5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2015 12:06 PM by stewch

Declare hundredts of keywords "Persons"

muxel Level 1

Hi,

The new face recognition is great! I waited for this so long! Now, how do I set the Person flag for all my keywords? Is there a way to get this done quickly? I thought marking the super category as person would do the trick, but it does not. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Stefan

• 1. Re: Declare hundredts of keywords "Persons"
          Tanja2014 Level 2

select the keywords (multiple) and rightclick..... then you have the option to converte to people tag.

also when you have the people names already in a hierarchy you can select the top keyword and rightclick.

• 2. Re: Declare hundredts of keywords "Persons"
            Jim Wilde Level 5

You can multi-select your "people" keywords, right-click and select "Convert Keyword to Person Keyword"....or you can just not bother as Lightroom will convert it automatically once you confirm a face in an image which already has a keyword which matches the name of the face that you just entered, e.g. you have an ordinary keyword called "David" which you've applied in the past to a bunch of photos containing pictures of your son "David". The face indexing is done, so you can select all the images containing the word "David" and as soon as you confirm the first correct face region (either in People View, or Loupe with "Draw Face Region" enabled) by typing in the name "David", that keyword will be automatically converted to a person keyword.

• 3. Re: Declare hundredts of keywords "Persons"
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              or you can just not bother as Lightroom will convert it automatically once you confirm a face in an image which already has a keyword which matches the name of the face that you just entered

There's a benefit to converting your keywords to "person" keywords before you start face tagging: They'll be available for auto-complete immediately.  Otherwise, you'll run the risk of mistyping.  For example, suppose you have a pre-existing keyword "John R. Ellis".  When you start face tagging, you might type it in as "John Ellis", and now your catalog will have two keywords, "John R. Ellis" and "John Ellis".  But if you convert all your people keywords first, then LR's auto-completion will suggest "John R. Ellis", and you'll avoid creating a second one by mistake.

• 4. Re: Declare hundredts of keywords "Persons"
                Jim Wilde Level 5

Yes, good point John.

• 5. Re: Declare hundredts of keywords "Persons"
                  stewch Level 1

John is right -- I learned the hard way. Another good reason to convert all your existing people keywords to "person" keywords (or, better put, turn the "person" property on for existing keywords) is then you can use the new People filter on the Keyword List (three tabs: All | People | Other). The People tab will ONLY show keywords that have converted to "person."  The Other tab will show you keywords that aren't "persons" -- places, events, etc but also the People you have deemed "non-persons." For some reason.

If you use hierarchial naming (i.e., People > Surname > Firstname), realize that the Surname keyword also needs to become a "person" keyword if you want it to show up in the auto-complete and the keyword filter.