1 2 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2017 2:31 PM by BrooksRehab

Lightroom CC brush hyper slow

Victor Wolansky Level 1

Just installed the new Lightroom CC and OMG the brush is HYPER slow...  like almost unusable with the GPU enabled. Like 20 times slower, no kidding. And my machine is pretty fast and the GPU pass and is compatible and pretty fast with anything else..  Slow like I do not see the results until I release the pen....  Same Machine, same photo LR 5.7 works perfectly fine.

Lightroom version:  CC 2015 [1014445]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Business Edition

Version: 6.3 [9600]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.2 GHz

Built-in memory: 32690.8 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32690.8 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 4882.5 MB (14.9%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 5063.0 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 6

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 680M/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0

Renderer: GeForce GTX 680M/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
          Victor Wolansky Level 1

If there is any doubt about that this is a LR CC problem and not my machine, here is a video of the very same thing with LR5.7.1 where you can see it is many times faster than LR CC.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
            Victor Wolansky Level 1

Not only this is slower, even the simple zoom in to 1:1, the time the software needs to render the full resolution preview is a lot slower too. and I have a stripe of SSDs that gives me over 1000MB/s so it is not an HDD problem, plus is 5 times faster in LR 5.7.1 

At the office my HP Z820 have a Quadro 6000 and also is MUCH slower than LR 5.7.1   with and without GPU enabled.

On all the years I have being using LR I have never seen a new release to be this much slower than the previous one.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
              Victor Wolansky Level 1

trying to keep it in the front page to see if I can get the attention of any Adobe employee caring about making this better.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                Tharaphita Level 1

I have same problem, tbh the spot removal is even much worse with  LR 6

And btw, sadly the biggest problem is, that even when i switch off GPU, the 5.7 is faster then 6

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                  Middel47 Level 1

I realy hope Adobe is fixing the speed issues on LR6 / LRCC because on my Mac everything seems to be slower.

Also the installation / upgrade from LR5.7 wasn't smooth. This is solved, but IMO, this software is not ready yet. It is slow with previews, brushing, comparing.

I am working on an 2013 maxed out iMac so I don't expect my Mac to be the limiter here. LR5.7 was way more smooth. Please fix this, Adobe.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                    clar1j0h Level 1

I am having similar problems - working with 57,000 photos - some tasks in the library module are taking a over 30 seconds to complete.  It seems there is a problem with this LR6/LRCC - although I am not sure if it is a creative cloud problem.  I also noticed error messages about my software when not connected to the web - is this now essential for a creative cloud version to be connected to the web at all times?

Overall not a good update by Adobe.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                      gcookie Level 1

Library module is stuck in mud... moving back to LR5

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                        RayRainka Level 1

I just upgraded to LR 6 and have the same issue.  I haven't explored all of the tools but the adjustment brush is glacially slow compared to LR 5.7.  I am running the following hardware.

Win7 PRO 64

Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GH (6 core)

32 G DDR4 2133 MHz

GTX 970 Video (4G)

Crucial M550 SSD (512)

Western Digital Black HD (4T)

Dell U2412M Ultrasharp Monitor

This should be plenty of horsepower to run LR easily.  How could Adobe release this pig without adequate testing?

Please advise if there are any solutions short of reverting to LR 5

Ray Rainka

rainka@Comcast.net

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                          Victor Wolansky Level 1

Best thing you can do is go bat to 5 until 6 is tested and ready if you are a heavy user of the adjustment brush, I am, and I could not use LR CC to do my job, it would take me easily 10 times what takes me on LR 5

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                            GarfieldKlon222 Level 1

I'm also a victim. My system:

Windows 8.1 64bit

32GB RAM

SSD

Geforce GTX 770

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                              winterstephan Level 1

Any news in the problem??

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                Victor Wolansky Level 1

I guess news is there are no news :-(. Not s single word from Adobe. Buy that is kind of expected.

Sent from the Moon

• 13. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                  Woofy Level 1

I'd like to keep this on the front page.

