14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2016 8:12 AM by trshaner

Lightroom CC Raw to JPG Export Bug

Colorado3G Level 1

I'm not sure where to get specific help - but Lightroom CC has a major export bug.  When exporting from Raw to JPG - it loses or does not apply any of the noise reduction/sharpening settings!  This was a problem in 5 and is even worse in CC and they did not fix it!  The first image is a screen shot from within Lightroom and the second image is a screen shot of the exported JPG at the highest quality possible in the export module!  You can see that sharpness and noise reduction was completely ignored....this was a bug in 5 and still is!

Raw.jpgJPG.jpg

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
          dereky11474914 Level 1

I just found the SAME issue when exporting with LR-CC. I need this to work for some of my wedding work I spent three editing and the noise correction within LR-CC looks fantastic, the exported image looks like crap! Hello, Adobe?

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
            dereky11474914 Level 1

Adobe, I really hope you advise on this immediately. I do not want to wast 4 days of editing like this...please do something immediately.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What size is the resulting JPEG? I can't replicate on this end, I see NR applied.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
                dereky11474914 Level 1

Hi! They are exporting from my 7dii and 5Dii as a final size ranging from 12-16mb. I mean, there is a clear difference between the version in the LR-CC window and the final full resolution export, using LR-CC 2015 and Camera RAW 9.0. It's very strange.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Colorado3G wrote:

I'm not sure where to get specific help - but Lightroom CC has a major export bug.  When exporting from Raw to JPG - it loses or does not apply any of the noise reduction/sharpening settings! The first image is a screen shot from within Lightroom and the second image is a screen shot of the exported JPG at the highest quality possible in the export module!  You can see that sharpness and noise reduction was completely ignored....this was a bug in 5 and still is!

You don't mention what module the first screenshot was taken in. Does the Library module preview look similar to the exported JPEG and the Develop module looks good? If so this is almost always due to applying very high Sharpening settings and very low Luminance NR to high ISO images. What ISO is this image and what are your Detail panel settings?

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
                    Colorado3G Level 1

Yes - you are completely correct.  The preview image in the library module isn't very good at all and the Develop module looks great and what I would expect to see.  The actual screen shot is of an exported JPG which is a bit worse than the preview in library module.   Yes - this is a night exposure and has applied very high sharpening and noise reduction to a high ISO at 3200!

So if this always due to high sharpening and ISO - what I'm hearing is Lightroom is not capable of processing these types of images to other formats?  What are professionals using then to get that kind of quality?

I spent an hour with Adobe online the other day and the only resolution we could come up with is it's a corrupted file or somehow linked to the Canon Raw Format - but I get similar results on other files.  I'm also wondering if it is a Canon Raw Image issue.  For some reason I didn't convert these to DNG when I import and I normally do that.  I've taken a couple other images that I had converted to DNG (not star pictures) and applied high noise/sharpening on ISO 1600 and didn't have this problem.  But if I can't rely on lightroom to process and export high ISO images like this - what should I be using?

Here is another example.  This is an exported JPG Image in the Preview App on a Mac next to the image in the LR Lightroom module.  Not as drastic as my original post....but you can see the difference in the Develop module image.  I'm exporting at the highest possible settings for JPG.  The Library preview is a bit better than this and when I export to OnOne or PS CC - the image is degraded in those apps too!

Export-Develop.jpg

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug

Colorado3G wrote:

Yes - you are completely correct.  The preview image in the library module isn't very good at all and the Develop module looks great and what I would expect to see.  The actual screen shot is of an exported JPG which is a bit worse than the preview in library module.   Yes - this is a night exposure and has applied very high sharpening and noise reduction to a high ISO at 3200!

Here are some links that explain the issue:

Re: Develop module & library module aren't matching

Colorado3G wrote:

So if this always due to high sharpening and ISO - what I'm hearing is Lightroom is not capable of processing these types of images to other formats?  What are professionals using then to get that kind of quality.

