3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 6:14 PM by A.T. Romano

"Media Off Line"

xray10

I had a project saved on my PC a couple of weeks ago. Now all the video has a red screen saying "Media Off Line". What happened?

• 1. Re: "Media Off Line"
          A.T. Romano Level 7

xray10

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Possible explanations for your issue.....

1. You moved, deleted, or renamed files and folders that you imported into the project after you saved closed the project.

When you import source media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals which are saved to their hard drive location. But, the project needs to trace back to those originals at the hard drive save location where they were when they were first imported into the project. The "Where is the file____?" messages are your means to the reconnects between source media and project. You need to have the media and know where they are in order to direct a message to the file that it is requesting/requiring.

2. If you store your source media on an external hard drive, the external hard drive may have malfunctioned, perhaps with the drive letter changing.

Please review and consider, and then let us know if the above applies to you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: "Media Off Line"
            xray10 Level 1

Thank you for the reply. I am using elements 12 and Windows 7 Professional.

My videos (avi files) and Premiere Elements files are all stored on an

external hard drive but I think it was always designated D:

I do see messages "Where is the file ___". When this happens, should I try

to find the file and select? It asked for a rendered file once which I

could not find anywhere?

Regards, Brad

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:31 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: "Media Off Line"
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Brad

Try to make the reconnects with the "Where is the file ____?" message, one by one. But, you need to know where the specifically requested files are before you even open the project where you go through those messages. The "Where is the file ____?" message is not going to go to where those files are automatically. You have to tell each message where the file is that it is requesting....and exact name and type file. If you get lucky, reconnecting one file with the project may trigger some others to reconnect automatically.

If you did not move, delete, or rename files and folders for the project after the project was saved closed, then keep watch on the external hard drive operation if that is where your source media are stored.

We will be watching for further developments. Please do not hesitate to stop and ask further questions along the troubleshooting route.

Thanks.

ATR