13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2015 8:25 AM by Steven L. Gotz

When will Lightroom be available for Linux?

jtm1809

Dear Adobe. I am sick and tired of Windows OS. Lightroom is the only thing that keeps me locked there. I have been using Linux in parallel with Windows for about a decade by now and fail to see any advantages of Windows over Linux other than software availability, which is a problem you help creating.

To set the basics straight:

- No, Linux is not a marginal market. Steam and various other providers wouldn't bother to go Linux if that was the case. Netflix and other VoD providers wouldn't bother to drop Silverlight and go platform independent if that was the case. More and more people are fed up with the attitude of both Apple and Microsoft, and start to realize, that Ubuntu, Mint and other advanced Linux distros are more than capable alternatives for OS X and Windows.

- No, I don't want to virtualize Windows just for the purpose of running ONE piece of software (Lightroom). I'm doing it now, but it bothers me immensely.

- No, it's not true, that all Linux users are budget freaks who aren't ready to pay for software. I've paid for my Lightroom and Premiere Elements and I'd do it again. But I don't feel like supporting your laziness and cheap, stale excuses, that have been outdated for the last 2-3 years.

- No, I don't want to consider OS X and Mac. Going from one Leviathan to another? No, thanks.

- No, I don't have obsolete hardware. Quite on the contrary.

Now with the usual excuses out of the way, let me ask you this: Why is Lightroom not available for Linux already? When will it be available for Linux? Because eventually it will be (directly or by being platform independent), let there be no doubt about that. The question is whether that would happen before you lose this customer (and potentially others as well) or after.

I'm your customer who is generally satisfied with your product, but grossly dissatisfied with your attitude. If Lightroom 6 was available for Linux, I would have bought it on the launch day. This way I just might skip. There's your opportunity cost going out of the window, the language of which I hope you understand, should the facts laid out in plain English fail to deliver the message. If I gave you the money, you'd just rest on your laurels, feeling you're doing it right. You're not. Not in my view. And this is my way of telling you.

BTW: If you truly cared about your customers and their needs, there would be a big, shiny, eye-catching "Contact Us" or "Send Us Feedback" icon right on your front page. The fact, that there is no such thing on your frontpage, and that any customer of yours needs to crawl through half a dozen screens before they get the chance to put a message through to you, speaks volumes about your attitude towards your own customers and their wishes and needs.

• 1. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
          johnhawk666 Level 3

Please note that this forum is user-to-user only and does not form part of Adobes official website; we are not employees of Adobe nor are we aware of any of their plans.

• 2. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

jan tomasm46982786 wrote:

BTW: If you truly cared about your customers and their needs, there would be a big, shiny, eye-catching "Contact Us" or "Send Us Feedback" icon right on your front page.

The forum however, does have an entirely functional search facility into which you might have input the word "Linux" - then your disgruntled post would probably have been unnecessary.

• 3. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
              jtm1809 Level 1

So is there no way of contacting Adobe directly and provide them with customer feedback?

• 4. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                jtm1809 Level 1

It indeed does. And I have used it. And I have come across a couple of posts on the subject matter, all sporting the usual excuses. In one of those threads, however, I have encountered a person saying it is good to express our opinions to the corporate, as some developers within Adobe believe going Linux makes sense. Which I did. Only the venue was wrong.

As for whether my post was necessary or not, well, let me be the judge of that.

• 5. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                  johnhawk666 Level 3

You could try this web page, where Adobe take requests and suggestions.

Adobe - Contact Us

• 6. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                    jtm1809 Level 1

Thanks for your help. This is what I need. I didn't realize this forum was completely decoupled from Adobe. Sorry.

• 7. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

jtm1809 wrote:

As for whether my post was necessary or not, well, let me be the judge of that.

Any subject which has been flogged to death (which this has) only to be resurrected with no hope of a different outcome than has already been arrived at is - by definition - unnecessary (or redundant, if you like).

Your questions have been asked and answered multiple times.

• 8. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                        jtm1809 Level 1

I'm not here to argue. Neither am I swayed by what anybody considers by definition. I'm the owner of my reasoning and unless I violate rules, I'm free to ask away. Which I do.

You present your opinion as if it was a fact. I disagree and I think future will prove you wrong.

Pointless debate and a wrong place to ask my question. I'll contact the company through the link your considerably more helpful fellow provided me with.

Anyway, happy living in the past.

• 9. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You could add your vote and opinion to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Provide support for Linux

Adobe does read that forum and occasionally responds.