Lightroom can do a very good job processing High ISO images, but you need to use the proper control settings.

Only make Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings at 1:1 Zoom View.

1) Start by adjusting the Sharpening until it looks good, but NOT over-sharpened. Sharpening amount should be no more than 50 to 80 at this point. Next adjust the Noise Reduction controls.

2) Move the Color slider slowly and stop at the point you see all color noise removed. Try increasing the Smoothness slider to see if it improves the color noise removal.

3) Next Increase the Luminance slider until the remaining noise is reduced so as not to appear obtrusive.

4) Go back to the Sharpening Amount slider and increase it slightly to restore image sharpness. Use the Masking slider to reduce noise in even-toned areas. You may need to increase the Sharpening Amount after using the Masking slider, but don't over-do it!

5) Go back to the Noise Reduction controls and adjust Luminance slider and its Detail slider to fine-tune the NR correction.

The Noise Reduction controls and Sharpening controls interact - It's a fine-balance of obtaining low-noise with "reasonable" sharpening. With High ISO or simply "noisy" image files there is always a trade-off of sharpening loss for low noise. Keep in mind image files are never displayed and viewed at 1:1 Zoom in a real-life scenario. Export or Print Output Sharpening should be used achieve the final image sharpness you desire....not the Develop module's Sharpening controls. Trust me it works!

One last tip is to achieve more accurate image previews in the Library module is to use the 1:16, 1:8, 1:4, 1:3, 1;2  pyramid preview ZOOM settings. When using Fit or Fill a 2nd interpolation is required, which can slightly soften the image. The only 100% accurate view in LR is the Develop module 1:1 Zoom view, which is why that should be used for making all Sharpening and Noise Reduction adjustments.

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
                        dereky11474914 Level 1

I have to disagree here. When I revert back to LR5, the images I am use to processing did just fine. As it always does when I process most of the night/low light wedding reception images. ONLY when I use LR-CC do I run into this problem when the noise reduction is not being applied upon export. I use 15-25 on the slider and it works perfectly in LR5, after just "upgrading" to LR-CC, the SAME settings and processing down in LR5 with regards to NR do nothing. There is some sort of bug and like usual, it will be a bit before Adobe recognizes it...but it is there. Nothing wrong with LR5.

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
                            Colorado3G Level 1

Thank you trshaner!  I appreciate the recommendations and I will play with them and the original raw images as soon as I get a chance!  Thanks!

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
                              audioboxer04 Level 1

I know it's been a while since your post but I' having this same issue and I've found no help. Have your figured this out yet? Colorado3G

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC Export Bug
                                Colorado3G Level 1

Yes - I asked this question over in an On 1 Forum and got a reply back from one of their experts on Lightroom....

The LR develope module doesnt show the correct sharpness, detail and noise reduction in the overview, to see the correct sharpness, detail and noise reduction U need to be in 1:1 view. This has to do with the software used for the LR develope module.

So essentially in the Develop Module - what you see in overview mode is not what your really getting!

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Lightroom CC Raw to JPG Export Bug
                                  saura12345 Level 1

i am having the same issue and came across this. At least now I know why my pics are so grainy when exported. My question is how do you work with 1:1 view?? You can't see the whole picture in 1:1view. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am kind of new to LR.

• 14. Re: Lightroom CC Raw to JPG Export Bug

You only need to use 1:1 Zoom View in the Develop module when adjusting the Detail panel's Sharpening and Noise Reduction controls.

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/23/how-to-a-primer-on-reducing-noise-in-photos-using-adobe-li ghtroom/

Please also read this explanation why the Develop and Library module previews look different when viewing at Fit and Fill Zoom sizes:

Adjust the Detail panel controls at 1:1 Zoom view to eliminate any visible noise as explained in the above article. You can then preview what the export image will look like using the Library module at one of the pyramid Zoom View settings (1:16, 1:8, 1:4, 1:3, 1:2). This provides the most accurate view and if the Detail panel controls have been properly adjusted the Library and Develop module previews should look very similar.