19 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2015 12:30 PM by A.T. Romano

Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?

Bill in Burbank Level 1

I am creating a video which is up to 300 pictures and 12 videos and 25 minutes in length.  The program is getting "balky" .  I am having trouble loading the project to work on it, and when it finally loads it leaves out certain pictures.  The titles are there and the timeline space is there, but it will have the generic red background instead of the appropriate picture, and the pictures change as to which ones don't load correctly.  What's going on?  I'd eventually like to go to about 45 minutes in length.  Can I?  Doesn't look like it.

• 1. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Computer resources and optimization, level of program support for a particular video format, how many photos and their pixel dimensions all go into the mix for

a. performance of Timeline editing

b. fate of Publish+Share export

How complex in your Timeline structure, for example, with regard to effects applied, transitions, titles, applied video stabilization with the Shake Stabilizer? Is this a one track project?

So

a. What are the properties of the 12 videos going into this project? What are the pixel dimension of the 300 pictures going into this project?

b. What do you computer resources look like with regard to installed and available RAM, free hard drive space, processor and its clock speed?

Of immediate concern are files that are presenting in the program with red backgrounds instead a video image. Are these red backgrounds solid red backgrounds or a colorful media offline display? If the latter, are you moving, deleting, renaming files and folders that you imported into a project after the project was saved closed? Are you getting any "Where is the file ____?" messages when you try to open the saved closed project? If you have your source media saved to an external hard drive is the drive formatted NTFS (for Windows) and is the drive letter changing on its own and/or is the drive malfunctioning in any other way?

Please review and consider the above with regard to this present time and situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
            Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi ATR - We're back together again.  You helped me several weeks ago through an arduous path.  Thank you.As to the questions you asked me, I'll do the best I can to answer:

-My time-line is getting pretty complex with lots of transitions and even more titles. No applied video stabilization.  It's already a two-video track project with narration and music to be added. And I'd like to add another 10-15 minutes - and even more transitions.-The properties of the 12 videos are they vary in length from 5 seconds to over a minute. Their meta-data says they vary anywhere from 100 - 700 MB.  -The pixel dimensions of the 300 pictures seem to vary from 3.7 - 5.0 MB. Pixel dimension seems to be 4000X2672.-Installed RAM is 8 GB with 3.49 GB "Usable"-Drive space 230 GB used out of total of 931 GB-Processor is an Intel(R)Core(TM) i5 CPU-Speed is 760 @ 2.80 GHz  2.79GHz-It's a 32-bit operating system-The "red backgrounds" are the colorful media offline display. Look like they should scroll but don't.-I'm not doing any of the moving or deleting or renaming of files as you suggest, and I'm not getting any of the "Where is the file

• 3. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Thanks for the details.

If you feel that your project is getting compromised by it size and complexity, there are a few things that we can do.

(If you have a 32 bit computer, your Premiere Elements 13 is a 32 bit application...for 32 bit computer, max supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3.2 to 3.0 GB of that are available....bottom line, you are less likely to get a large project taken to completion successfully as would be the case if Premiere Elements 13 were on a 64 bit computer which would give you Premiere Elements 13 as a 64 bit application which could take advantage of your 8 GB RAM installed).

1. You report 300 pictures at 4000 x 2672 pixels (3:2). Video is 4:3 or 16:9. If you are doing a HD project, then 16:9.

Resize and crop those pictures to 1920 x 1080 16:9.

2. What are the properties of those videos - especially frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive? Can I assume that they are using a high definition format 16:9? That information would direct us in setting up the project preset to be compatible with the video and picture imports.

3. If you have your source media for the project stored on an external hard drive, have the drive formatted to NTFS and make sure that there are no signs of malfunction, including the drive letter for it changing.

Let us see what this all looks like with resized cropped pictures. Do you have Photoshop Elements or a preferred program for the resizing cropping. It is not batch oriented by the Photoshop Elements Crop Tool will do a great job on an individual photo basis. More on that later.

Please review and consider....any chance of doing this work on a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                Bill in Burbank Level 1

A.T. - Looks like I should look into converting my computer to a 64-bit system.  Does that just require a new processor?  Can I still use all my other non-photographic programs designed for 32-bit systems?                                                                                Bill

• 5. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

It would be to your advantage to go 64 bit computer.

32 bit applications will run in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit computer operating system. And, in doing that, they were be governed by the limits of 32 bit computer, namely, max supported installed RAM 4 GB. The 64 bit applications will run in the 64 bit system and will have more available RAM above 4 GB.

