5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 6:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Project settings were at 1080 for my 4k footage, were the extra pixels thrown out?

Bill NM Aerial Photos Level 1

Hi folks...

I understand PE 13 is supposed to automatically set the project settings to the same as an imported video file.  In my case that did not happen...I imported 4k/15fps video...and after I finished trimming and editing, and now want to pan and zoom within the 4k footage, I see that project settings were actually at 1080.

Questions:

1)  Why didn't PE set the project settings to 4k?  And out of curiosity, what does PE do when a person imports video of different sizes and frame rates?

2)  Since it didn't, did all the extra pixels above 1920x1080 get thrown out?  I ask because I want to pan and zoom within my 4k footage, and end up with at least 1080p for output.  Is that still possible in my current project?  If not, is there any way to take my edited 4k clips and paste them into a new project so all the 4k pizels are intact?  Or do I need to start all over?

3)  What does PE do with 15fps footage exported at 30fps?  Does it simply double each frame?  It doesn't interpolate between frames, does it?

Thanks...

--

Bill

• 1. Re: Project settings were at 1080 for my 4k footage, were the extra pixels thrown out?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 was designed to have the project set the project preset based on an analysis of the source properties and finding a match for it among the available project presets. Typically is uses the criteria of clip dimensions, frames per second, pixel aspect ratio, and field order. If it cannot find a match, it does not give you the closest fit, but rather it defaults to 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second project preset. In your case, your 4K video's frame rate of 15 frames per second triggered the default since there is no 4K project preset with a frame rate of 15 frames per second.

Unless you are doing frame by frame by frame video editing, your focus in the project preset is the clip dimensions 3840 x 2160 so that the project is directed to establish the corresponding space in the Edit area monitor for editing. Therefore, you set the project preset yourself manually for so that you get that "3840 x 3160" space in the monitor.

NTSC

AVCHD

and one of the QFHD project presets...let us say QFHD 16x9 29.97.

To do that, go to the Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, set the project preset to QFHD 16x9 29.97 and then OK out of there.

In the New Project dialog that then opens, change the name of the project and make sure to have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project. OK out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace, import your 4K video with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

When you are ready for export...

Publish+Share

Computer

XAVC-S

with Presets = MP4 H.264 3840 x 2160 29.97 30 Mbps

then, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, customize that preset to 3840 x 2160 @ 15 progressive frames per second

4K.JPG

Please review and consider. We can discuss this further based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Project settings were at 1080 for my 4k footage, were the extra pixels thrown out?

ATR,

Thanks for all that.

So are you saying that:

1) the extra pixels above 1920x1080 WERE thrown out of my project?  Is that right?  That those extra pixels are gone?

2)  That there is no way, in my current project, to pan/zoom within the clips and still end up with at least 1080p?

If so...

Is there a way to copy-and-paste my edited clips in the current, 1080p project, to a new project (using 4k project settings), so I don't have to start all over again from the very beginning?

Thanks...

• 3. Re: Project settings were at 1080 for my 4k footage, were the extra pixels thrown out?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill,

Let us try this for the project that you want to salvage...to recap, this is the 3840 x 2160 @ 15 progressive frames per second that went into a 1920 x 1080 29.97 interlaced frames per second project.

When you import your 4K into the project it was scaled to the frame size of the project preset (1920 x 1080) as per the default preference Edit Menu/Preferences/General and its "Default Scale to Frame Size". Once you are in the project, you can right click the video, and, in the pop up menu, disable that preference by removing the check mark next to Scale to Frame Size. After you do that, do your pan and zoom with the Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom.

Are you OK with pan and zoom a video with the Pan and Zoom Tool? It is not the same a applying pan and zoom effect to stills with that Tool.

I do not think you will need to copy/paste anything in this matter. You should be able to get to Publish+Share in good condition.

But, let us see. Looking forward to your results which should end with 3840 x 2160 @ 15 progressive frames per second with the bitrate of your choice. Right now I am wondering about any subtle effects of an interlaced project preset with the progressive export. Maybe an non issue?

ATR

Add On....I am currently having stability issues with the Pan and Zoom workspace when I am working through the suggestion to salvage your existing project. I need to evaluate some variables for the why in what I am encountering. So, I will be very interested in your results.

• 4. Re: Project settings were at 1080 for my 4k footage, were the extra pixels thrown out?

ATR,

I actually stated a new project using 3840x2160 and 15fps...so far, so good.  (if I ever get into the wrong project settings in a future project, I will remember your tip about unchecking "scale to frame size".

But OK...I do have a question about pan/zoom in video.  (Once upon a time I used pan/zoom in video with Premier Pro, so it looks a little familiar).

I have a "scene" which consists of 3 clips.  I want to pan/zoom the entire scene...so a pan/zoom can continue smoothly from one clip to the next.

But...when I group the 3 clips together, and then try to start the pan/zoom, PE says "multiple clips selected, please select one clip".

So...how to I join/merge the 3 clips together so that the PE pan/zoom function sees it as ONE clip?

Thanks...

• 5. Re: Project settings were at 1080 for my 4k footage, were the extra pixels thrown out?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Thanks for the follow up. Glad to learn all is going well.

About applying the pan and zoom effect to video with the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool, please review my how to on that.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/08/pe12121-pan-and-zoom-tool-and-video-file.html

You can bring only one clip at a time into the Pan and Zoom workspace. Even if you group the selected video clips together (Clip Menu/Group) in the Edit area, Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom still sees you trying to use more than one video at a time in its workspace and refuses to work.

You wrote

I have a "scene" which consists of 3 clips.  I want to pan/zoom the entire scene...so a pan/zoom can continue smoothly from one clip to the next.

The only way I see that being done is to export the 3 clips to a file saved to computer hard drive as XAVC-S 3840 x 2160 @ 15 progressive frames per second and then to import that export back into the program on which you are working. Then Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom. If you need to export those clips selectively from the working project, then two criteria

a. gray tabs of the Work Area Bar need to span just the area for export

and

b. in the export settings, there needs to be a check mark next to the option "Share Work Area Bar Only"

Depending on how your Pan and Zoom Tool work progresses, we could also look into doing the pan and zoom effects another way, instead  using keyframing of Scale (for zoom) and Position (for pan).

ATR