6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2015 1:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements v10 on windows 7 stopped launching one day.

degasro

I am using Premier Elements v10 on windows 7 (v6.1 build 7601).  PRE Suddenly stopped launching one day. Organizer launches normally, NEW PROJECT or OPEN PROJECT just sits and spins for a bit and than nothing happens.  No error message.  Poured through forums and tried the following: Updated video driver. Updated quicktime to latest (v7.7.6). All windows updates applied. Applied latest PRE10 update. Tried launching while holding shift key.  Uninstalled and reinstalled PRE10. Nothing changes, same symptons.  Please help! 

• 1. Re: Premier Elements v10 on windows 7 stopped launching one day.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

degasro

Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit)

What video card/graphics card driver does your computer use? NVIDIA GeForce?

Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled? Does your computer use the McAfee antivirus program?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements v10 on windows 7 stopped launching one day.
            degasro Level 1

Sorry for not including those details. 64 BIt.  Ati Radeon HD5450.  Using antivirus from ISP: Rogers Online Protection. No difference running or off.

• 3. Re: Premier Elements v10 on windows 7 stopped launching one day.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

degasro

Thanks for the additional information.

1. How recently did you update your ATI Radeon HD5450? Did the problem coincide with any driver update? Would a driver version roll back be indicated in such a case?

2. Do you have any other security software (other than antivirus) that might have been updated around the time the problem hit?

3. Have you looked at deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs and, if necessary, the whole 10.0 Folder in which it exists?

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enable so that you can see the complete path given.

4. When you did the Premiere Elements 10 uninstall/reinstall, did you go through the sequence

a. Uninstall the usual Control Panel way.

b. Free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - Download

c. Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

5. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 10? Are you running the programs as administrator?

6. Are you working with pen and tablet device instead of mouse?

7. Moving to almost last resorts, can you create a new user account with administrative privileges, and install and try to run Premiere Elements 10 from there?

Please  review and consider, especially "4". We will comment further based on your reply details.

Thanks you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier Elements v10 on windows 7 stopped launching one day.
                degasro Level 1

1. I don't even recall the last time I updated the video driver (at least before the issue happened) so I am somewhat confident a rollback wont help (assumes no auto updates of video driver)

2. "Other security software" I learned during this troubleshooting that I have Windows Defender and MS Security Essentials enabled, not ROGERs Online Protection. Tried launching with that disabled, no difference.

3 and 4.  I did not delete prefs but today I did uninstall again using control panel, this time I selected "remove prefs" and "deactivate" checkboxes, restarted, i deleted the whole 10.0 Folder (using "show all files") I ran ccleaner on registry, restarted, I am in the process of re-installing 64BIT PRE10 with anti-virus disabled.  

5. Latest version of QuickTime installed, I double checked. Latest patches for Premiere Elements 10 (I only found one that had to do with raw camera).  I am running as administrator at all times.

6. No pen, tablets... just a mouse

I'll advise status once I finish re-install.

thanks for your help to date.

• 5. Re: Premier Elements v10 on windows 7 stopped launching one day.
                  degasro Level 1

Completed re-install with anti-virus disabled. No change.  Restarted again just in case, no difference.

Ran out of options so, just in case, I rolled back the video driver (ATI Radeon HD) and you were right, that is what finally fixed the issue!  Must have auto updated and caused the problem. thanks !

• 6. Re: Premier Elements v10 on windows 7 stopped launching one day.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

degasro

Thanks for the very good news that your Premiere Elements 10 issue is resolved so that you can continue with your projects. Great job of working through that driver version roll back to gain the success.

Your follow up is appreciated.

Best wishes.

ATR