6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 9:01 AM by fgregor

Why is Extension Manager choking on installing Adobe CC Libraries 11.5 on AI 18.1.1?

Pixelpaddler Level 1

The error window states it requires AI v. 18.0 - 18.9. I am running v18.1.1.

The first error I found was an entry on the Creative Cloud app stating "The Add-on Creative Cloud Libraries installation failed because it is incompatible with installed... " The message concluded saying to "click here" which actually led nowhere. This message appeared the day I converted my LR to the CC version - that project appeared to complete successfully.

The puzzle is enriched as there is a Libraries Panel visible and functioning in my AI right now despite the error message.

Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Why is Extension Manager choking on installing Adobe CC Libraries 11.5 on AI 18.1.1?
          fgregor Adobe Employee

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can you please tell us if the correct version of Illustrator appears in Extension Manager CC?

Best regards,

Fraser

• 2. Re: Why is Extension Manager choking on installing Adobe CC Libraries 11.5 on AI 18.1.1?
            Pixelpaddler Level 1

Hi Fraser,

Not entirely sure where to look in Extension Manager CC but I have been wondering. When Extension Manager CC is first opened, there is a column on the left, "Products". The only entry on mine below the title is "Others".  Below the "Extensions" column is one listing: "Photo Upload Flickr 2.8.5 New P Proc" and it has a check mark below "Enabled".

I've clicked on the other three items on the "command menu" line but nothing of value appears, certainly no references to the five other CC products I have installed: PS, AI, LR, Acrobat, and BR. Should they or some of them be displayed? The CC app indicates all six (the others plus Extension Mgr) are up to date.

Thanks for your help,

Doug

• 3. Re: Why is Extension Manager choking on installing Adobe CC Libraries 11.5 on AI 18.1.1?
              fgregor Adobe Employee

Hi Doug,

Many thanks for your patience with this - we would expect to see all your installed applications listed above "Others", including Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

It sounds like the problem is that Extension Manager doesn't realise you have any applications installed. It's not clear why it would have got into this state, but could you please try resetting it by renaming the following folder to "Configuration_old"

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Extension Manager CC\Configuration (Windows)

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CC/Configuration (Mac)

Then install (or uninstall) any application via the Creative Cloud desktop app, e.g. Flash Pro

Finally try installing any free add-on at creative.adobe.com/addons

This should hopefully cause it to have a re-built list of applications in Extension Manager, and allow you to get the Creative Cloud Libraries update.

Best regards,

Fraser

• 4. Re: Why is Extension Manager choking on installing Adobe CC Libraries 11.5 on AI 18.1.1?
                Pixelpaddler Level 1

Hi Fraser,

Thank you for trying to help. I've implemented some of your suggestions but, because the results do not seem to be agreeing with your expected outcomes, I'm writing again.

I renamed the Config folder as you directed - no issues there.

Using the Apps panel of the Creative Cloud desktop app, I uninstalled, then reinstalled: Extension Manager, Bridge, Photoshop and LR. Each process is quite time consuming with my internet connection. For now I have not repeated that process with Illustrator or Adobe Acrobat DC. At this point, I opened Extension Manager and see that Photoshop is now listed along with Others. However, there is no listing for Bridge or Lightroom. If I understood you correctly, those too should be showing. I've closed and restarted Extension Manager numerous times.

So, despite the error messages in the activity stream portion of Creative Cloud indicating failure to install, I see both Libraries and Adobe Kuler in Photoshop. They appear to be working fine. At this point I conclude I should disregard those error messages after spending significant amounts of time chasing their correction.

If you have any connections, please register my frustration with the error messages that read, "The Add-on Creative Cloud Libraries installation failed because it is incompatible with installed Adobe Applications. Refer the Compatibility section by clicking here." and "The Add-on Adobe Color CC Panel installation failed because it is incompatible with installed Adobe Applications. Refer the Compatibility section by clicking here." Besides being vague and unspecific, clicking either message simple leads to the Add-ons page which contains no visible compatibility or requirements information.

Thank you,

Doug

• 5. Re: Why is Extension Manager choking on installing Adobe CC Libraries 11.5 on AI 18.1.1?
                  Pixelpaddler Level 1

Hi Fraser,

I've been working and can report both progress and more questions. First, the progress, after using the Creative Cloud app to uninstall and reinstall Extension Manager, Photoshop and Illustrator, both PS and AI are listed when I open Extension Manager. Incidentally, all applications in Creative Cloud show the green Up to Date checkmarks.

Working in Extension Manager, I was successful installing three extensions for Photoshop: CC Libraries 1.1.5, Magic Picker 4.3, and KulerPanelHTMLBundle 6.0.0.2. I've copied their names from Extension Manager. As downloaded, they are: CreativeCloudLibraries_1_1_5.zxp, MagicPicker4.zxp, and AdobeColorCCPanel_1_0_2.zxp.

My question now is Why, when I attempt to install these three extensions in Illustrator using Extension Manager, am I getting the message, "The extension you are about to install conflicts with the following extensions. Do you want to remove the following extensions and continue installation? The extension 'KulerPanelHTMLBundle' installed in the product 'Photoshop CC 2014'."? Am I correct that Extension Manager cannot install the same extension in both PS and AI?

I can see an earlier version, v3, of Magic Picker is installed and working in Illustrator. When I open it, it invites me to upgrade to v4. I've gone to their site, registered my serial number, downloaded the new version, installed it in PS using Extension Manager but now get a similar message indicating Magic Picker is installed in "Illustrator CC 2014, Photoshop CC 2014".

Yet, when I look at Illustrator in Extension Manager, no Magic Picker extension is shown. Again, this is after the uninstall/reinstall exercise.

Would appreciate any information regarding supposed capability to have an extension in PS and AI. And, How can I uninstall an old version that is not shown in Extension Manager?

Thank you,

Doug

• 6. Re: Why is Extension Manager choking on installing Adobe CC Libraries 11.5 on AI 18.1.1?
                    fgregor Adobe Employee

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the updates, I'll try to deal with each of your points as best I can.

It's expected that, for example, Lightroom is not listed in Extension Manager while Photoshop is listed. The reason for this is that some applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) have support for standard Adobe CEP extensions and are listed in Extension Manager, while others (such as Lightroom) do not, so they're not listed. For the sake of convenience, with applications such as Lightroom that Extension Manager doesn't fully recognise, it can still install extensions for them using ZXP packages prepared by the developer - but the extensions will be listed under "Others".

Thanks for the feedback about error messaging - I'll pass this on to product management so it can be taken into account in future.

Built-in components such as Kuler and CC Libraries are kept up to date using the Adobe Add-ons part of the Creative Cloud app. Whenever a new update is available, it will automatically be downloaded and installed through the Creative Cloud app. If this was failing (as sounds like was happening for you), then inside Photoshop you'd still see Kuler/CC Libraries but they may perhaps not be the most up-to-date versions of those panels.

If you manually install a ZXP package via Extension Manager with the same name as a product already installed, then Extension Manager will see it as a conflict and give you the option to install your new one over the top. As long as the new ZXP is compatible with both applications (Photoshop and Illustrator) then it'll be installed for both.

I don't quite understand your installation problems for the Magic Picker product. Do you mean that it installs successfully for Illustrator CC 2014 and Photoshop CC 2014 (including appearing for those applications in Extension Manager), but it doesn't appear under Illustrator CC? If the compatible application is listed in Extension Manager and Extension Manager is showing the extension as installed, then this may be a question for the producer of Magic Picker.

Best regards,

Fraser