5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2015 7:45 AM by thedigitaldog

Two computers-one LR Catalog

billo58229287

I have Photographer CC installed on a laptop and a desktop computer. All works fine. I would like to keep one Catalog file in sync on both computers. Or should I try and setup the laptop like a mobile device and only sync certain Collections? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks for your assistance.

• 1. Re: Two computers-one LR Catalog
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For me, KISS, keep the catalog and all images and associated LR files on an external drive, a big one. Move it from system to system. Mobil sync? Huge waste of time.

• 2. Re: Two computers-one LR Catalog
            billo58229287 Level 1

So, you are saying to keep all on a portable drive and just move it from computer to computer?  I read that the main LR Cat file should be on the system drive. I have a 3t portable drive that should be large enough.  I have in excess of 100k images.

• 3. Re: Two computers-one LR Catalog

billo58229287 wrote:

So, you are saying to keep all on a portable drive and just move it from computer to computer?  I read that the main LR Cat file should be on the system drive. I have a 3t portable drive that should be large enough.  I have in excess of 100k images.

Exactly. That's what I do. The catalog doesn't have to be on the boot disk. If you dedicate a big drive to the LR catalog, previews, your images and presets** you can move that drive to any machine that has the LR application on it, Mac or Windows. Double click on the catalog and you're all set. Further, this makes cloning the drive to others for backup super easy. You can have as I do, three drives that are after cloning, identical. One is the working drive, the other a backup, a third lives in a Fire Proof safe. As you work on one drive adding new images and adding to the Catalog, you back it up to the other drive so it is a prefect 'clone'.

** in LR's preferences set "Store Presets with catalog" then they travel with the drive as you move from machine to machine. Takes all of 20 seconds to plug in the drive, wait for it to mount, double click on catalog, done.

• 4. Re: Two computers-one LR Catalog
                billo58229287 Level 1

So in this scenario I guess Smart Previews would not be needed?

• 5. Re: Two computers-one LR Catalog

billo58229287 wrote:

So in this scenario I guess Smart Previews would not be needed?

Make no difference either way.