9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 6:47 AM by A.T. Romano

Bug in Premiere Elements 13?

sebastiand85193511

I am using Premiere Elements as a trial version and actually want to buy it. But this problem now makes me quite reluctant: when I delete the audio of a clip, or import a clip into a video track, elements on other tracks get shifted, cut and sometimes even deleted. And when I change the speed of a single clip, then the clips on the same track also get shifted in the time line. Is it a bug or can I adjust some settings against these issues? I will be thankful for any ideas and suggestions.

Best

Sebastian

• 1. Re: Bug in Premiere Elements 13?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sebastian

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements running? Since you refer to trial version, I am assuming that you are looking at Premiere Elements 13. Have you updated 13 to 13.1 using the Help Menu/Updates of an opened project?

To the immediate question....in Premiere Elements (any version), there is typically the consideration related to adding media to an existing Timeline - consequences other clips shifting and/or audio begin cut. The typical way to handle that is to use "keyboard modifiers" as you make these additions to the existing Timeline. In doing this, you hold down the Ctrl key or Alt key (Windows) as you make your addition to the Timeline.

Depending on the circumstances of the Timeline, this can get complex. Often grouping of clips before these additions is a safety net. See Clip Menu/Group. There may be times when changing a clip's duration by dragging on the Timeline clip gets around clip shifts that might be seen using Time Stretch for the task. All sorts of possibilities.

Please review the following free video tutorial dealing with keyboard modifiers. The link is posted for informational (non promotional purposes).

Arranging clips on the Timeline using modifier keys from the Course Premiere Elements 8 for Windows Essential Training

Please review and explore the above, and then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Bug in Premiere Elements 13?
            sebastiand85193511 Level 1

Dear ATR,

thank you for your fast reply. Sorry that I forgot to mention my operation system, it's Windows 8. Unfortunately your suggestions didn't help. I did an update before form 13 to 13.1 and there was no change in the programme's behaviour. Also the video tutorial doesn't really help as it refers to a single track project. My problem is that if I add a video in let's say track 2, then on other video tracks the clips after the new clip get shifted. It happens with drag&drop from the window folder as well as with drag&drop the project elements window, also with pressed ctrl and alt keys. Even grouping the clips before didn't help. And again: changing the speed and thus duration of a single clip shifts not only clips on the same track, but also on other tracks. I am really clueless now ...

But thanks for your efforts!

Best!

Sebastian

• 3. Re: Bug in Premiere Elements 13?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Sebastian

In the spirit of never give up, could you post a screenshot of your opened tracks Expert workspace Timeline showing all the tracks and their contents and write specifically what you want to move and where?

I will see if I can devise some Timeline maneuvers to get the job done.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Bug in Premiere Elements 13?

Dear ATR,

thank you for your endeavour! So here we go: the first picture (screen01.jpg) shows the original project. In the next one (screen02.jpg) you can see that I inserted a clip (00022.MTS) in video track 3, after which the clips in the tracks higher than track 3 get shifted and the files in audio 1 and video 1 get divided and shifted.

In the third photo (screen 03.jpg) you can see a different portion of the same project, clip 00024.MTS is selected. And in the fourth (screen04.jpg) you'll see that after changing the speed of the clip by 50% (so half speed and double duration) the other clips are shifted to later points in the timeline.

In all these cases the clips were not grouped before. So any ideas?

Best wishes

Sebastian

screen 01.jpgscreen 02.jpg

screen 03.jpg

screen 04.jpg

• 5. Re: Bug in Premiere Elements 13?

And same things happen when freezing a frame. So there is nobody of the Adobe team reading and helping here? It is disappointing to see that there is no other way of a customer support for this product German phone hotline referring to this forum promises quick help by the team ...

• 6. Re: Bug in Premiere Elements 13?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

sebastian

The frequency of the Adobe presence in this Adobe Premiere Elements Forum is undefined. It is essentially a Premiere Elements user to user forum. So I am curious why the German phone hotline implies "forum promises quick help by the team...", presumed Adobe employed.

I will am looking at what you presented in post 4 and will also look at it with regard to freeze frames. There are no instantaneous answers....just basic maneuvers needed to work around the Timeline structure to minimize or eliminate disturbance in the existing Timeline when changes are being made in the Timeline.

I will try work out a plan today as schedule permits. Where is the freeze frame to go, any place in particular?

ATR

• 7. Re: Bug in Premiere Elements 13?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

sebastian

I have been working on your workflow with the issues resulting from altering an existing Timeline content.

For a Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project, I structured the Timeline tracks as you showed in your screenshots from tracks 1 through 4 and could not get any of the clips above or below track 3 to move or be cut by insert of my clip comparable to your 00024.mts. Before the 00024.mts insert on track 3, when I was building the Timeline, I ran into a problem where, after completing the build of video track 4, I noticed that my first 3 clips on 4 had video and audio (linked) where you showed only video. When I went to delete the audio from these files, I got a shift in the track 4  content. I discovered that, when I unlinked the audio from the video, I could delete the audio leaving the video and no shifts in the Timeline content.

When considering slow motion effects for an already placed clip, to avoid disturbances to existing Timeline, do not use Time Stretch. Instead drag the clip out using the mouse cursor, provided that the extended clip does not bump into the next clip on that Timeline. You might also think about applying Time Stretch to a clip in an isolated part of the Timeline and then moving the Time Stretched clip into place in the existing Timeline.

As for Freeze Frames...I would advise you to use Tools/Freeze Frames and the option for Export where you save the freeze frame as .bmp to the hard drive. Then, from the computer hard drive, import the freeze frame into the project (Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag it to the Timeline position with or without a keyboard modifier Alt or Ctrl). You could also consider using Publish+Share/Computer/Image to export your freeze frame as jpeg.

Just put your Timeline Indicator on the frame that you want and go to Publish+Share. Then import that exported freeze frame back into the project (Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the freeze frame into place on the Timeline track, with or without the keyboard modifier).

When necessary, selection or grouping of Timeline clips before moving existing Timeline components can be indicated in these considerations.

These workflow considerations are not unique to Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Bug in Premiere Elements 13?

Dear ATR,

thank you so much for your suggestions. Yes, I meanwhile more or less had the same idea. And I also had the same problem with the audio clips, sometimes even after unlinking them from the video files! But of course, there are solutions, unfortunately they are disturbing the workflow.

But not just German Adobe, also international team is referring to this forum for help. I wrote to their feedback line and they told me to ask other users for help! That's a really bewildering behaviour!

So thank you again for your patience and endeavour!

Best

Sebastian

• 9. Re: Bug in Premiere Elements 13?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

sebastian

Thank you for the follow up message.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarifications. For Elements Windows I can work through the details given to give suggestions that worked for me and others.

The case of additions and other adjustments to an existing Timeline without disturbing that Timeline can be complex depending on the structure of that existing Timeline. At those times, the development of workarounds with keyboard modifiers and other maneuvers can be challenging.

Best wishes

ATR