26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2017 6:32 AM by prof_ahk

Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem

derMueller

Since I upgrade from LR 5 to LR CC I have an issue with some pictures as they do not accept GPS data.  When the data is already in Metadata (from camera), it works fine. When there are no data imported and I want to write new data into the file by using the LR MAP, it doesn't save for some pictures. Some do not accept any GPS data. I can only copy from others and paste manually into these picture Metadata.  Any idea what could be wrong ? Or is it a "bug" ?

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

When it's not working, exactly what steps are you taking to assign a location to a pic?  And how are you determining it isn't working?

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
            derMueller Level 1

Assuming there is no or the wrong GPS information in the picture and it is transferred via LR CC to my iMAC.  In the past I select this picture, searched the place I took the picture in the LR Map press the right Mouse button and chose add the GPS data to the selected pictures. Then LR5 added the data always. Now I have pictures where this does not work. Unfortunately I can not see any logic when LR CC does what is expected and when it doesn't.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem

Do you have a sample pic for which you cannot add GPS data?  Upload it to Dropbox and post its link here, and we can take a detailed look at its metadata, to see if there is some incompatibility with LR.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                Doug Earle

I'm having a similar problem.  I use a data logger for GPS and have the time synched with the camera and satellite for the time zone.  Using Library module I select photos for a particular date, say Oct 1, which results in 40 photos taken that date.  Then select all.  Then go to Map module and load GPS data for that date, Oct 1, which shows the track on the map.  Then select "Auto tag 40 selected photos".  At this point it marks the location of some, but not all, photos, perhaps geotagging only 1/3 to 1/2 of them.  Date/time metadata is correct for all photos, all which were taken with a Fuji X-T1 with latest firmware (4.0). 

I have 7 days worth of photos/GPS data logs, all done as above, and exhibiting the same issue for all dates.

Any ideas why or corrective steps to be taken?

Thanks,

Doug Earle

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                  Doug Earle Level 1

Could this be due to the satellite GPS time and the camera time being off by a little, like 50 seconds?  If it were off by a minute or less, then some of the photos might be identified and some not identified.  (e.g. satellite GPS time might read 10:15:00 while the camera metadata might read 10:14:45.  Could that make a difference?

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                    Could this be due to the satellite GPS time and the camera time being off by a little, like 50 seconds?  If it were off by a minute or less, then some of the photos might be identified and some not identified.  (e.g. satellite GPS time might read 10:15:00 while the camera metadata might read 10:14:45.  Could that make a difference?

I very much doubt it.  LR takes the capture time of the photo and looks for the points in the tracklog with the closest times.  If there camera time doesn't match the satellite time exactly, then LR should still be able to find points with close times, albeit points that may not be exactly where the pic was taken.

The only practical way of troubleshooting this is to upload to Dropbox (or similar) a sample tracklog and a few of the pics that aren't getting tagged properly.  Then we can take a look in our LR to see what might be going wrong.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                      Doug Earle Level 1

John:

Thanks for the reply and info.  Here are two photos and two trackless taken

on two separate days that are not showing in the MAP, nor or they adding

GPS data to the metadata.  The photo of the photographer in the pond goes

with track log for Sept 30 and the photo of my wife in front of the General

Sherman Tree goes with the log for Oct. 2.

I uploaded to Google drive which can be accessed here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzdSySa0aSBzN3JzUWZfcnRUWmM&usp=sharing

You should be able to have full access and edit capability on these.

I'll be interested in seeing what you turn up.  This is my first time to

use the GPS data logger and only the second or third time to use the MAP,

and the first time to use MAP module with Lightroom CC.  In previous

version (LR 5) and using a cell phone app to get the track data, it worked

fine, so I'm not sure where the problem is.....with LR, with the logger, or

with me.  Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Doug Earle

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem

Hmm, I didn't encounter any problems with those two pairs of logs and photos.  I did Map > Tracklog > Load Tracklog, selected the photo in the filmstrip, and did Map > Tracklog > Auto-Tag Photos.  (I know those two locations pretty well, so I'm sure LR located the pics properly :->)

In which time zone is your computer (the one running LR)? 

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                          Doug Earle Level 1

John

What's odd was that those locations didn't get tagged by LR but others in other locations on the same day did. LR tagged about 1/4 to 1/2 of the photos.

My computer is on Central Time and I had reset my camera to Pacific (local) time when I arrived. I know the camera was correct as I just set it back to Central after downloading the photos.

Doug

Sent from my iPad

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                            My computer is on Central Time and I had reset my camera to Pacific (local) time when I arrived.

I think this is the problem.   You'll need to use the Map > Tracklog > Set Time Zone Offset command.  Time zones are generally pretty confusing to begin with, digital cameras typically don't record time zones, the Set Time Zone Offset command only makes it more confusing (and people often forget to change their cameras to local time).

Before invoking Auto-Tag, invoke the Set Time Zone Offset command and shift the offset so that the beginning and ending times shown for the log correspond to the beginning and ending times of that log in the local time where the log was recorded.  For example, it appears that the 9/30 log starts at 10:17 am local time (PDT) and ends at 7:11 pm local time (PDT).  So shift the offset until those two times are displayed (I think you'll need to use -2 hours).  Once you do that, the Auto-Tag command will be able to match photos taken in that local time against the log.

Because you didn't shift the offset, only some of the photos' capture times were matched to the tracklog.  And because my computer is running in the same time zone as that of the tracklog and the capture time of the photos (PDT), I didn't need to apply an offset.

