2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 4:02 PM by mattd6603855

Make a PDF Portfolio with Chapters work on an iPad

mattd6603855

Hi, I have created a PDF Portfolio document for iPad. I built the document in InDesign as a Digital Publication (iPad 768x1024,vertical only). The portfolio contains a number of chapters with each chapter containing a number of pages. I’ve built navigation hyperlinks into the PDF file in Acrobat DC. The PDF Portfolio file works perfectly on desktop computers and I am able to view all chapter and pages, but when I try to open it on an iPad I just get directed to ‘download Acrobat X or Adobe Reader X, or later’. I’ve tried opening it on 3 different iPads that are all running the latest version of Acrobat DC Reader and get the same message every time.

I tried making a second version of the file without the combining the chapters into a PDF Portfolio in Acrobat DC, just running all of the pages together in a single file, with hyperlinks on the contents page and it works perfectly on the iPad. So how can I get it to work on an iPad as a Portfolio with Chapters, can you give me any advice?

• 1. Re: Make a PDF Portfolio with Chapters work on an iPad
          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi,

I presume that "chapters" are individual PDF documents that are contained in your PDF Portfolio.

Adobe Reader/Acrobat DC mobile apps (for iOS and Android) support the hyperlink to jump to a page view within the same PDF document or open a web page (http://... or https://...).  Unfortunately, the Adobe Reader/Acrobat DC mobile apps do not support the hyperlink to open a different PDF document (regardless of whether it is included in a Portfolio or not). 

Please note that most mobile PDF viewers for iOS and Android do not support Portfolios.

To make your PDF document compatible with any PDF viewers on desktop computers and mobile devices, I'd recommend the second version - "all of the pages together in a single file with hyperlinks".

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 2. Re: Make a PDF Portfolio with Chapters work on an iPad
            mattd6603855 Level 1

Thanks so much, this was the conclusion I'd reached too but I'm really glad to have you confirm this for me. Cheers.