15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 7:55 AM by danielw$c

Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor

TexInWien Level 1

I'm running a relatively beefy Windows 8.1 (64 bit) system, with the OS, applications and virtual memory on an SSD, primary storage on a relatively fast internal HD, 16GB DDR4 RAM, hexacore i7 (5280K) and a GeForce GTX 970 graphics card. I run two monitors in parallel - one 4K/UHD monitor as my primary screen, and one 2K/FHD monitor as my secondary screen.

I'm using Lightroom 6 to edit 16MP raw images from three different cameras: Olympus E-M5 I, Panasonic GM5, Olympus E-M5 II

The performance is mind-bogglingly slow. It regularly takes around 30 seconds (sometimes less, sometimes more) for Lightroom to load and fully render an edited 16MP image in develop mode. Adjustments are laggy - sometimes I have to wait 5 seconds or more before the results of an adjustment I've made are fully rendered.

Lightroom 5.7 was no speed demon on the same setup, but I was hoping to see some material improvements with Lightroom 6. Unfortunately, that has not been the case, so far. I hope it doesn't take too long for the Lightroom team to figure out how to make this application perform better on a modern PC with a 4K monitor.

Any tips on speeding things up in the meantime, other than ditching my beautiful new 4K monitor?

• 1. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
          habanr Level 1

I would try disable GPU acceleration, there may be some problems...

• 2. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
            TexInWien Level 1

Yes, after reading a few recent discussions, I gave that a shot. Performance seems to have improved by about 50% when loading an uncached image. So, still way too slow. I think that's about the same speed 5.7 was running with this setup - way slower than running it on a 1080p monitor.

One thing I seemed to have noticed: When GPU acceleration is enabled, it seems that Lightroom either doesn't cache rendered images or else ignores the cached images. With GPU acceleration disabled, Lightroom seems to pay more attention to caching rendered images, and loads them up around 2x as fast as uncached images.

So, performance looks like this on my system:

23-33 seconds to load and fully render a 16MP image with GPU acceleration enabled (cached renders seem to be ignored)

11-18 seconds to load and fully render a 16MP image with GPU acceleration disabled (when loading an uncached render)

4-6 seconds to load and fully render a 16MP image with GPU acceleration disabled (when loading a cached render)

Now if I can figure out how to force Lightroom to cache the renders a little longer, things will be slightly better.

But let me be clear (to the Lightroom team), 11-18 seconds to load and fully render a 16MP image on a relatively high end machine with a 4K monitor is still unacceptable, as is 4-6 seconds to load and fully render a cached render of a 16MP image. Those numbers are still ridiculously slow.

• 3. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I'm running an Intel i7 875K CPU overclocked to 3.8Ghz, 16GB of RAM, 2 older Intel 320 series SSDs, NVidia GTS450 with 1GB dedicated VRAM 4GB total (Shared) on a Asus P7P55D-E PRO motherboard that I built 4+ years ago. Windows 7 Pro SP2 updated every now and then. No AV or anti malware software except the Windows defender program which you can't get rid of.

I would call my system a SPEED DEMON compared to what you are seeing with your system and yes GPU acceleration is enabled.

Something is wrong with your system. Software or hardware something isn't right.

I haven't yet installed LR6 on my Dell Latitude notebook that I bought 3+ years ago. But I suspect it will run just as well or better than LR5 does on that system.

• 4. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                TexInWien Level 1

What monitor(s) are you using. I had much less trouble running Lightroom 5.7 on my 5-year-old Dell E6510 with an external HD monitor attached.

As soon as I moved to the new system with one HD monitor and one UHD monitor (still using Lightroom 5.7) I noticed an extreme slowdown in performance. About the same level as what I'm seeing in 6 with GPU acceleration disabled.

So unless you're running a 4K monitor and a 2K monitor in tandem, I'm not sure your other system specs are at all relevant to my issue.

• 5. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                  TexInWien Level 1

Update: After performing a clean install of my graphics card drivers and re enabling  GPU Acceleration in Lightroom 6, performance has improved quite a bit. Now it seems to take around 8-9 seconds to load and render a 16MP edited raw in develop mode. Still not super fast, but better than before.

One thing I'm still noticing, however - it seems that Lightroom still ignores the existence of a cached render if GPU Acceleration is enabled. When I select an image with a cached render, the cached render loads pretty quickly, then goes blurry and takes some time until it's sharp again (the whole process lasts around 8-9 seconds, apparently regardless of whether or not there's a cached render of the image that's loading).

• 6. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                    Jim Wilde Level 5

TexInWien wrote:

One thing I'm still noticing, however - it seems that Lightroom still ignores the existence of a cached render if GPU Acceleration is enabled. When I select an image with a cached render, the cached render loads pretty quickly, then goes blurry and takes some time until it's sharp again (the whole process lasts around 8-9 seconds, apparently regardless of whether or not there's a cached render of the image that's loading).