The speed issue is destroying my business - I depend on being able to upload 400 edited images to my website every 2 weeks or so

• 14. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                    BigRayJava Level 1

Same problem. This is speed problem is really awful.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.1 [ 1025654 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.7 GHz

Built-in memory: 32694.8 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32694.8 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1239.0 MB (3.7%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1237.1 MB

Memory cache size: 516.9 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 770M/PCIe/SSE2

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 347.52

Renderer: GeForce GTX 770M/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

• 15. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                      Victor Wolansky Level 1

Go back to 5.7.1 your business is more important than using 6.0

Sent from the Moon

• 16. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The GPU acceleration is well known to slow down the brushes. Adobe warns us on that in their "notes on GPU acceleration" on this forum: GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

In short, if you do not have a very high resolution (4K or bigger) and don't have an extremely modern GPU you really should turn it off as you won't see any benefit and might actually slow down certain actions. I really wish Adobe didn't turn this on by default as it is the leading cause of Lightroom 6/CC is slow concerns. If you turn it off, Lightroom 6/CC should be similar to LR 5.7 in speed. For some people this doesn't entirely solve it though but for me it is the same as 5.7.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                          Woofy Level 1

I've tried that, but the catalog won't open in the older version

Sent from my iPhone

• 18. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                            Victor Wolansky Level 1

That is why I do not migrate catalogs until I sure the software is usable. And you should still have the old catalog since new ones are created and not replaced. You can also leave what you have so far in there and go back to the old good Lightroom for future jobs. Expecting to have Adobe to fix this I a timely manner is a bit of a fantasy.

You can also save the metadata of the files to the files itself and open the photos in the old LR by syncing the folders, the only thing it will ignore are new features if you used any.

Sent from the Moon

• 19. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                              Victor Wolansky Level 1

I have several pretty recent GPUs at the office, in pretty recent HP workstations. It crawls to a stop almost with and without GPU when you have a decent amount of brushes. Just a few like to fix a few eyes and soften a skin not a Problem. But when you retouch jewelry like me, it's plain unusable.

Sent from the Moon

• 20. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                andrew.hoeveler Level 1

I would love to go back, but the LR6 library isn't backwards compatible. Now I'd have to open a library file from March or something, with the whole gap of image work from March through July!

• 21. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                  ivanempire Level 1

Not sure about the connectivity errors since I have a laptop that's almost never connected to the web running LR6 and I don't see it complaining. Do you have something constantly connecting out in the background, other than the cloud?

• 22. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                    RussKNY Level 1

So does anyone know what's causing this issue exactly? Where is the bottleneck? When I'm experiencing this "lagging" issue with an adjustment or healing brush I'm not seeing any excessive spikes in terms of CPU, memory or HDD resources on my Mac Pro. So what is the source of the slowdown?

• 23. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                      Victor Wolansky Level 1

No efficient code or programming I guess....  The latest version released a week ago if you turn OFF GPU will behave like 5.7.1 but still be super slow with GPU enabled.

Sent from my iPad

• 24. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                        larissac93368031 Level 1

Same issue with the adjustment brush and overall slow performance with LR in general. I'm a professional photographer. I average 80,000 photos in each catalog. I spend 8 - 10 hours in LR daily. I recently built a computer with LR performance in mind to try an combat the over slowness, stutters and delays. The upgrade had has next to no effect. LR's general performance is still painful, however the adjustment brush issue is straight maddening. Off topic: Tethered Capture (Nikon D700 to USB 3.0) is so slow that it serves absolutely no purpose and can't even kind of be considered for use around clients.

LR CC

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

Intel Core i7 3930K @ 3.20GHz 34 °C

16.0GB DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X79-UD3 (SOCKET 0) 27 °C

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 40 °C

238GB OCZ-VECTOR ATA Device (SSD) x2

• 25. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                          Victor Wolansky Level 1

Your only solution as I see it is either some of the Adobe gurus tell you on which hardware they tested this before consider it ready to release, and get that, or you go back to LR 5.7.1.

Sent from the Moon

• 26. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                            dj_paige Level 9

If you do a lot of brushing and/or spot healing, the Lightroom Develop Module (and sometimes the Library module) is going to be slow. Turning on the Graphics acceleration in Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6 will make this problem worse. And I seriously doubt that Lightroom 5.7.1 will be much better if the brushing is the cause of your slowness.

You might want to try using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements for your brushing and spot healing. This will result in the rest of the tasks in Lightroom speeding up considerably.

If you still think you want to brush in Lightroom, do not do any lens corrections until you have finished brushing.

It would also help to get the fastest CPU you can afford  ... and by the way is that a typo, your memory runs at 666MHz? That's kind of slow by today's standards.

• 27. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                              Victor Wolansky Level 1

Look. I'm using this on a brand new HP Z840 with dual 10 core Xeons, 128 GB or ram, 1200MB/s SDD and a Quadro 6000M and LR7 SUCKS. There is no faster machine than this on the market at this point neither faster GPU. LR7 should never released in the current state.

Using Photoshop is not a solution for the people that edit 100s of photos per day, it's slow and once you open a CR2 or a DNG and save it as a TIFF 16 bits to keep the quality from PS it becomes a 400MB file easily. That's simply not possible as a workflow.

