2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 6:01 AM by Bo LeBeau

How do I relink missing fonts?

urssie

I'm using InDesign CS5.5 and struggling with relinking missing fonts.

I have all the fonts that were missing, so only need to relink them.

The missing fonts are flagged up in the preflight panel.  To try and relink them I went to Type --> Find font.  This brings up a dialogue box but no apparent option to browse for the fonts and relink.  Here's a screenshot of the dialogue box:

I can't 'Replace with' as the fonts aren't in the dropdown list.  'Find first' doesn't enable me to browse for them either and 'Change' just changes them to Minion Pro.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: How do I relink missing fonts?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You need to install the fonts on your system...

• 2. Re: How do I relink missing fonts?
            Bo LeBeau Level 4

The Find Font dialog doesn't have a browse button like the Links Manager.

In Find Font you use the pulldown menus in the REPLACE WITH section.

All the fonts that are installed on your computer should be in these pulldowns.

Select both the Font Family and the Font Style and then use Change or Change All.

InDesign expects the exact same version of the font that was originally used.

If it can't find the exact same version it will throw up this dialog.

You can replace the missing font with a similar font, but be aware there may be some changes in your text.

For example, there are many slightly different versions of Helvetica, but as long as you inspect your text afterwards, things should be OK.

Of course, it is always best to use the exact same font to avoid any issues.

EDIT: Just noticed your last line of text in the original posting below the image.