30 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 2:55 PM by gnome v2

Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

gnome v2

I would like to use InDesign to print separations from placed eps files. In Illustrator I am able to place the files and print with the "ignore artboards" and "custom media size" selected and Illustrator automatically prints the page size to fit the placed images. Is there a way to have InDesign automatically size the media to match placed objects?

• 1. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign is not Illustrator. InDesign is primarily used to produce publications of a fixed size. Illustrator is primarily used to create artwork, which can be of variable size.

InDesign doesn't automatically resize to match a placed object.

• 2. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
            gnome v2 Level 1

Thank you for the response. To clarify my question a little better I am actually more concerned about output of color separations. I have been using Quark for 15 years to place Photoshop DCS2 separated files on a page layout for output to an imagesetter. Hard to believe but Quark has removed the Process and Spot output in the new version 10 so I was looking at switching to InDesign just for film output. I am new to InDesign so I don't know what would be the easiest and fastest way to print only the objects size and not the page size in the print menu.

I have found it is easy to drag the corners to change the page size but when I print with the page size set to auto in the print menu it sets based on the original doc size instead of the new page size that I created by Option dragging on the corner using the Page Tool. I think I just need to find a way to make the auto page size reference the new page size and that will do the trick.

• 3. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
              MW Design Level 4

Yeah, I leave version 9 still installed. I mention the host-based seps every chance I get to those who will listen to me babble about it at Quark. BTW, they just released Q 2015 and there are no host-based seps back in, either.

You can print the seps from Acrobat. Just click on the Advanced button beside the print device (Printer) dropdown. Choose the Color dropdown and select Separations and turn off the inks one at a time. You'll have to select the appropriate paper size and or create them. You can print direct or to Acrobat's print driver for a separated PDF.

Mike

• 4. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

InDesign is used for a composite workflow, which allows you to use RGB images and RGB+Spot images and Spot Colors to be exported to RGB, CMYK and CMYK+Spot files. This requires color management.

That is why InDesign does not have a separated PDF export.

And this is also the reason, why you should never use EPS anymore in InDesign. Neither normal EPS nor 5-file-format (DCS).

You can look into the output preview how separations work.

You can fit the page size with the page tool. Select the page with the page tool and hold down the ALT key and drag the corners to the desired size.

• 5. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                  gnome v2 Level 1

Yes that's where I am at now too. I had to rebuild my v 9 corrupted preferences folder and the option went away. I restored an old version of the folder via Time Machine and it came back. I talk to Quark and they said they have many complaints about the host based option. Glad to hear I am not the only one.

I have printed from Acrobat some. I am trying to avoid manually changing page sizes or using preset ones that are larger than the image so I don't waste film. It's a small issue but if I do 25 a day X 5 days X 52 weeks - you know.

• 6. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                    MW Design Level 4

Back up the following file:

FuturaUIConfig.xml

It is in the preferences folder. That's what enables host-based seps. I wouldn't believe Quark about there being "issues." I know they have gotten oh so many complaints about the removal. I think with version 9 they moved to needing to request the XML file so they could judge usage. Problem with that is most people knew about the file and just moved it into the v9 preferences folder without requesting it. And let's face it, there really isn't much need in the larger scheme of things. Not in most Western countries anyway.

I don't know what you are doing the seps for. I do them for a couple local screen printers and one local, backwoods printer. Most of what I do goes to a handful of page sizes and so creating them in one sitting wasn't a big deal.

None of my work in ID requires me doing seps. But if I was doing so (and needed to use ID for it) I would use Acrobat and on one half-tipsy weekend afternoon, create as many custom page sizes as believed i needed.

Mike

• 7. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                      gnome v2 Level 1

Very interesting information! The majority of my files are DCS files with 12 spot color channels. No RGB or CMYK channels. Do you know how InDesign would manage those channels that are saved as a multichannel DCS file? I would rather not choose In Rip Separations but it sounds like you are saying the DCS files will be converted to a different profile which will alter the grayscale spot color plates.

Also curious about not using EPS files. Does that mean don't place Illustrator EPS files and it is ok to place AI files?

I did learn to resize the page with the ALT Page Tool but when I go to print the auto page size reverts to the original Doc page size.

• 8. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                        gnome v2 Level 1

Thank you Mike. Will the xml file work with V 10 and 2015? I am doing seps for screen printers. I think that is why I don't understand why there is not a need for outputting host based separations. I didn't realize we were that far down the digital road. We are still printing with the same process as the ancient Chinese.

I can make up some page sizes but I am hyper frugal. I do about 20 designs a day and most are 12 colors so if the page is 1" larger than the image it = film and chems. Illustrator works great for the set up because I place the art, select print and custom for the page size and it is instant. no waste.

I appreciate the xml tip. If it doesn't work for V 10 plus I will still be able to rebuild my V 9 Preferences folder and drop it in.

• 9. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am trying to avoid manually changing page sizes or using preset ones that are larger than the image so I don't waste film. It's a small issue but if I do 25 a day X 5 days X 52 weeks - you know.

It would be fairly easy to script making a new document set to the image size, pasting and then set the print preferences to a custom width and height. If you are using OSX I have something that might work.

As others have noted a regular .PSD image can have spot channels and they will separate correctly.

• 10. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                            MW Design Level 4
                            Will the xml file work with V 10 and 2015?

Nope, unfortunately.

Personally I wouldn't be using ID for the output. AI works great and is more tailored for this work in comparison. However, the DCS should be fine in ID and the output can be checked in Acrobat. Give it a whirl. For new art and using ID, I would also recommend using the PSD.

