5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2015 4:36 PM by A.T. Romano

Can't combine files - Elements 11

christieh96513522

Hi there -

I edited a bunch of audio files, all saving them as .PREL files on my hard drive. I'd now like to edit several of them into one compilation video, but I'm getting this error right when I start and try to add media: "This type of file is not supported, or the codec is not installed."

The file that's not supported is Adobe Premiere Elements Project. So essentially, it's not letting me add files that the program itself created.

Because of this, I can't go back and string the different clips together into the video I'm trying to create.

Am I missing something? How do I fix this? I'm under a time crunch.

Thanks,
      Christie

• 1. Re: Can't combine files - Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Christie

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

You cannot import one project file (.prel) into another. If you want to transfer between projects, you have two choices if you are using a Windows computer .....

1. for project 1, export the Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive (file saved in a format consistent with project settings of the second project). And, then import that export into the second project.

2. If you are a Windows user, then you can use ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements for a copy/paste insert between Premiere Elements projects. ClipMate is Windows Only. Details for the different Premiere Elements versions can be found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

Please review and consider, supply more details, and then we can decide what next including discussing import and export settings.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't combine files - Elements 11
            christieh96513522 Level 1

Hi AT,

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm a newbie on this file so you might need to break things down for me a little bit more.

• I am on Windows 7 Enterprise.
            • For option 1 above, how do I export the PREL file and into what format should I save it? Once all files are in that new format, are you saying I can add them all back into Elements 11 and stitch them together?
            • I don't have ClipMate but hope my company will let me download it! Assuming that works, how exactly do I use it w/Elements 11 to create the compilation? Also, it looks like the ClipMate versions are labeled by windows version, not Elements version. Is there one that specifically works w/Windows 7 AND Elements 11?

Last question (while I have you ) - is there a way I can use Elements 11 to flip a video? One got recorded upside down and I'm trying to salvage it, turning it 180 degrees.

Thanks for your help!

Christie

• 3. Re: Can't combine files - Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Christie

Thanks for the reply.....

Quick answers to questions with points..

Yes.

Once all files are in that new format, are you saying I can add them all back into Elements 11 and stitch them together?

Use latest version of ClipMate with Premiere Elements 11 Windows (See link provided already.)

how exactly do I use it w/Elements 11 to create the compilation? Also, it looks like the ClipMate versions are labeled by windows version, not Elements version. Is there one that specifically works w/Windows 7 AND Elements 11?

See Rotation feature at Timeline level (more than one time) or at Applied Effects Tab level (more options).

is there a way I can use Elements 11 to flip a video? One got recorded upside down and I'm trying to salvage it, turning it 180 degrees.

Detailed Reply.....

1. About flip a video, you could use the Premiere Elements 11 rotation feature.

a. right click the clip on the Expert workspace Timeline, select either Rotate 90 Left or Rotate 90 Right.

or

b. select/highlight the Timeline clip, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel and expand the Motion Panel to see a full Rotation feature in the Motion Panel expanded.

2. The details for using ClipMate are detailed in the How To Section of the link already given. Above that How To section are the results to be expect version by version.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

The latest version of ClipMate will work with Premiere Elements 11 Windows...expected results specific for 11 are defined in the link.

3. If you do the transfer between project the alternative route, export from project 1 - import export to project 2

a. If you are transferring a video audio linked file, then set the export settings to match the properties of the project preset.....generalized example, if project 1 is set for NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30, set the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD or MPEG or QuickTime or Windows Media) export settings for 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second with a bitrate comparable to your source for that project.....then import (Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets) that export into a project 2 which has a project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30.

b. If you are transferring just an audio file between projects, then export the audio file from project 1 using Publish+Share/Computer/Audio with the preset of choice (AAC, AIFF, MP3, Windows Waveform). Then import (Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets) that export into project 2 with the wanted project preset.

Please let me know if you need specifics for the project and export settings. If you do, please give more information about your project 1 and the properties of your source media there.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can't combine files - Elements 11
                christieh96513522 Level 1

Hi there,

Thanks again for the reply; here's a few more for you.

• "Export" as a function is not available for me. Is this likely something that was turned off by my Administrator or is that something to do with the files?
                • For flipping the videos, I can't even get the files to import. I get this error: "The importer reported a generic error." It's only occurring with the upside-down clips.
                • I'll be sure to reach out if I can get approval to use ClipMate and move forward w/your other guidance.

Thanks,

Christie

• 5. Re: Can't combine files - Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Christie

Just some things to make sure that we are OK with....

1. When you talk about "Export" as a function is not available...", are you referring to the Publish+Share area of the program or are you referring to File Menu/Export. That File Menu/Export/Movie is last available in Premiere Elements 7. Now in later versions, File Menu/Export/ is just for saving Titles as .prtl files to the computer hard drive. Titles saved in such a way can be used again in other Premiere Elements projects.

2. If the videos that you want to flip in Premiere Elements cannot be imported, I suspect that these videos are from cell phone or device that records the video with a variable instead of a constant frame rate. That is a known issue for Premiere Elements and is typically resolved by converting the variable to constant frame frame in a free program such as HandBrake (you get a H.264.mp4 file with constant frame rate to take into Premiere Element project).

https://handbrake.fr/

Please review the above and let us know if you need supplemental information on this or other aspects of your Premiere Elements workflow.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR