2 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2006 12:46 PM by Turcottep

Ordering TOC Topics for TOC Auto-Create

Turcottep

I have recently inherited a help file. Our IT department completes updates to the application and generates content for the help file, which I integrate into the file, generate the JAR file, and forward back to the programmers to integrate into the final product.

I have instructions to "Auto-Create" the TOC each time I complete my updates. This all works well, except the customer has the expectation that the TOC will be in a specific order. The Auto-Create routine keeps placing the books and pages in alphabetical order. I have to resort them each time I generate.

Does anyone know how to force the books and pages into an order other than alphabetical?

I appreciate your help! This task is a bit tedious.
        • 1. Re: Ordering TOC Topics for TOC Auto-Create
          RoboWizard Level 4
          HI Turcottep and welcome to our community

You asked:
          Does anyone know how to force the books and pages into an order other than alphabetical?

And the answer is, yes! You simply rearrange the TOC manually. But then, I'm guessing that you already knew that and my answer would be construed as just a smart alec reply.

Unfortunately, there is no way to force or influence any other arrangement using the auto create feature. For what it's worth, it's my opinion (as I'm sure it is many others') that auto create would be used only initially to get a foundation TOC present. Then from there forward, you simply manipulate the existing TOC. I mean, it really isn't all that difficult. You add a new topic? Just ensure it's part of the TOC.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Ordering TOC Topics for TOC Auto-Create
            Turcottep Level 1
            Very nice answer. We don't neet to autocreate each time. Perfect.