Mike

• 11. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

The majority of my files are DCS files with 12 spot color channels. No RGB or CMYK channels. Do you know how InDesign would manage those channels that are saved as a multichannel DCS file?

Here's a Grayscale PSD file with 4 spot channels:

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 8.29.12 PM.png

If I place the PSD in ID the 4 spots plus black are separated—if you don't need black leave the black channel blank. Here Sep Preview and the Print dialog show the output plates:

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 8.31.13 PM.png

• 12. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                                gnome v2 Level 1

Thanks so much Mike, Rob and others. I am not sure why I have been using DCS files all these years. My clients are also sending their separated files in DCS format. Early versions of Illustrator had trouble processing them so I went to Quark for output. Is the spot color separation option fairly new, or maybe I just didn't realize it was there?

• 14. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                                  MW Design Level 4

Depending on what your clients are using, most of the dedicated screen printing image editors where one can assign spot colors to an image save out as dcs eps files. That's all they do. Unless there is an issue and time is critical, I just use them so I can save time. They work.

Mike

• 15. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

Is the spot color separation option fairly new, or maybe I just didn't realize it was there?

It's always been in ID. PSDs have had spot channels since around version 9 or 10.

If you are using OSX try this script. Select an image and run it—it will make a new doc sized to the image and set your print width and height:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PrintSingleImage.zip

• 16. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

gnome v2 wrote:

Very interesting information! The majority of my files are DCS files with 12 spot color channels. No RGB or CMYK channels. Do you know how InDesign would manage those channels that are saved as a multichannel DCS file? I would rather not choose In Rip Separations but it sounds like you are saying the DCS files will be converted to a different profile which will alter the grayscale spot color plates.

Also curious about not using EPS files. Does that mean don't place Illustrator EPS files and it is ok to place AI files?

I did learn to resize the page with the ALT Page Tool but when I go to print the auto page size reverts to the original Doc page size.

Use PSD with additional spot channels. It is fine.

Use AI instead of EPS, or even better, use PDF/X-4:2010 (which allows the use of layers and transparency).

• 17. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

gnome v2 wrote:

Thanks so much Mike, Rob and others. I am not sure why I have been using DCS files all these years. My clients are also sending their separated files in DCS format. Early versions of Illustrator had trouble processing them so I went to Quark for output. Is the spot color separation option fairly new, or maybe I just didn't realize it was there?

Todays workflow was establieshed with InDesign 2.0, Photoshop 4, and Illustrator 9 and Acobat 5. Since CS2 it works flawless.

• 18. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

With Illustrator and Photoshop you can fit or trim an artboard or a canvas to the artwork or non-white/transparent/corner color image.

• 19. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

right I think the OP gets that (see #1), but the question was about printing seps out of ID and more importantly setting up the print driver to save film. My script gets the image size and sets the custom page size in the print preferences. I could have avoided the new document and simply set the print size but didn't want to assume there was only one image on the page and that it was exactly centered. All of this can be done manually if time isn't a problem (#5) .

• 20. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

I am not sure why I have been using DCS files all these years.

One thing about PSDs with spots is: if they are Multichannel mode InDesign won't place them. If you want to start using PSD with spots in ID, the mode needs to be either Grayscale or CMYK plus the spots. So in your case, where you might not have any use for a black or CMY channel, there would still be a reason to use Photoshop DCS.

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 8.27.05 AM.png

• 21. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                                                gnome v2 Level 1

I tried to run the script but I got stuck at "please select a frame with an image". I don't know if I am running it properly. I created a frame and placed an image into it, selected the frame and ran the script from the script editor.

Did you write the script for this specific issue? Is the process similar to recording actions in Photoshop?  Sorry for the ID rookie level questions. Thanks for your patience.

• 22. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

Sorry I didn't test with a DCS file—I see the problem and will post a fix.

• 23. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

This one should work with DCS:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PrintSingleImageV2.zip

If you copy the script into /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2014/Scripts/Scripts Panel you can run from the ID scropts panel via a double click. Let me know if it works haven't tested it much

• 24. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

It just occurred to me that you might want to print to the DCS's frame. This version sets the print up to the image frame (in case the image has been cropped):

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PrintSingleImageV3.zip

• 25. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                                                        gnome v2 Level 1

Wow! That is some good stuff! Can I run that from within ID?

• 26. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

copy it into /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2014/Scripts/Scripts Panel and it will show in your Scripts panel's Application folder. You can rename it if you want. Double click to run:

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 3.02.42 PM.png

• 27. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign
                                                            gnome v2 Level 1

Hi Rob - I am amazed by the way you made that happen. I hope I'm not pushing my luck but I always output with "page information" and "registration marks". Is that something I can adjust for or would that require changes to the scripts?

• 28. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

There's two ways to do that, either set all of the printer settings in the script, or let the script load a print preset with your mark needs and then adjust the paper size after the preset is loaded. Since you're not a scripter the second option is the way to go.

But if you want to add printer marks the page size in the Print dialog needs to be expanded to accommodate the marks, which can be done. Marks typically take .5" around so I could add 1" to the custom page width and height.

• 29. Re: Auto size media to match placed eps files in InDesign

This version adds an inch and the Print preset you want to load is defined in the first line.

Open in Script Editor and edit the first line:

set printset to "Your Preset"

Change "Your Preset" to the print set's name, it's case sensitive. Click Compile and Save

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PrintSingleImageV4.zip