15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2015 11:30 PM by Yves Apel

weird blank pages in reflowable epub

Kinneret

I have a book of 27 chapters, everything is designed in the same way. But between 26th and 27th chapter there is a blank page, which I cannot explain. No any blank xml exported, no any odd entry or so.

html looks exactly same for all chapters, content.opf looks ok.

what can be a reason?

I see it both in ibooks (imac) and ibooks (ipad) and it doesn't matter of increasing/decreasing font or other issues of preview.

Working in current IND.

• 1. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
          Derek Cross Level 6

Have you cracked it open and looked at the HTML?

• 2. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
            Kinneret Level 1

yes of course

• 3. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Kinneret wrote:

yes of course

Nothing's "of course" about it. We have no idea who you are or what your level of proficiency is! I would suggest being courteous to those who try to help you.

• 4. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                Kinneret Level 1

Can i ask what is a reason of your aggression? which incivility do you mention?

I write a lot of questions in different areas of indesign\epub, and i've made 300+ epubs during last year, and if you don't know who I am, it doesn't let you to say nobody knows.

And I'm sorry but it is first time I see such rudeness in adobe forums, and i'll report about it.

Back to the issue, if you had spent a bit of time to read my starting letter, you would have known I opened the epub, html and opf files, and didn't find smth unusual inside.

You want to see it - let me upload some files to somewhere, but i am not sure you are the person to help me.

• 5. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                  TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Kinneret wrote:

which incivility do you mention?

"Of course": "Avoid using this phrase as a synonym for "Yes." Answering a question with "Of course" carries with it the unspoken follow-on, "you idiot."

10+ phrases that can be irritating or offensive - TechRepublic

but i am not sure you are the person to help me.

You needn't worry about that.

• 6. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                    Kinneret Level 1

i am sorry, if simple phrase like "of course" means for you "you are idiot" that is completely your problem. May be take some, even basic, english training.

In this case, it just meant i did cracked the epub file because there is no other way to see inner files i'd spoken about in the very first note.

• 7. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                      Kinneret Level 1

I managed to fix those empty pages I had spoken at the beginning. What has been changed? Nothing. Just played with graphics, moving objects from left to right and coming back.

But the problem remains as after I had fixed chapters 26-27, new blank pages appeared between chapter 10-11, which were completely ok before!

It looks like a bug. Something during export processing causes to it, inserting blank space wherever you cannot expect. I contacted other IND users, and I see I am not alone.

Any Adobe clue to solve it?

I've filled a bug report.

• 8. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                        SandT21 Level 1

Are any of you p tags set to "page-break-after:always;" or "page-break-before:always;"?

• 9. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                          Pariah Burke Adobe Community Professional

Kinneret,

Blank pages in EPUB are often caused by the the inclusion of unanchored, empty graphic or text frames somewhere in the Chapter 26 INDD document. I recommend doing a Find for frames with no fill, clicking Next to personally visually inspect each one. You might find one--maybe a tiny one resulting from an errant click and slight wrist movement with the Type Tool or a shape tool.

The same thing can result from an errant path, too, so if you fail to find an extra frame or two, look for paths or just lone anchor points sitting out there.

Let me know if any of this solves your problem. If not, we'll look at some other possible factors.

Regards,

Pariah Burke

• 10. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                            Kinneret Level 1

yes, i have 2 tags like it: one for titles, and one for pages like credits, which i want to be started at a new page.

• 11. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                              Kinneret Level 1

thanks for solutions

i do know about obstacles like empty graphics or even empty blank rows. i had checked the file even before making this thread.

but one more important thing: i wrote above - But the problem remains as after I had fixed chapters 26-27, new blank pages appeared between chapter 10-11, which were completely ok before!

if it were some blank object just within the 26th chapter, it wouldn't happen in the 10th chapter during next export action?

By the way i tried to export with based on Articles option turned on, which doesn't include any unanchored items. No result, blank page still can appear anywhere.

• 12. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                                Kinneret Level 1

I have found at least one stable reason for blank pages.

If my chapter finishes with some text style having positive "space after" setting, it causes blank page after it. Double checked.

Now a reasonable question - WHY??

It happens also when previous chapter ends on the middle of device "screen", so it's not because a text reaches the bottom of a "page".

• 13. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                                  Yves Apel Level 2

Spaces are included in the used/reserved part when the rendering of the complete chapter happens. Margin/Padding = used space

There are more factors for this blank page rendering bug. It can be caused by the first empty div, InDesign includes in the ePub. It can happen due to loading lapses between the image and the css defining the image size. And, the ereader page rendering engines (not talking about engines such as webkit) are not always the best. Those page rendering engines have the hard job to transfer a scrolling page (default website principe) into simulated book pages. This is technically not as easy as one might think (CSS Regions to be simulated by the ereader with text reflow, ...).  Or have you seen already blank pages in the scrolling mode?

Unfortunately, you can't do much about this issue.

• 14. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                                    Kinneret Level 1

ok other reasons expressed by you are aside for me, right now. i just want to understand why even 1 px of spacing after paragraph causes blank page (of course not in scrolling mode)?

i still cannot understand the code issue here. ?

• 15. Re: weird blank pages in reflowable epub
                                      Yves Apel Level 2

Kinneret,

the code issue looks to be generated by the ereader. Might be better to ask the developer of the ereader (In case of Apple: Good luck / Maybe you get an answer / I didn't).