3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2015 3:54 AM by Just Shoot Me

Worth up upgrade to LR6 (non-CC, standalone)?

clauss9448021

Hi,

is it worth up upgrade to LR6 (the standalone version)?

I do not use the CC/Cloud/Mobile-stuff, I also do not use HDR and panorama photography.

90% I use LR for organizing, tagging, ... my pictures and editing.

And I use a MBP 17" from (end 2007, 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 6 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB), does this MBP benefit from "faster performance feature/GPU"? I think this would be the only benefit I have - a fester LR, which, of course, is very nice! But, is it faster?

Greetings and thanks,

Claus

• 1. Re: Worth up upgrade to LR6 (non-CC, standalone)?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I don't believe the upgrade would benefit you at all. I'm not sure your 8+ year old GPU supports the new feature and if I remember correctly all MBP's with the NVidia 8600M GPU will eventually fail from GPU failure.

Here's a link to the Apple KB article.

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues - Apple Support

Which Apple fixed if it happened in the first 4 years from date of purchase.

So although your Mac may still work today tomorrow it may not.

• 2. Re: Worth up upgrade to LR6 (non-CC, standalone)?
            clauss9448021 Level 1

some years ago i had this problem that all went "black", apple replaces the mainboard.

but, i hope they fixed this problem by installing a correct mainboard, so it wont get "black" (at least because of this big gpu bug).

thanks you for the answer, i also thought it wont make a difference. i might continue with lr .5.

• 3. Re: Worth up upgrade to LR6 (non-CC, standalone)?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Apple replaced it with the exact same faulty GPU, a NVidia 8600M GT, which eventually will fail just like it did the first time.

Apple stopped making that motherboard/Logic Board back in late 2008. So any and all the ones they used to do the replacements were Refurbished from the original run. There is also a process to fix the faulty soldering. You BAKE the MB/LB in an oven. That Reflows the bad soldering allowing it to work for X period of time but even those will fail eventually.

Best of Luck to you.

P.S.

I gave up on Apple/Mac after my Late 2011 MBP failed from another faulty GPU. Sold it for parts and moved on. Now I see Apple has finally acknowledged the problem after thousands, if not millions, of that same model failed.