Sent from the Moon

• 28. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                dj_paige Level 9

Yes, LR7 sucks because it hasn't been released , you're working with unfinished software.

Seriously, if it isn't working for you, it isn't working, but it does work for many people. I don't know what's different in your case.

• 29. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                  Victor Wolansky Level 1

LR 6 or CC2015. Sorry. It probably works for people doing small things. Everyone that complains in here have problems when doing extensive use of its tools.

Sent from the Moon

• 30. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                    dj_paige Level 9

Some people are not complaining, and at least one says LR CC is faster with his setup than LR 5 ever was.

• 31. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                      Victor Wolansky Level 1

Probably not using brushes    or many graduated filters. Good for that person. Again. Adobe should specify what hardware to get to use their software. Because believe me, were I work we have all kind of machines, and have yet to find one where it works acceptably

• 32. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                        dj_paige Level 9

You seem to be discussing two or three different problems as if they were one problem, and I'm not really sure which one you are discussing (or maybe you are discsussing all of them).

1. Brushing and spot healing causes Lightroom to slow down to (sometimes) unusable levels, this has been a problem ever since I started using Lightroom at version 2.3; and is unrelated to the next 2 problems
                                                                        2. Lightroom 6/Lightroom CC is slow with the graphics acceleration turned on, and so the advice is to turn off the graphics acceleration.
                                                                        3. Lightroom on some very capable machines is slow
                                                                        • 33. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                          Victor Wolansky Level 1

1 - I can use heavy. And really heavy brush in LR 5.7.1. Talking about well over 100 strokes. With almost no delay on 50MP images. LR6 gets super slow with and without GPU acceleration after the first 10 or so strokes.

2. Even with GPU off is slower than LR 5.7.1. With GPU on is just unusable.

3. It should not. Shows bad coding.

Sent from the Moon

• 34. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                            CodeThought Level 1

I just noticed the same thing here using LR CC and one of the supposedly 'supported' cards for LR on the Mac.

Graphics Processor Info:

ATI Radeon HD 5770 OpenGL Engine

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 4.1 ATI-1.32.25

Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5770 OpenGL Engine

LanguageVersion: 4.10

Not sure what's going on but I haven't noticed this prior to the most recent version of LR CC.  Turning off graphics acceleration (deceleration?)  and the problem instantly goes away.  Glad I have lots of CPU cores on my mac.

• 35. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                              Victor Wolansky Level 1

It is pretty weird. I think they have tons of optimization to do and may be not all the experience. May be they need to hire people that knows about this. It used to work extremely bad in my computer and since the last version is working pretty well. I hope next version does not break it again.

Sent from the Moon

• 36. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                                Adobetopfan Level 1

I have the latest iMac 5k. Yes turning off graphic acceleration helps speed up brushes but then other adjustment tools like Exposure, contrast, shadows and highlights start to lag. Just can't win.

Anyone knows if Adobe is working for a solution for this? Or are they too busy designing new features that nobody wants and removing them?

I really wish they give priority to basic performance issues like this, instead of focusing on new features.

• 37. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                                  CodeThought Level 1

I just upgraded to an AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB.  And I tried turning graphics acceleration back on.  While it was a little bit better, there was still lag and I turned it back off.

Adobetopfan wrote:

I have the latest iMac 5k. Yes turning off graphic acceleration helps speed up brushes but then other adjustment tools like Exposure, contrast, shadows and highlights start to lag. Just can't win.

Now THAT is interesting.. I don't have that behavior with either the new graphics adapter OR the old one.

• 38. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                                    Middel47 Level 1

I'm still experiencing problems with LR 6.3 with brushing and GPU Acceleration on. While working with GPU disabled, it keeps crashing. With GPU enabled, it is hyper slow and not workable either way. No response yet from any Adobe engineer / employee that this is being addressed by engineers.

Bought C1 Pro already, but I keep hoping Adobe will fix this issue. Any thoughts here?

note: I proces more than 25GB in a week on raw image files only.

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 17.11.53.png

• 39. Re: Lightroom CC brush hyper slow
                                                                                      yuvaln64183989 Level 1

Hi All

The only thing that eliminate the slowness was to upgrade my desk top system, upgrade to a larger internal RAM from 1X4G to 12G (1X4G + 1X8G) .

this after open the TASK-MANGER (Window) and realize that LR took 90% of the RAM ussage (now its ~30-40%).

Now I can work fast, meaning that mostly the machine wait for me than opposite :-)

Yuval.

1 2 Previous Next