8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2015 10:30 AM by DOUBLE VISION J&J

Is Lightroom Creative Cloud (CC) the only upgrade option from LR 5.7?

zBernie Level 1

I currently have LR 5.7.  When I start LR a dialog box is displayed indicating that there is an upgrade available.  When I click the upgrade button it takes me to an LR Creative Cloud web page.  Am I to believe that if I want to upgrade, I have to subscribe to creative cloud?

I really hope not!

• 2. Re: Is Lightroom Creative Cloud (CC) the only upgrade option from LR 5.7?
          zBernie Level 1

When I click on the link you provided I only see LR creative cloud mentioned.  Am I missing the non-CC version?

• 3. Re: Is Lightroom Creative Cloud (CC) the only upgrade option from LR 5.7?
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think you actually looked at the link, Or at least you didn't look at it closely. Scroll to the bottom of that webpage and you will find Lightroom. There will be a Buy button. Click on that button and then follow the prompts to be added to the process of purchasing Lightroom 6. It's on that web link!

• 4. Re: Is Lightroom Creative Cloud (CC) the only upgrade option from LR 5.7?
              DOUBLE VISION J&J

I'm having the same issue. I have multiple Lr Cats (I am a Monthly cloud subscriber but have LR on my main computer) and I only updated one Catalog to the latest version of Lr6. The Catalog that did update now says CC in the upper left of the Program.

I want to update all my other Lr Cats but I'm being instructed to sign out - then install? I already have Lr on my Computer is there not a way to update the current version with the rest of my Cats updated in the process. I dont want the CC version I choose to have it on my computer.

What am doing wrong?

I am completely left out of the loop on this one and falling behind in projects. This is very disappointing especially since I was so pleased to see the new upgrades.

Anyway I'm so confused, maybe someone from Adobe could really come through for me on this.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Is Lightroom Creative Cloud (CC) the only upgrade option from LR 5.7?

You don't date Lightroom with your catalogs. Lightroom updates the catalogs. Can you not just go to File->Open Recent and choose your other catalogs? Or, alternatively, can you not locate those catalogs and double-click on them? The one version of Lightroom that you have updated should enable you to convert all of the catalogs.

• 6. Re: Is Lightroom Creative Cloud (CC) the only upgrade option from LR 5.7?
                  DOUBLE VISION J&J Level 1

Thank you for your response JimHess,

Please allow me to explain how I got to this spot:

I have always done that method in the past as you described. But for some reason for me to receive this update of Lr5 to Lr6 (which now I see technically speaking is termed 'upgrade'), I was being directed to the page as the original poster of this thread indicated. I followed the directions by signing out then back in and had to Install Lr on to my computer. Confusing for me because I thought I could just update / upgrade from a current Catalog I have created and then follow suit as you instructed.

Now I found the Catalog I originally updated and continued on again "File->Open Recent and choose your other catalogs" and it is working. Thank you. I now see my error by not opening the other Cats from the one that was 'upgraded'.

Now, before I complete my other Cats with the upgrade I went to investigate the folder structure of the upgraded Cat and I see the title of my 'Cat' followed by '-2lrcat.lock' and the '-2lrcat.journal' so I have double of the files with the appended '-2' as the new to be used. Is this correct? If so what can I do with the original, can I delete?

I am also seeing Adobe Lightroom CC 2015 no longer the LR version. Why?

Finally, when I go to right click the Lr icon in my doc to select the Cat I wish to work from I am seeing more than I need to choose from and they are doubles. What can I do to clean this? Is it clearing the list and then going into the program from Explorer to select the newly created '-2lrcat.lock' and opening from there to start a new list for the icon in my doc?

Thank you advance.

• 7. Re: Is Lightroom Creative Cloud (CC) the only upgrade option from LR 5.7?

First of all, you don't open other catalogs "from" the original catalog that you opened in Lightroom 6. The only document Lightroom opens is a catalog. Opening one catalog and then switching to another is like switching to a new document in Word, or any other program. Opening a catalog is equivalent to opening a different photo in Photoshop. So you don't try to make your main catalog open other catalogs. That doesn't happen. Lightroom opens catalogs. Then all the work that is done on your images is stored in whatever catalog you are using at the time.

Whenever a new upgrade to a full new version of Lightroom is released, there is always the necessity to upgrade the catalog to a new database format. You have seen how this happens. When Lightroom upgrades a catalog it gives it the same name as before, except it is attended with a -2. Any catalogs that are listed without the -2 are older catalogs that were utilized by an older version of Lightroom. If you are not using those catalogs anymore they can be confidently deleted. However, this will not delete them from the "Open Recent" list in Lightroom.

The lock file that you referred to should only be present for the catalog that is currently open in Lightroom. That file is created by the Lightroom catalog, which is a database, because it is part of the database technology. When Lightroom closes normally that log file should be deleted automatically. Sometimes, if Lightroom closes down abnormally, that lock file will be left behind and will not allow you access to the catalog. In those cases you will need to go to your catalog folder and manually delete the file (ONLY the lock file).

Some people don't like having the -2  appended to the end of their catalog names. They will move the older catalogs to a different folder and then remove that -2 from the name and then double-click on the catalog to start it. This helps to keep the catalog naming consistent. It isn't something that is necessary, but is okay to do if you want to.

• 8. Re: Is Lightroom Creative Cloud (CC) the only upgrade option from LR 5.7?
                      DOUBLE VISION J&J Level 1

JimHess,

Thank you very much for your well laid out, clear and concise response. I truly appreciate this information you have provided, I've learned a few new small nuggets in the process along with what this workhorse of a program called Lightroom is capable of. I find this interesting and try to absorb as much as possible to have a grasp of what I'm dealing with while understanding some of the foundation it's built on.

Kind regards.