6 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 10:07 AM by JohnEllert

lightroom cc crashes and batch edits do not work

nikolaim47690424 Level 1

has anyone experienced lighroom crashing during editing and batch edit providing really weird effects that do not match the original edit?

• 1. Re: lightroom cc crashes and batch edits do not work
          JohnEllert Level 1

Lightroom CC crashes constantly during edits - problem seems mostly to be related to use of the crop tool.  It is very frustrating as I have a big job to get done for a client and this behavior is certainly slowing me down.  If I had not already updated my catalog, I'd go back to LR 5.

• 2. Re: lightroom cc crashes and batch edits do not work
            JohnEllert Level 1

I should note that I am running a 2009 MacPro4,1, quad core, 2.66 Ghz, 6 Gb DDR3 memory under OS X 10.10.3.  In discussions with colleagues, some have suggested that in today's world this machine is under-configured with regards to memory and possibly the graphics board (an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 w/512 Mb).  I have additional memory chips on order so I will see if that helps. 

In trying work-arounds to get me through this job I have closed all apps except LR; this helps a bit, but I still experience frequent crashes.  One curious symptom occurs when I am trying to straighten an image - I rotate the frame to the desired position and instead of snapping to that place, the outlined frame wiggles and often keeps rotating.  It will finally stop this behavior and I can sometimes drag it back to where it should have stopped, though it it is at this juncture that it often crashes.  I have also had it crash after a crop that did not involve rotation.

• 3. Re: lightroom cc crashes and batch edits do not work
              JohnEllert Level 1

I have upgraded memory from 6 Gb to 24 Gb and the problems i was experiencing have, as far as i've been able to test, resolved themselves.  Everything runs fast and there have been no crashes.  Yay!

• 4. Re: lightroom cc crashes and batch edits do not work
                SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

Hi John,

Did you swap out memory as part of the upgrade? Just wondering if it could've been a memory issue.

• 5. Re: lightroom cc crashes and batch edits do not work
                  JohnEllert Level 1

Sean, I did the memory upgrade after migrating to Lightroom CC.  I did the upgrade to CC about two weeks ago and as long as I was doing star-rating and low-level work I had no problems. I began to experience problems when I started in a a major editing job, especially cropping images.  In talking with some of my colleagues, some suggested that I may not have had enough core memory at just 6 Gb.  I decided that the memory upgrade was the quickest and easiest first step and so I replaced the three 2-Gb chips with three 8Gb chips.  At the moment, that solution appears to be working,  If I re-experience problems, I'll look at replacing the graphics card with a newer, faster card with more on-board memory.

• 6. Re: lightroom cc crashes and batch edits do not work
                    JohnEllert Level 1

Grrrrr -- back to develop mode this morning and LR is back to its old tricks - again is crashing, not only while cropping but also while exporting finished images.  The problem is not as severe as it was, but it still is serious enough to be worrisome.