4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 11:21 AM by Szalam

CS 5.5 After Effects Crashes with Puppet Tool

zpdufour

Currently, I'm using a CS 5.5 After Effects and the program keeps randomly crashing when I use the Puppet tool specifically with the message "After Effects error: Crash in progress" and says it created a copy of my last save.

Computer Specs:

Mac Pro 1,1

Mac OS 10.7.5

2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon

7 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

250 GB SSD - 60 GB available

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Please be specific, so I may understand the problem clearly. Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: CS 5.5 After Effects Crashes with Puppet Tool
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You have not provided any info about your comp and layer nor the exact crash log, so we can't know. Most Puppet Tool crashes come down to users misunderstanding/ misusing the feature and the effect not being able to make sense of the deformations e.g. on extremely thin parts.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS 5.5 After Effects Crashes with Puppet Tool
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first rule for using Puppet Pin is keep it simple. The second rule is that Puppet Pin is the only effect that you can have on the layer and the layer cannot be animated in any other way. If you are following both of those rules then, as Mylenium said, we need a complete description of your workflow, a screenshot with all modified properties of your puppet pin layer revealed and if possible crash logs.

• 3. Re: CS 5.5 After Effects Crashes with Puppet Tool
              zpdufour Level 1

Understood. After repeating this process a few times today CS 5.5 AE crashes after using the Puppet Pin tool when applying more than one Starch point or adjusting the first starch point. This is a repeated cycle. I addition, I'm using a plug-in called DUIK with puppet tools to create inverse kinematic arms. Below is a step by step process with a picture of the  error/crash reports at the end.

For the Right Leg I applied Four Puppet Pin Points with all excluding the Toe Point used as a IK applied from the DUIK plug-in. The Amount of Triangles is 600 w/ 0 Expansion

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.15.37 PM.png

I apply a Starch point at middle thigh. Amount 100,  Extent 94.  In one case at this step, adjusted the starch point a few times and AE crashed.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.15.50 PM.png

I adjust the Thigh Starch Point to Amount 12, Extent 94. When I go to apply the next Starch point at the middle Calf, AE Crashes every time.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.16.01 PM.png

These two windows pop up. The text is very long for the crash report so this first image is the top.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.16.19 PM.png

This is the bottom of the Crash Report.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.16.50 PM.png

Here is I believe to be the same crash report, but gets sent to Adobe. May have more detail. Top of the Report.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.24.15 PM.png

Bottom of the Report

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.24.57 PM.png

I've used this same plug-in before with many puppet pin points, but no starch pin points however I've seen examples of people using the starch points with the plug-in before so i know its possible. I've done complex puppet tool projects with both tools for muscles and bone movement before with no problems, but that was in CC 2014 AE. Please let me know if you need anymore info or details to help me understand my problem and solution. Thank you in advance

• 4. Re: CS 5.5 After Effects Crashes with Puppet Tool
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Until someone who can decipher your crash logs comes along (it might be helpful for them to have it in text form rather than trying to read a jpg, so if you could upload the text somewhere that might help), I can offer but one suggestion: bug fix update. Unless I'm reading those messages incorrectly, you are running 10.5 when you should be on 10.5.1 See here: updates for Adobe Media Encoder, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Prelude, Audition, and SpeedGrade |