Do you know if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit processor for your 32 bit computer operating system? I suspect it might be a 64 bit processor even if you now have a 32 bit operating system. Can you check on that? Please review the following online article on this type of question:

What is the difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit CPU?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

Thanks for the article, A.T.   How do I find out if I have a 64-bit processor.  I certainly would doubt it since my computer was built for me and the 32-bit operating system. I asked for 3-4 years ago.

I will look into upgrading my current computer to a 64-bit processor or buying a new 64-bit computer.  I'd probably be ahead of the game to buy a pre-built 64-bit system with new video cards and hard drive, etc.

If I get a new 64-bit system, will I be able to work on this DVD project that caused all this?  Would I have to buy a new version of Premier Elements or can the settings be changed on my current Premier Elements program?

• 7. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Thanks for the follow ups.

The information in the following link should tell you if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit processor.

How do I determine if I have 64-bit vs. 32-bit CPU?

Have you gone through that information yet? I think that I gave you that link in post 5....the part about finding System Information and seeing what is shown for System Type. I am almost certain your present computer is using a 64 bit processor but you cannot take anything for granted.

Please remind me if you purchased Premiere Elements 13 from an Adobe download? If so, often that download is  specific to the computer operating system to which it was downloaded at purchase. If you explore the installation files that you purchased, do you see a folder PRE32 or PRE64 or instead folders for PRE32 and PRE64?

ATR

• 8. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                        Bill in Burbank Level 1

Good morning, A.T.   My System Information says I have a  " x86-based PC".    I went to my order history, even went to the Download page and could find nothing about PRE32 or PRE64 folders.  Wasn't mentioned.There were the serial numbers of both Elements and Premier Elements I bought together.  The order number from last September is:

AD014154883

Even if I had to buy a 64-bit based PS Elements and Premier Elements, would it still be available since it's not actively promoted anymore?

• 9. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

The x86 based PC points to your present computer having a 32 bit processor. From that, it would appear that you are going to need a computer with a 64 bit processor and Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer. Premiere Elements 13 Windows will be a 64 bit application only on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer.

Not clear on what you mean by

Even if I had to buy a 64-bit based PS Elements and Premier Elements, would it still be available since it's not actively promoted anymore?

You can still purchase Premiere Elements 13 Windows. But, I want you to make sure what you have in the way of installation files that you purchased from Adobe in 2014....whether they can be used for a 64 bit computer. Did you keep copy of the download files on your computer after you downloaded and installed Premiere Elements 13. Those are the files/folders that I would like you to open (no install) to see if your find a PRE64 Folder in there.

ATR

• 10. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Also see prior post 9.....

Here is the link for Adobe Chat Orders. If necessary, let us try to get from it an answer for whether or not your purchased Premiere Elements 13 download is supported on a new 64 bit processor 64 bit operating system as well as your present system 32 bit processor 32 bit operating system.

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Membership, Account, Payment

Payments, Invoices, Orders

Chat Panel

ATR

• 11. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                              Bill in Burbank Level 1

I just ordered a new 64-bit computer with a quad-core processor, an upgraded dedicated video card. I bought it from the owner of the shop I have dealt with before.  I told him my problems and he said I would be ecstatic with this new system.

As to Adobe, I went to my account on-line and went to the download page where it gives you all the options to download based on what I bought.  I did not that it offered both a 32-bit and a 64-bite "installer" to download first, so from that I presume the programs are compatible with both 32 and 64-bit processors.  Just have to download the correct "installer", and I certainly will.

Really excited about my new custom-built computer; should have it by Friday.  Then to all the re-downloading of the programs . . . oh God  !    Been there, done that.  The store will transfer all my data and pictures, but I have to re-install the programs myself. 

Thank you for all your help.  Will keep you updated.       Bill

• 12. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Congratulations with your new computer. Sounding great.

There should be two sets of files for you at Adobe - best case scenario...

a. Two files each with 64 bit in the file name...one file with .exe file extension and the other file with .7z file extension.

and

b. Two files each with 32 bit in the file name...one file with .exe file extension and the other file with .7z file extension.

Have you found them with the appropriate file names?

Use of the 64 bit installation files set and your new computer, and you should be in for some great video editing and production.

Looking forward to learning of your progress as your time permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                                  Bill in Burbank Level 1

Yes, I think I found the files.  Will keep you updated on new computer.    Bill

• 14. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

Think 'm in trouble, A.T.  It looks like my projects, albums, etc. will NOT transfer over to my new 64-bity programs and computer.  I finally did get the Africa project DVD to load, but NONE of the pictures would load.

In Elements, none of the albums  will transfer over.  I do have the pictures in my base folder in Pictures on the hard drive.

