8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 2:12 PM by mozart11

Lightroom 6 installs Adobe crapware on your HD

mozart11 Level 1

So I bought and updated to Lightroom 6 today on Adobe website. All by itself, Adobe decided to also install crapware on my hard drive of Adobe Application Manager folder - 162.6 megs  alone no less, Adobe Application Manager URI Handler, Adobe IPC Broker, AAM Registration Manager and AAM Launcher Util.

Delete this stuff and Lightroom 6 doesn't work.

Why Adobe? I do not use your Creative Cloud and I bet this all about that. Lightroom 5 didn't have it.

Repulsive.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 installs Adobe crapware on your HD
          Joshua Cohen Level 3

I believe these components are for the management of license registration which is a new requirement of LR 6. It is not crapware as it is a necessary component of the software you purchased.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 installs Adobe crapware on your HD
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

mozart11 wrote:

Why Adobe? I do not use your Creative Cloud and I bet this all about that. Lightroom 5 didn't have it.

Because like other Adobe app's, LR now has activation. This really isn't anything new, it's been a protection schema since before subscription took place.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 installs Adobe crapware on your HD
              mozart11 Level 1

Love to know why Adobe litters the Applications & Utilities Folder then? Another question is why Adobe sees fit to put a LR Uninstaller in the Adobe Folder in Application Folder in an Adobe Lightroom Folder with the Lightroom app itself and another LR Uninstaller in the Utilities Folder in Adobe Installers folder? How many uninstaller does one need Adobe? And also in the Utilities folder is Adobe Application Manager with a variety of cryptic things and folders BUT Adobe puts the Adobe Application Manager application in the Applications folder by itself.

I appreciate Adobe fighting piracy (doesn't help but companies feel better trying) but opening the Launcher to get to applications on my Macs shows displays a whole lot of red Adobe applications scattered on the HD.

Pretty amateurish Adobe.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 installs Adobe crapware on your HD

No argument from me that the various items you point out are scattered around and don't follow what we've seen in the past with other Adobe products. They should be consistent!

I can see why each application would need it's own uninstaller however.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 installs Adobe crapware on your HD
                  mozart11 Level 1

It's two different named Lightroom uninstaller. One in the main Applications Adobe Folder with the LR app itself and another Lightroom uninstaller located in the Utilities Folder in the oddly named Adobe Installers Folder.

Start deleting anything and LR on launch gives error messages trying to open.

I imagine some of this will be addressed in an update by Adobe - but it shouldn't happen.

I'm on a Mac by the way -  not sure I mentioned this originally.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 installs Adobe crapware on your HD

The item in the Utilities folder appears to be an alias. At least on this end.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 installs Adobe crapware on your HD

Odd, it is an alias but it points to something deep in the Application Support Folder:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Uninstall/{8048A5DF-8A70-5BE1-954B-E0FDE1BD0D0D}/{8048A5DF-8A70-5BE1-954B-E 0FDE1BD0D0D}.app

Yes, very messy indeed.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6 installs Adobe crapware on your HD
                        mozart11 Level 1

Yes. Lots of files scattered about.

LR is the only Adobe app I have installed other than Flash plugins for Safari.

LR 5 didn't have this much scattered about. As I mentioned I imagine it has everything to do with the Adobe Cloud - which I just don't find a need for myself.

I went back to LR when Apple announced end of life of Aperture -  which I liked. I had tried LR over the years, but the UI of LR to Aperture was the deciding factor for me. Now that I moved to LR - the processing of images is better than Aperture.Faster and more accurate. But come on Adobe - stop scattering files. You rep with Flash is NOT GOOD on security. I don't nee LR to be an issue too.