5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 11:28 AM by Szalam

Can't see light

rickmorton Level 1

I'm having a problem with lights. I've been testing the 3D camera tracking and placed some text in a moving scene as has been shown in many tutorials. I want the text to be 3D extruded so I did that. This however makes the text go black, without being able to see the extrusion, since there is no light on the 3D text. So I add a light. The problem is that I can't seem to get the light to hit the text. No matter what I do to move the light, the text just doesn't get lit. Looking at the TOP view, the text block is way off the comp frame to the top right and the very small do representing the light is off to the bottom left. ?? I don't know why this is since when I look at the camera view, both objects are in the middle of my comp. What am I not doing?

• 1. Re: Can't see light
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without seeing the actual scene layout nobody can tell you much nor have you provided any proper system info. Could just as well be that you are on an unsupported configuration and the shaders fail. also check whether your light has a falloff as opposed to being infinite.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can't see light
            rickmorton Level 1

Ok. I didn't realize I could include images here. I'll do that. My config is an iMac 27, Yosemite, 2.7 ghz i5.

Here is the comp with the movie background, the text and the light. The text is actually red but shows black.

The light is right next to it.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 7.38.45 AM.png

Here is the TOP view. Things seem to be all over the place. The text is in the upper right and

the camera is at the bottom. The light doesn't show at all. I must be doing something very wrong.

I added another light and can't make that work, either.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 7.39.11 AM.png

• 3. Re: Can't see light
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Tiny screenshots that don't show layer properties are useless. Show us your entire AE window and select the layers that are giving you problems and press the U key twice to reveal modified properties. Show us 4 comp views. Then take the screenshot and just drag it into the Reply field on this forum. I don't see a light anywhere in your comp. You didn't outline your workflow. Have you gone through any of the training materials found when you type Camera Tracking in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE?

• 4. Re: Can't see light
                rickmorton Level 1

Gee. Are you always this condescending? I'm the one admitting to NOT being an expert. Sorry I didn't meet your help request requirements. Perhaps you could try to be a little less holier-than-thou with your responses. Would be nice.

My workflow was to create a new comp. Add a movie. Track the points. Select the location. Right click to add a text layer. Position the text. Add a light to the scene to light the text and get a shadow. Text turns black with no light and no shadow.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 8.29.03 AM.png

• 5. Re: Can't see light
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In that screenshot, it looks like the light isn't pointing towards your text. To test if this is the case, change your light to a point light instead of a spotlight and make sure the falloff is set to infinite. If your text turns red, you've found the issue.