8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 6:35 PM by MW Design

Merging InDesign CS6 (Mac)

LuvMyParrot Level 1

I used the Merge Utility in InDesign 5 in the past, but I have since upgraded to IDesign CS6 and I'm having trouble merging. I want to print over 400 certificates (one unique certificate per page).

InDesign is open and I saved the merge file as .csv The csv file contains over 400 rows and only two columns, name and school. I click on preview and I can see my first record in InDesign but when I click to merge, the cursor turns in to a round rainbow colored ball and just spins...and spins...and spins...and spins.......

• 1. Re: Merging InDesign CS6 (Mac)
          MW Design Level 4

First thing is to copy your placeholders into a new document and avoid using the preview. Then let us know if the merge is still misbehaving.

Mike

• 2. Re: Merging InDesign CS6 (Mac)
            LuvMyParrot Level 1

I tried your suggestion:

• First thing is to copy your placeholders into a new document and avoid using the preview. Then let us know if the merge is still misbehaving.

That didn't work, but I was hoping.

Instead of saving the Excel file as .csv I tried .txt   that didn't work either.

Then I went back to what I did in InDesign CS5, and tried the same thing, that didn't work.

I thought what if there are too many records in the .txt file? So I reduced the number of rows in the txt file from 362 to 32 rows and it WORKED!

So, it appears that InDesign CS6 can't manage over a certain number of rows (two cells per row). I want to print my certificate and merge at the same time. Now because of this limitation (of which I don't have time to figure out InDesign can handle). I have to print the certificates first, and then insert the certificates I just printed (so now they'll go through a second time) and merge the name and school using Word. I don't like to do that because of positioning issues. Sheesh!

• 3. Re: Merging InDesign CS6 (Mac)
              MW Design Level 4

There is likely something in a cell preventing the merge to be successful. Line breaks, odd characters from pasting.  Something. Look at the data. I've done merges with thousands of rows and many columns.

Mike

• 4. Re: Merging InDesign CS6 (Mac)
                LuvMyParrot Level 1

Ah ha MW Design! I think you're on to something!

Students in grades 4-6 named their team for a Lego Robotics event.

I'm not sure which of the characters are causing the problem, ie: the hypen, exclamation, comma, apostrophe, or the ampersand. I don't really want to change the team name. It seems like a hyphen would be okay. I just don't know what the other characters .

School                                        Team Name

Ellison Haven School                   Boss-a-tronens

Jacobson / Jones Enrichment     Lego Racers!

St. Bishop School                         Red, White, and Booyah

St. Bishop School                          Roarin' Robots

Parker High School                    Team Free Scotland &&&

• 5. Re: Merging InDesign CS6 (Mac)
                  LuvMyParrot Level 1

Drats...wait a minute...I wasn't merging team names on their certificates, just school and the students name.

I very well could be this school that's causing the problem, Jacobson / Jones Enrichment  (it may not like the slash).

• 6. Re: Merging InDesign CS6 (Mac)
                    MW Design Level 4

Sounds like it was a fun event.

Try exporting the CSV as a tab-delimited file. May or may not help, but I always use a tab-delimited file for various reasons.

capture-003147.png

If all else fails, I would be happy to look at the files personally. You would need to upload a ZIP of the necessary files to dropbox.com or the like and send me a Private Message for the download link.

Best regards, Mike

• 7. Re: Merging InDesign CS6 (Mac)
                      LuvMyParrot Level 1

Hello Mike,

I don't know how you got that to work. I thought maybe it was the / but I see by your example above it worked. Just so you know I tried csv and txt and neither would work and that was this morning. It's now almost time to go home, but I'm printing those darn certificates before I leave.

I checked the data after your last suggestion. I removed the following: slash, ampersand, exclamation

Are you using a PC or a Mac, because sometimes that makes a difference too-right?

Woohoo Mike! Thank you for your help. You have renewed my faith in InDesign!

Connie

• 8. Re: Merging InDesign CS6 (Mac)
                        MW Design Level 4

Hi Connie,

Nah. It doesn't matter the platform. Illegal characters in the headers, funky characters in the cells and encoding are main problems.

Have a good weekend.

Mike