It looks like if I want to do this, I will have to start over.  And if I want to have access to my old picture albums, projects, etc., I had better keep my old computer to have access to them.   It looks like none of the projects will carry over to my 64-bit system. 

Going to have dinner now - - - before I kill myself.   Last meal, you know . . .    

Let me know if you have any words of advice for me at this point - - - besides don't kill myself.  Don't worry, I won't.     Bill

• 15. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Let us start with the Africa project DVD. What is that?

a. a project prel file from Premiere Elements 13 from Windows 7 32 bit

or

b. Africa project whose Timeline was burned to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc and you are trying to rip/copy the DVD video files from the disc using Premiere Elements 13 (Windows 7 64 byt) Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive)?

And, whichever one, how are you getting it into Premiere Elements 13 or 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bits?

How are you trying to move Elements Organizer albums? I am wondering if we could use a conversion process to convert the Elements Organizer 13 catalog (from 32 bit) in Elements Organizer 13 (64 bit).

Please confirm what you are starting with so we can try getting this to work.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                                        Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T. - I DID successfully install the 13.1 upgrades for both Elements and Premier Elements on the 64-bit versions on my new computer.  No problem at all.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should go back to the 32-bit computer to try to finish my project by trying to break it up into 3 parts.  That would make it possible for the old system to handle all the data of my project.  Ever heard of someone doing that?  But then I'd have to burn it in 3 parts, and I don't know if it could be done on the same DVD.

Another thing I wanted to ask you: Is there some kind of "codec" which I could install on my new system which would allow it to load and read the project created under my old 32-bit system?  I saw a brief screen reference to a "A codec not installed" when I tried to load the project on to the 64-bit system.  Is there some kind of aid like that which would allow me to transfer and work on my 32-bit project on my 64-bit system?

Otherwise, I think I'm going to have to start at "square 1" and re-create the video all over from scratch.  A daunting task!

Bil                                                                               

• 17. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Great news about the install of 13/13.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

I do not have a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 32 bit system to work through the details of going between systems with your projects. In general, the quickest (maybe best) solution would be to finish the Premiere Elements 13 Windows 7 32 bit projects there. And, then start new projects on the new Windows 8.1 64 bit computer.

But, if you have not already, please explore....

1. Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 32 bit.....archive the project using File Menu/Project Archiver and the Copy Project option. Transfer the Copied Folder from the archiving to a USB Flash Drive. Insert the USB Flash Drive into the new computer, open the Copied Folder, right click the copy of the project file (.prel) there, select Open With, and then Adobe Premiere Elements 13. Does that work?

2. Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 32 bit....open the Elements Organizer 13, File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager. Find the name for your current catalog. Close out of there. I am not sure of the directory structure for your Window 7 32 bit. We are going to try to transfer the Elements Organizer 13 catalog (Windows 7 32 bit) to Elements Organizer 13/13.1 (Windows 8.1 64 bit).....So, either one of the following....

Windows XP 32 bit would be

Local Disk C

Documents and Settings

All Users

Application Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

and in the Catalogs Folder would be the named folder that you seek for your particular catalog (from 32 bit computer).

Window 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit would be

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

and in the Catalogs Folder would be the named folder that you seek for your particular catalog (from 32 bit computer)

Wherever you find your Elements Organizer 13 catalog from 32 bit computer, put the catalog on a USB Flash Drive, insert the USB Flash Drive into the Windows 8.1 64 bit computer, and move the catalog into the Catalogs Folder in the path given above for Window 8.1 64 bit. Does that work to find your albums in Elements Organizer 13/13.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bit?

Please review, consider, and then let me know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR

• 18. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                                            Bill in Burbank Level 1

Everything is installed, A.T.  Even the upgrades. Everything is working WONDERFULLY !  If I had only known how much Elements and especially Premier Elements NEEDS a 64-bit system.  I'm not spend half my time getting things to load, etc.  Things are flying!  So nice.  A pleasure.

Even though I had to start over on my DVD project as I told you,  it is such a pleasure to work with and I'll probably make up the time lost with the old project by the time I'm finished.  I am REALLY enjoying myself, even though I've had to spend so much time getting OTHER programs to work correctly on my new system. 

Will keep you updated.   Thanks for all your interest and help.  New computer cost me $1305 including an upgraded video card the guy suggested for Photoshop.  The picture on the monitor is gorgeous.

• 19. Re: Is there a limit on the length and content of videos created in Premier Elements 13?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill in Burbank

I am applauding your success. Well done.

Many thanks for sharing the great news with us. Your new computer and its increased resources will open up new and exciting opportunities for you in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 and in other computer applications.

As your schedule permits, please let us know of your progress. But, right now full speed ahead in producing great photo and video projects with Elements.

Best wishes

ATR