5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2007 2:20 PM by Newsgroup_User

double stage width problems

james_baron
      hey,

I am creating a movie to be displayed on two screens side by side, ie the stage will be 2048x768. I have 5 or so sprites moving around the stage but want to be able to limit some to one screen (half the stage) and some not. So is there anyway i can only allow some of the sprites to be visible on half the stage and once they move out of that half they disappear but at the same time have others that can be visible every where? I have tried using shapes to hide them, ie having shapes above the sprites i want to restrict and the sprites i dont want to restrict above the shape but it is not effective.. does that make sence???

Have been trying for a while with no success,
      Thanks in advance
      James
        • 1. Re: double stage width problems
          Level 7
          I've never worked with two screens like that before, but couldn't you
          just make a sprite visible when it's on one half of the screen, and
          invisible on the other? Something like this:

on exitFrame me
          if sprite(the currentSpriteNum).locH < 1024 then
          sprite(the currentSpriteNum).visible = true
          else
          sprite(the currentSpriteNum).visible = false
          end if
          end

james baron wrote:
          > hey,
          >
          > I am creating a movie to be displayed on two screens side by side, ie the
          > stage will be 2048x768. I have 5 or so sprites moving around the stage but want
          > to be able to limit some to one screen (half the stage) and some not. So is
          > there anyway i can only allow some of the sprites to be visible on half the
          > stage and once they move out of that half they disappear but at the same time
          > have others that can be visible every where? I have tried using shapes to hide
          > them, ie having shapes above the sprites i want to restrict and the sprites i
          > dont want to restrict above the shape but it is not effective.. does that make
          > sence???
          >
          > Have been trying for a while with no success,
          > Thanks in advance
          > James
          >
          • 2. Re: double stage width problems
            james_baron Level 1
            hey, thanks for that, yes that works in some cases, the only problem is that it takes the location point from the top right corner so i still have part of the shape moving onto the other screen and it disappears rather than doing a fade wipe sort of transition.. I guess i could just adjust the location point in the script to accomodate the sprites width
            • 3. Re: double stage width problems
              Level 7
              You could also adjust the blend of the sprite based on it's distance
              from the center if you want it to fade out.

james baron wrote:
              > hey, thanks for that, yes that works in some cases, the only problem is that it
              > takes the location point from the top right corner so i still have part of the
              > shape moving onto the other screen and it disappears rather than doing a fade
              > wipe sort of transition.. I guess i could just adjust the location point in the
              > script to accomodate the sprites width
              >
              • 4. Re: double stage width problems
                james_baron Level 1
                yer i tried that, i need a wipe transition thou. Like as the sprite goes past the 1024 point it needs to 'wipe' away. so once half of it has disappeared you can continue seeing the rest of it until it disappears. Otherwise if i just use the visible command as soon as it hits that point the whole object disappears.
                • 5. Re: double stage width problems
                  Level 7
                  I see now. Don't know how to do it, but I understand what you're after.
                  You may get on the Lingo forum and ask some of the imaging-lingo gurus
                  if they know of a way to do that.

james baron wrote:
                  > yer i tried that, i need a wipe transition thou. Like as the sprite goes past
                  > the 1024 point it needs to 'wipe' away. so once half of it has disappeared you
                  > can continue seeing the rest of it until it disappears. Otherwise if i just use
                  > the visible command as soon as it hits that point the whole object disappears.
                  >