3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 10:02 AM by richardplondon

Full mobile RAW workflow on Android?

Gerein

One of the most overlooked new features in the whole LR CC announcement craze is the DNG support for the mobile Android version. While it's targeted at handset cameras with RAW support (enabled on some devices since Lollipop), LR will happily take any DNG and sync it to the desktop version (presumably increasing Adobe's storage requirements multifold in the process...).

In theory, this now allows for a full mobile RAW workflow, where I can start categorising and editing my RAW files while travelling (especially in combination with the new support for tablets) and then seamlessly continue at home to ensure proper colour calibration, etc. Quite a big deal for photographers which are on the road a lot (so far, I could only work on the JPGs and then copy over settings at home, which is a real pain).

I'm writing "in theory" because the LR's Android RAW support is limited to DNG and only few cameras produce DNGs natively. So with my ARWs I'm out of luck. :-( I'm speculating that Adobe is not supporting other formats because having tons of photographers switch to RAW-syncing will strain their infrastructure in terms of storage and bandwidth but who knows, maybe it's coming in future versions...

One possible solution would be to convert all RAWs to DNGs first. However, I cannot find any converters for Android (only RAW to JPG).

Is anybody aware of such a converter for mobile platforms? Any other solutions to get to a full mobile RAW workflow and finally use that airport waiting time productively?

• 1. Re: Full mobile RAW workflow on Android?
          richardplondon Level 4

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself as yet - not a Mobile user.

Any other solutions to get to a full mobile RAW workflow and finally use that airport waiting time productively?

You could maybe shoot Raw+JPG, bring just the JPGs into LR Mobile on the tablet, keyword and rough adjust / crop / whatever there. Then, once back at base, import the Raw files from camera card alongside those JPGs - and then use the Syncomatic plugin to transfer metadata / settings between the members of each pairing. Inevitable processing differences of JPG vs Raw will require some more work - but it ought to be a good start.

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/syncomatic/

• 2. Re: Full mobile RAW workflow on Android?
            Gerein Level 1

Interesting, hadn't seen this yet, thanks. Certainly beats manually syncing settings from JPGs to RAWs in LR.

However, still an incomplete solution, especially since it doesn't seem to support syncing crop/rotation-settings (according to the FAQs). Converting to DNG at import and working on the raw format directly would clearly be much better...

• 3. Re: Full mobile RAW workflow on Android?
              richardplondon Level 4

Converting to DNG at import and working on the raw format directly would clearly be much better...

Shooting native DNG happens not to be a problem, in my own case... maybe I'll give that a try this evening - I can borrow an IPad.

I hadn't realised that syncing crops might be a problem with Syncomatic. Nothing is ever straightforward, it seems... (grin)