• 10. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

A lot of people think Linux is the future - they thought that 5 years ago, and probably 10 years ago as well. The problem is that Adobe has to see a profit in completely rewriting an application. So far, they hven't. And most of us think they never will. But don't give up your dreams. Keep fighting the good fight. Possibly with a positive result, but IMHO, it isn't likely.

There are Adobe staffers who drop by now and then, on their own time, but yes, this forum is completely uncoupled from Adobe's corporate site.

• 11. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                              Keith_Reeder Level 4

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

A lot of people think Linux is the future - they thought that 5 years ago, and probably 10 years ago as well. The problem is that Adobe has to see a profit in completely rewriting an application. So far, they hven't. And most of us think they never will. But don't give up your dreams. Keep fighting the good fight. Possibly with a positive result, but IMHO, it isn't likely.

There ya go - this has been the case for a long time, and I doubt Adobe's position will have changed one iota since the last outpouring of righteous indignation from Linux users about the evil of Windows, the stupidity of Adobe, and the supposedly (but completely unevidenced- probably because it doesn't exist?) huge market of Linux users who are champing at the bit to buy into Lightroom...

The simple truth is this: if your photography is important enough to you that you "need" Lightroom, you take off your Open Source hair shirt, and set up a Windows or Mac machine (or emulation) and get on with it.

• 12. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                                jtm1809 Level 1

Thanks for your view, Steven. I see your point, but as I already replied to Keith Reeder, I think that the situation was very different five years ago from what it is now. Steam changed everything.

Nowadays a teenage video gamer who just got his new PC hardware has the no-brainer choice of either installing SteamOS (based on Linux) on his PC for free and everything will work out of the box for him, or to pay money for Windows OS and spend an entire weekend of installing drivers and updates and all the programs and anti-viruses. Tough choice, right?

Microsoft has built their success on raising generations of users who were familiar with their product. Chrome OS is doing the same thing now and they are massively successful. Those teenagers will grow and flood the job market and will eventually change the landscape of ecosystems stats. It's already happening. Sooner or later companies like Adobe will have to react on it.

I choose to be an active customer and express my wishes vocally, as I believe this is the only way to get a chance of getting what I want. Let's not forget, that user satisfaction is not the primary concern of business companies. Revenue is.

• 13. Re: When will Lightroom be available for Linux?
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Steam changed everything.

I would say "changing" but not yet "changed". But I think you are on the right track if Steam keeps gathering followers.

I choose to be an active customer and express my wishes vocally, as I believe this is the only way to get a chance of getting what I want.

The problem is that this is an ineffective place to voice an opinion like this, unless you are able to raise a small army of vocal like minded people and all of you put in feature requests. It is feature requests that get Adobe moving, not posts in a thread like this. But you are not raising an army, merely making statements. It is not your opinions and statements that I am commenting on, merely your methods.

Let's not forget, that user satisfaction is not the primary concern of business companies. Revenue is.

Let's be more accurate in stating that philosophy. Revenue is NOT the issue. Profit is. And in more detail, Gross Margin.

The following numbers are purely for example and have no relation to what may or may not actually be possible.

If putting Lightroom on Linux increased Revenue by $10,000,000, but the expense of doing so was $9,500,000 you would think that it is worth doing to make a Profit of $500,000. But it may not be. If the profit percentage is less than the average profit percentage for the company, then it drags down the statistics and would be frowned upon by the stockholders.

Also, if any of the engineers or management were also working on projects that increased the capabilities of the Windows or Mac products, then there are lost opportunity costs. It may be better to add one great feature for 4 million customers than it is to create a new product for 10,000 customers.

On the subject of User Satisfaction, while it is not the purpose of any large corporation, it is an important tool in the toolbox designed to maintain and get more customers. A company wants happy customers to ensure a revenue stream, and from that a profit.

Sooner or later companies like Adobe will have to react on it.

You may be right. And on that topic, since Lightroom Mobile is available on iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets, I can see a path towards putting a Lightroom mobile like app on SteamOS. I wonder how much it would take to go from Lightroom Mobile to a more fully featured app for SteamOS? And ChromeOS while we are at it?

The features of Lightroom Mobile are pretty amazing. So what would it take to go to the next level? I have no idea. Asking for Photoshop on SteamOS might be unreasonable at this point in time. but perhaps asking for Lightroom is not out of the question.

I only suggest that you ask in the right place and in an effective way.