Here's what's going on under the covers:

Tracklogs record time in absolute time (UTC, what people used to call GMT).  Cameras generally don't record a time zone in the capture date (and LR ignores any time zone that is recorded).  So to match a photo against a tracklog, LR needs to know the offset between the absolute UTC times in the tracklog and the time zone of the capture date.  When you first load a tracklog, LR will assume that the tracklog was recorded in the same time zone as the computer running LR (CDT, in your case).  If that assumption is wrong (as it is in your case), then you need shift the offset.   In your case, I think you'll need an offset of -2 hours (the difference between the time zone of your computer, CDT, and the time zone of the tracklog, PDT).

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                              Doug Earle Level 1

Thanks, John: That worked and tagged all the photos taken on Oct. 2 correctly. Now to do it for the remaining 7 days of the trip.

I not only appreciate the answer to the problem but also the explanation of LR's logic in what it does.  I'm largely self-taught and use one of Scott Kelby's books as a guide.  I've helped others get started and have observed that once you grasp the logic of Lightroom, it becomes much easier.  It really does have a beautiful brilliance to the internal logic.

Thanks Again,

Doug

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                                RickGTinCarmel

I have a similar problem... I used a GPX file and externally synched with photos... the GPS data IS IN the Metadata, when I view these photos in Preview on my Mac. BUT, Lightroom doesn't have the GPS metadata for these pictures, nor can I use Lightroom to synch with the GPX file and find any. This used to work with no problem, recent upgrade/version of Lightroom seems to have broken this feature.

• 13. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem

the GPS data IS IN the Metadata, when I view these photos in Preview on my Mac. BUT, Lightroom doesn't have the GPS metadata for these pictures

How are you determining that LR doesn't have the GPS metadata?  Are you looking in the Location preset of the Metadata panel in Library?

If the GPS field is blank, then in the Import window in the right column, make sure you have Apply During Import > Metadata set to None:

If that fixes the problem, then you were applying a metadata preset on import that was clearing the GPS field. Edit that preset and make sure GPS is unchecked.

• 14. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                                    RickGTinCarmel Level 1

The GPS field is blank... the import Metadata is set to none...

The picture has GPS data in it, but lightroom will not see it, display it, nor map it...

HELP

• 15. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem

Please upload a sample pic that has never been imported into LR to Dropbox or similar, and post the sharing link here. That will let us quickly narrow down the problem.

• 16. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                                        RickGTinCarmel Level 1

My workflow is to import untagged photos into lightroom, then tag against an uploaded GPX file. This trip didn't tag properly, and they didn't show on the map. It used to work this way in prior versions of Lightroom. after exporting to my dropbox folder, I used the app to GPS tag these. Pictures show tagging (see uploaded one) in Preview, but GPS field is blank.https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx59744a3l409nc/Grand%20Canyon-139.jpg?dl=0

• 17. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem

My workflow is to import untagged photos into lightroom, then tag against an uploaded GPX file. This trip didn't tag properly, and they didn't show on the map. It used to work this way in prior versions of Lightroom. after exporting to my dropbox folder, I used the app to GPS tag these. Pictures show tagging (see uploaded one) in Preview, but GPS field is blank.https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx59744a3l409nc/Grand%20Canyon-139.jpg?dl=0

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "I used the app to GPS tag these".  Which app?  LR?

What exactly do you mean when you say, "Pictures show tagging in Preview, but GPS field is blank"? When I open your sample photo in Preview on OS X 10.12.5, it displays the GPS information that's embedded in the photo:

If I import that photo into my LR, it too shows the GPS location:

• 18. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                                            RickGTinCarmel Level 1

frustrating... since the photo has the GPS location in it, and my Lightroom doesn't show it.

I just tried an experiment to force the library to re-synch the folder, and then ran an optimize on the whole library. Now I find the GPS data... funny that it wouldn't appear by itself

• 19. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem

Do Help > System Info -- what is the exact version of LR you're running?

• 20. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                                                prof_ahk

I am having the same problem.  This is a serious issue for me because I use the GPS data for my research on whale distribution.  I've tried with import metadata presets that used to work, have tried now with none, and the issue persists. PLEASE HELP.

• 21. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                                                  prof_ahk Level 1

I seem to have figured it out.  Instead of importing directly to Lightroom, I imported using Nikon Transfer, then imported into lightroom.  While this use to work well, and GPS data were transferred, for some reason, it does work now.  i then removed all of the recently imported photos, and imported directly int lightroom, and GPS imported properly.

• 22. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem

Sounds like Nikon Transfer could be mangling the metadata.  Nikon Transfer has had a number of issues in the past. 

• 23. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                                                      bob frost Level 3

I think you will find that all the problems with Nikon Transfer are because the user hasn't kept the program updated. If it is not updated, it will not know anything about recent cameras, and won't know how to copy their metadata. We've been using Nikon Transfer 2 for a long time now, and it gets updated with each new camera release as part of Nikon View NXi. Until recently I found LR unreliable and used Nikon Transfer 2 in preference!

Bob Frost

• 24. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                                                        prof_ahk Level 1

The user always updates Nikon Transfer software. The data are transferred with the file from the card to my computer. I see the HOS data while looking at file properties. Importing the data from the files stored in a folder never was problematic until now.

The only fix was to delete the files and import them directly into Lightroom as I always used to do.

Arthur H. Kopelman, Ph.D.

Professor of Science, FIT

Distinguished Service Professor, SUNY

Sent from my iPhone

Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary

• 25. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem

Can you upload a sample photo copied directly from the camera card and then the version that's been transferred using Nikon Transfer (but not imported into LR)?  Upload them to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.

I'd like to put them under the microscope and see if the issue is with LR (in which I'll file a bug report) or Nikon Transfer.

• 26. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 GPS Data problem
                                                            prof_ahk Level 1

Sorry, the card has already been reformatted

Arthur H. Kopelman, Ph.D.

Professor of Science, FIT

Distinguished Service Professor, SUNY

Sent from my iPhone

Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary