9 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 6:48 AM by marekc37609644

Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association

d.p.middleton Level 1

On Windows 8.1 Pro, the Lightroom 6 catalog files with the extension lrcat, are no longer shown with an appropriate icon.

It is not a big issue, as the files are still associated with, and hence open with Lightroom. Unfortunately, I easily miss the catalog files in the Windows Explorer without the icons.

I upgraded from Lightroom 5 to 6 and removed version 5 before the installation of the new version.

I tried to restore an icon associated with the file by changing the default program to another one, and back to Ligthroom. This did not work.

Sp can I manually associate a catalog with an icon?

Cheers,

Dave

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association
          dj_paige Level 9

Sometimes (in Windows 7, I don't have Windows 8) you have to reboot to see the proper icon.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association
            d.p.middleton Level 1

Thanks for the reply. In the meantime, I rebooted serveal times.

In general, that will help, but here there is still no icon for the lrcat files..

I am looking for manually assigning it using e.g. regedit, but in this case, I am not sure how to do this.

Cheers,

Dave

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association
              marekc37609644

Dave, I have raised a similar question elsewhere on the forum but so far - no answers. Indeed, unlike in the LR5, in LR6 there is no icon, .lrcat does not appear on the Windows file association list, nor is there an .lrcat entry under HK_CLASSES_ROOT in the Windows registry. (There is an entry for AdobeLightroom6.lrcat, though). Rebooting will not help and it looks like a manual job unless it is rectified in a future update. But Lightroom's functionality does not seem to be impaired; eg. you can still open it  by double-clicking on a Lightroom catalog, if you have multiple catalogs, which is the easiest way to swap them.

Mark

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association
                d.p.middleton Level 1

Thanks Mark for sharing this.

Once again, it is not a major issue, but (large) files without an icon association will tend to go unnoticed in the folders.

Indeed, there is an association of the lrcat file with lightroom 6, so it opens with the application.

I am reaching out to this forum to help me to manually fix the issue (happy to regedit), because I have not enough information to do it now.

Cheers,

Dave

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association
                  Grumtine Level 1

If you don't mind using Regedit, just find the "DefaultIcon" key under "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AdobeLightroom6.lrcat." There should be an entry there called "(Default)" with no value. Just pop in the value of your lightroom executable, (default should be "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe".) That should fix this for you.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm using Lightroom CC. After my catalog was updated I decided I would remove the "-2" to keep the name consistent. Probably a dumb thing to do. But I lost the link to the icon. And I just searched the registry for that key, and the search wouldn't find it. I can't link to the icon. The catalog file is associated with Lightroom, but the icon is just a blank. As has been said, it's not a big deal. Just a minor irritation that I brought on myself.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association
                      Grumtine Level 1

Lightroom CC is version 6. If you edit the registry entry I specified above, you'll be able to get the icon back.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association
                        marekc37609644 Level 1

A bit of a delayed response as I was away from my desktop. Thanks, Grumptine, changing the value of the AdobeLightroom6.lrcat>DefaultIcon to point to the executable did the trick.

On my desktop, on which - for the time being - I have both Lr6/CC and Lr5, the ".lrcat" key's value got updated in the process to "AdobeLightroom6.lrcat" All other Lightroom files are now also associated with Lr6. On the laptop, though, I had removed Lr5 on installation of Lr6 and the old ".lrcat" key was gone. I've added it now manually with the value "AdobeLightroom6.lrcat", so the file shows on the Windows File Associations list.

All this probably sounds quite obsessive, as there were no functionality issues in the first place, just the icon gone, Oh, well...

Mark

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6: no  icon for lrcat file association
                          d.p.middleton Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions Grumtine.

Your suggestion helped me resolve the file icon association for Lightroom 6.

I found a different Registry key that solved my issue which I will share with the community.

So this is what solved it for me.

1. Open the Registry  Editor: Windows + R and type: "regedit"
                          2. Go to: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AdobeLightroom6.lrcat\DefaultIcon"
                          3. Change the Value data: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe" (of course without ""). This field was empty therefore no icon association can be made.
                          4. Close the Registry  Editor
                          5. Reboot

In my case the fix could not be found in the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AdobeLightroom6.lrcat" as there was no such key present.

However, when I wanted to create one, it appeared that there was a key with that name in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE" which I changed with the help of your instructions.

Cheers,

Dave