to reset your InDesign to factory defaults.