One of the benefits of using the GPU is that Lightroom can now cache more images than it previously was able to. On LR5 it was one or two images cached maximum, on LRCC with GPU enabled I get 6 to 8 of my 22mp files cached, so loading time is sub-second (normal loading time is 1-2 seconds).

I agree with 007, there's something not right with your setup. As an experiment, try running in Safe Mode with just one monitor.....what happens then?

• 7. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                      TexInWien Level 1

The performance improvement I noticed was fleeting, at best. After a few minutes, things slowed back down to where they were before. I had hoped that the slowdown was temporary, but it's persisted.

@JimWilde & @Shootistbond007: If you're not using a 4K monitor, I doubt that your experience w/r/t LR6 performance is of much relevance to my situation.

Since my previous post in this discussion, I have tried a number of different things - disabling the second (2K) monitor, all manner of various combinations of system and graphics settings, enabling and disabling GPU. I'm currently working with NVidia support to try to identify a solution (over email, so it's taking a while), but I'm beginning to suspect that LR6 is simply not ready for prime time when it comes to 4K monitors, which makes my decision to plop 2700 Euros down on a new PC and 4K monitor, mostly in order to have a nice setup for running Lightroom, a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

I hope Adobe is listening, and I hope they get their act in gear w/r/t performance on 4K monitors. My guess is that there's a lot of overlap between people who use Lightroom and early purchasers of 4K monitors. If the performance issue was cleared up, the combination would be fabulous.

tex

• 8. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                        brads9639640

I have a new (2015) Macbook Retina 13" with 16Gb memory, the new fast SSD hard drive, and i7 3.1 Ghz processor.  I'm using an external Dell P2715Q 4k monitor and Lightroom CC (version 6).  Lightroom performance is so bad it is unusable.  I've tried the retina display menu program and toyed with different resolutions.  Still really unacceptably poor.

Adobe should be very embarrassed releasing such an unusable product in the marketplace.  Where is the competition to keep them hungry?

• 9. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                          Keith_Reeder Level 4

brads9639640 wrote:

Adobe should be very embarrassed releasing such an unusable product in the marketplace. 

Works superbly on my Win 8 machine. Maybe it's a Mac thing...

brads9639640 wrote:

Where is the competition to keep them hungry?

So it's Adobe's fault there isn't any?

• 10. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                            jeturc72550574

Not sure if anyone has resolved this issue but I'm having the same problems  Recently purchased a 4k monitor and I'm running a nvidia 980ti gpu with 6gb of vram, intel i7 4790 cpu and 16gb of memory.  Mind you, I've also recently purchased the components for the pc, specifically for photo editing and gaming.  On my old system that has specs far below my current, very minimal issues with speed and performance in lightroom.  The old lightroom running on my previous pc could have been bit faster but nothing that prevents me from doing my work.  On this new system with the 4k monitor, lightroom its practically unusable.  If anyone has figured out a better solution than turning on off the gpu (which I have) Id love to know. 

• 11. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                              danielw$c

I have a similar rig to the OP; Windows 10, i7 5280K, 32 GB RAM, GTX 750 Ti, SSD 1 for programs, SSD 2 for catalog and previews, SSD 3 for current assets (RAW (DNG) files and video), NAS for older assets, 4K monitor connected with HDMI. 24 MP DNG files load instantly, but take 2 to 5 seconds to "render" (become sharp with no color noise). The render time depends on the amount of develop history for the picture. If I clear the develop history, render time is 2 seconds, if there are a lot of edits, 5 or more seconds. My render times are not affected by GPU acceleration, but they are affected by screen resolution; if I drop to 1920x1080, rendering takes 1 to 3 seconds.

• 12. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                                andrea.pietra

Same problem here. 5820K, 16gb DDR4, R9 290X, OS on SSD, photos on separate SSD, cache on a RAID0 of SSDs. Switch to 4k and Lightroom became absolutely unusable. Cannot find a solution. Trying DXO Optics Pro hoping it performs somewhat better or I have to sell my 4k monitor.

Pitiful

• 13. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

Capture One might be a better alternative, performance-wise - Optics Pro is worse than Lightroom by a goodly margin: its poor performance (and DxO's ongoing refusal to acknowledge, much less fix, the problem) is one of the reasons I quit as an Optics Pro beta tester.

• 14. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                                    andrea.pietra Level 1

I am trying all I can to get this better. So far it's still absolutely awful. As soon as I get some results, I'll post in here.

A

• 15. Re: Lousy Lightroom 6 Performance on a Modern PC with a 4K Monitor
                                      danielw$c Level 1

I have solved this! I installed a 512GB Samsung 950 PRO NVME drive in my M.2 slot, and moved everything related to Lightroom (catalog, previews, camera raw cache, images being worked on) to the new drive. raw images render in 1 - 2 seconds when first viewed, and instantaneously after that. I am now a happy camper.

If your board does not have an M.2 slot, you can get a PCIe adapter. Or you can just get one of the Intel PCIe SSDs, but they are a bit more expensive.