7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 7:55 PM by kwschnautz

Performance, stability and usability face recognition

Sonnyshogun

Hi

I have been testing out the face recognition feature in Lightroom CC and I have some questions/comments

My hardware setup:

CPU: i7-5820K

GPU: Geforce GTX 750 Ti, running Benq 3201 UHD display

RAM: 32 GB DDR4

Disk: 1 500 GB SSD for OS and SW, 1 240 GB SSD for Lightroom catalog, 1 6 TB disk with the photos

I run Windows 8.1 with the latest updates.

I have according to Lightroom 120.000 photos in lightroom, mainly RAW, but also quite many JPG. The photos are organized by year, month, camera on disk. A year as typically from 5.000 to 10.000 photos.

Performance

1) It takes days for Lightroom to go through the photos to do face recognition. That is ok, but according to Windows task manager Lightroom seldom use more than 10% CPU, there is little disk access and there is pleny of available RAM. What is the bottleneck?

2) If I try to handle all the photos together the pc starts lagging and everything goes very SLOW, but still no visable stress on the hardware - still about 10% CPU for Lightroom. It can take minutes to put photos to a named person. If I only take one year at the time the respons times are ok.

Stability

1) When I work with all the photos at once Task Manager says "Not Responding" a lot for the Lightroom entry.

2) The screen goes "white foggy" from time to time indicating that the pc/Lightroom has sever problems

3) The screen flickers sometimes when it is stressed out.

4) If I leave it at "All pictures" it is very often inpossible to use it again, I do not get contact with Lightroom, I have to terminate the Lightroom prosess and start again

5) Other applications works allright, but might lagg when Lightroom is very stressed

Usability

1) I thought face recognition would become better and better as it learned from more and more photos. It does not seem that way. It is quite often not helpful at all - you have to do a lot manually

2) It seems it does not use other photos for face recognition than current folder, that means that when I can not use the root folder due to the performance problems I have to go through the same process again and again

3) The algoritems does not seem to take time line into account, when trying to find who the person is. I think that is something that is important to to to make it more useful.

I have been waiting for face recognition in Lightroom for many years and so far I am not very pleased.

Anybody that have had nice expirience with face recognition so far?

Any workarounds?

What do the Lightroom engineers have to say about this?

• 1. Re: Performance, stability and usability face recognition
          lnanne

I'm afraid I won't be any help other than to say you have recapped the issue very well and I'm experiencing the same thing.  Hoping for anwers.

• 2. Re: Performance, stability and usability face recognition
            CTStovall

I'm having most of the same issues on my Macbook Pro Retina machine.  When viewing and sorting all images, the process is very, very slow.  The only way I've found to get around this is to only do one folder at a time.  That means looking at, at most, one year of images per sort.  "Learning" faces doesn't seem to be happening much at all.  I can have two almost exact images, and Lightroom will still not recognize that they are the same person.

Hopefully there will be a fix for these issues soon.

• 3. Re: Performance, stability and usability face recognition
              kwschnautz

This may be the wrong thread to discuss this, but on the topic of Face Recongition Usability...

I went through my 6000 photos Saturday and had a poor experience with facial recognition. For one, it was slow, at best.

My main complaint, though, is that when I manually add a face (placing the frame in the image), I naturally want to start typing the name immediately. SEVERAL times, I found myself typing a name, such as "Doug", only to find the keystroke "D" taking me to the "Develop" workflow or some other quick command triggered by alphanumeric keys.

Adobe, if you're reading this... Please have change the interface for adding faces. I want it so that immediately after creating a frame, it lets me type - without the need to move my mouse cursor and hover over or click on the text field. The last thing I want to do is screw up my photos accidentally through the quick commands.

• 4. Re: Performance, stability and usability face recognition
                kwschnautz Level 1

Also, when clicking through the unknown faces, I often lost the ability to select items (from the grid of faces) in LR. It would let me use my keyboard arrow keys to move around, but clicking stopped until I closed and reopened the app.

• 5. Re: Performance, stability and usability face recognition
                  Becksnyc

I agree with all the observations above.  I have a 25,000 photo database, and am running a Dell Precision with 16gb ram.  After people tagging for a while, the screen starts to flicker back and forth between Lightroom and other open apps, or the desktop.  It won't respond until restart or put the computer to sleep & login again.

The face recognition is very poor in comparison to Picasa.  The more faces you identify, the more bizarre and random the suggestions for a match become.  All races, genders and with very few apparent common features.  I would prefer NOT to have thousands of suggested names to sort through.  If the face doesn't match within close parameters, just leave it in "unknown" without suggestions.

I like the way Picasa groups similar faces, then asks "Who is this?"

Auto-complete for people names is maddening.  If you enter a space (don't names have a space between first name & surname?), it apparently resets.  So if I type in John Martin, it wants to auto-complete as John Martin Smith. (John Martin & Martin Smith being two DIFFERENT individuals already identified).  I already have 10 men named David in my file.  As soon as I hit the space, (assuming no one has his last name as a first name), auto-complete DOESN'T work at all.  So my husband's name, (a very common first name) has to be typed in its entirety each time.  Picasa doesn't have a problem with spaces... 

I have a huge collection of magazine clippings and sewing patterns.  I would like a way to exclude certain folders from the face search.  I don't even want to see those faces.

I'm stunned by the huge number of non-human things identified as faces.  Once in a great while, I can see why... but I never had this problem in Picasa.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Lightroom, but don't think this feature is up to snuff, at all, no way, no how.

• 6. Re: Performance, stability and usability face recognition
                    kwschnautz Level 1
                    My main complaint, though, is that when I manually add a face (placing the frame in the image), I naturally want to start typing the name immediately. SEVERAL times, I found myself typing a name, such as "Doug", only to find the keystroke "D" taking me to the "Develop" workflow or some other quick command triggered by alphanumeric keys.

I should note that this seems to only happen in Windows. In OS X, the field for typing is automatically active.

• 7. Re: Performance, stability and usability face recognition
                      kwschnautz Level 1

Becksnyc,

To be honest, I'm surprised Picasa still exists, since Google all-but-abandoned it. I also used Picasa for a few years and loved the facial recognition. It wasn't perfect, but it was fairly accurate.

I'm really irritated that I'm redoing tens of thousands of faces that I tagged many years ago in Picasa. I used to have EVERY face in every one of my 2000+ photos tagged. Now I have 6000+ photos and have to start all over.

What would be great is the option to say 'Here, Lightroom - I know this album should have THESE people... Now find them for me." "Or, Hey, Lightroom! These photos are essentially the same photo (a studio sitting). So when I tag someone HERE. Look for them in the near this spot on the next ten photos."

One can dream, right?