9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 1:02 PM by Wernerg

Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits

Wernerg Level 1

Lightroom CC did it's first backup last night when I shut LrCC down.  I didn't stay to watch it so I didn't see any messages.  This morning, all the raw files that I've imported from the camera since CC was installed were missing.  The files were still in their folder so I synced the folder and re imported them.  But of course the edits are missing. 

Backup supposed to be helpful, not damaging.  What's happeing? 

Running on Win 7 /64 bit

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits
          Wolf Eilers Level 4

My guess you started Lightroom with an old catalog. If the backup is indeed messing with the catalog then that is a massive bug that others would have also discovered.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits
            Wernerg Level 1

Lightroom opened the same catalog it closed with last night.  I didn't change anything.  Did Lr CC create a new catalog?  If so, where does it put it?  I keep my catalogs on an external drive. 

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits
              Wolf Eilers Level 4

If the backup succeeded then try opening the backup catalog (it's a zipped file in CC) to see if the photos are there. Again, I find it hard to believe the backup process caused a catalog corruption. (But I guess anything is possible with a new release.)

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits
                richardplondon Level 4

The installation of LR CC does not remove or update the LR5 shortcuts / icons. E.g. (in Windows terms) on the Start bar.

I have to admit having made a puzzling excursion into this same territory - the day after install, I'd unthinkingly started up the old version by default .

Icons are switched around now, so here's hoping it won't happen again.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits
                  Wernerg Level 1

Well, this is pretty ugly but I seem to have recovered.  I edited the original note earlier to say that I tried to open the backup and Lr said it was not writable.  I now see that's because this first backup created by CC is a zip file, all the previous backups are not zipped.  Apparently it didn't like reading it's own zip file. The backup file also had a -2 name modifier.   I unzipped it and tried to open that catalog.  It created a message that said it couldn't open the catalog because it was created by a newer version of lightroom (what's newer than CC?).  I reopened lightroom and this time it opened with the -2 catalog by itself and everything is there. 

I am not amused.

But thank for the help, you told me where to look.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits
                    Wernerg Level 1

I did switch the icons after installing CC but Lr 5 is still installed on the computer.  Lr CC is the first version of Lr that I have under the subscription.  Previously I had a purchased copy of Lr 5 and a subscription version of PS CC.  I don't think I opened Lr 5 since I clicked on the CC icon but who knows,  In hindsight it does appear that Lr 5 opened after the backup. But also note that backups are now zipped and appear to be unreadable by CC unless you manually unzip it.  Is there a setting somewhere that controls the backup file type?

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits
                      Wernerg Level 1

In the end I think there is a bug in Lr CC.  I don't know when the -2 version of the catalog was created but this morning when I looked into "recent" catalogs it wasn't there, it was only in the backups.  So if Lr changed the name when it created the back up, it did not change the current catalog name in what file it uses for initializing. There was only the original name as an available recent catalog.  When I opened Lr this morning it opened the original name which had no recent raw files, that means that the file name changed when Lr CC opened for the first time last week but the change to the catalog name did not get "recorded" in the initialize file.

I don't think this is over yet but we'll see what happens after the next backup. 

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits
                        ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The LR5 and LR6 catalogs are different. When LR6 opens an LR5 catalog, it migrates it to the LR6 format and gives it a new name with the "-2" on the end.

Sounds like you were again opening the old LR5 catalog after doing work in the new LR6 catalog.

Yes, it is odd that the new "-2" catalog did not get added to the "recent" list.

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC backup removes recent files and edits
                          Wernerg Level 1

Yes, but what confuses me is how the backup triggered this.  I've open and closed Lr CC several times since installing it and the most recent files were always there.  Somehow the backup process reset Lr CC look for the original name??  Also why can't Lr read it's own zipped back up files.  Is the user expected to unzip backups?