9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 9:07 PM by A.T. Romano

Prel files won't open

kennyb84832087

all of my saved work. .prel files won't open.

• 1. Re: Prel files won't open
          A.T. Romano Level 7

kennyb

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Is this a "it worked before but does not now" or "it never worked before" type issue?

Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled? Are you working from a home computer or in a school or company network?

Have you moved, deleted, renamed files folders that were imported into the project(s) after the project(s) were saved closed?

Please review the Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged projects and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-elemen ts.html

Any questions or need clarification on any of the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Prel files won't open
            kennyb84832087 Level 1

premiere elements 13

MIcrosoft. Windows 7 home edition / home computer

it worked before.  I came back to my saved files again to continue my project and I get...error message - file import failure / this type of file is not supported, or the codec is not installed. 

I Created and saved a file earlier and it worked when saved to the same folder as the others UNTIL I close adobe!  When I reopen adobe and go to my saved file it will not open.

this is insane........I have lost so many hours of work

• 3. Re: Prel files won't open
              A.T. Romano Level 7

kennyb

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that all you do is try to open an existing project (do not get as far as into workspaces) and you get this file import failure/this type of file is not supported or codec is not installed message?

What are the exact steps that you are using to open the saved closed projects?

To where are you saving these projects - some place on the Local Disc C or to an external hard drive? Please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and tell me where the scratch discs are directed and how much free hard drive space is there. If possible, please post a screenshot of the Scratch Disk listings in preferences.

While you are having these problems with the saved closed projects, can you still open a new project? And, if you can, do they meet the same fate as the others in that you cannot open them once they have been saved closed.

Do not give up. We will figure this out.

Please let me know if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Prel files won't open
                kennyb84832087 Level 1

I saved my .prel files in a desktop folder.  I need to convert them to MPEG for my project.  I open elements 13,  select video editor, select existing project, select add media, open folder, select .prel file, to add file.  file loads and I get the error message.

I can create a new .prel file. Save it to the desktop folder and it will open, but if I close elements and reopen the program to work on the file I get the error message.

scratch disks directed to adobe elements 13

• 5. Re: Prel files won't open
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

kennyb

Could you please give information on scratch discs....directed to adobe elements 13 is not an option.

This is what I am looking for - Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks

ScratchDiskLocations.JPG

Please leave them all "Same As Project".

The project file is saved to location designated in New Project dialog. Please save project to

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13. For now...

a. Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and open a new project. Once the project is opened, go to File Menu/Save As, name the project and set the Save for Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.

b. Place some source files on the Local Disc C in Documents.

c. Import the source files from Documents using the project's  Expert workspace's Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets. Drag the imported files into the Timeline.

d. Save, close, and try to open the project. Does it open?

Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Prel files won't open
                    kennyb84832087 Level 1

scratch disks -media cache was set on custom - changed to same as project.

followed your directions as listed.  The file I saved in documents library 13.0 is not seen when I try to add media.  The file is there if I search outside of the adobe program.

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Prel files won't open
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

kennyb

Please explain further.

You save the project file to the 13.0 Folder in the path Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0 Folder.

When you do that, you should be able to find that project file

a. Welcome Screen/Video Editor/Existing Projects

b. In the Expert workspace, File Menu/Open Project

c. In the 13.0 Folder in the Libraries route...right click the project prel file in the 13.0 Folder, select Open With from the menu that appears, and then select Adobe Premiere Elements 13.0 from the menu.

Can you open the project prel in the 13.0 Folder?

If you want to open an existing project, you do not use Add Media. You cannot import a project file into another project file. Add Media is only for the import of the project's source media. Please excuse if you know all this already, but I did not want to take anything for granted that might prevent us from resolving the issues that you are having with your Premiere Elements workflow.

Thanks for the follow ups. Looking forward to learning of your further observations.

ATR

• 8. Re: Prel files won't open
                        kennyb84832087 Level 1

resolved.  Bulk videos moved to external drive - required to view saved clips.  Had to connect external memory.

thanks for your assistance.

• 9. Re: Prel files won't open
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

kennyb

Thanks for the follow up. Great news that you worked through the troubleshooting to gain your success. Well done.

Please periodically check the external hard drive to assure that it is functioning and that the drive letter has not changed spontaneously. That can be the cause of media disconnect problems. The other major cause of media disconnect problems is moving, deleting, or renaming files and folders that went into the project after you saved closed the project.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions about these workflows.

Thank you.

ATR