5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2015 8:02 AM by Chick Newman

Unable to open newly installed free standing Lightroom not part of CC

Chick Newman Level 1

I have an Adobe CC photography membership and I've installed PS and LR on two computers from the membership. I also purchased a version of Lightroom 6 (not part of the membership) to install on a third computer for which I received a serial number. However, I am not able to open the program because I get a message stating that my CC software is already installed on two computers. This version of Lightroom that I purchased separately from CC subscription hasn't been unstalled on any computer! It's a free standing version. Yet, I can't install it because I also have a CC membership. It's ridiculous. I had no problem installing a free standing version of Lightroom 5 on this same computer (also with a separate serial number). Why can't I get Adobe to recognize the difference in the two types of Lightrooom...the one from CC subscription and the other having nothing to do with my CC subscription?

Thanks,

Chick

• 1. Re: Unable to open newly installed free standing Lightroom not part of CC
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That seems strange. Do you also have Creative Cloud installed on the third computer? If so, try going to settings (click the cogwheel icon) and then sign-out from preferences. Let us know if that makes a difference.

• 2. Re: Unable to open newly installed free standing Lightroom not part of CC
            Chick Newman Level 1

I tried signing out of CC and closed the CC application, and then started Lightroom 6. I received a message stating that I need to sign into Creative Cloud first. Then...the cycle repeats, stating that I can't use the program because it's already activated on two other computers.I did not have ANY issue with the installation of the perpetually licensed Lightroom 5 on this very same computer.

I have tried preventing CC from starting with Windows by unchecking the Adobe Creative Cloud app in the startup tab of MS CONFIG utility). However,

In order to install the program, it says that "Signing in with an Adobe ID is required. Once I do that, it sees that I am a CC member, I get a copy of a license agreement for installing a creative cloud application (not a perpetually licensed version of the application). So it's a vicious cycle... What's the workaround?? This is extremely frustrating.

• 3. Re: Unable to open newly installed free standing Lightroom not part of CC

LR CC 2015 and LR6 are essentially the same software and you can’t install both on the same machine. It’s one or the other. So I guess, somewhere in the system files the CC software is detecting that the CC version is already installed, even though it isn’t.  I think you may need to contact Adobe directly and start an on-line chat.

• 4. Re: Unable to open newly installed free standing Lightroom not part of CC

You need to contact Adobe directly using the link below. Use the dropdown menu for boxes (1) & (2) to scroll down the list and choose:

1. Adobe Lightroom

2. Adobe ID, and signing-in

3. Click on the blue button: Still need help? Contact us – then click the area marked chat 24/7, then click “start chat ”

It’s usually possible to start a live chat, if an Adobe agent is free, and often to get the problem fixed right away. Have your serial number available. The agent can directly troubleshoot your system if you agree to activate the Adobe Connect add-on.

Click here to get help now Contact Customer Care

• 5. Re: Unable to open newly installed free standing Lightroom not part of CC
                  Chick Newman Level 1

Lightroom CC was NEVER installed on this computer. In fact NO CC programs were ever installed on this particular computer except the Adobe CC application itself (Adobe installed it automatically when I plugged in my User ID for updating one of the other (NON-CC) Adobe programs on the computer (CS5 suite). A perpetually licensed version of Lightroom 5 was also installed on this computer (and I had no problem installing that).

I eventually created a new Adobe ID and password and retried to install it using that ID and password but the installer said I needed an Adobe CC membership to continue the installation. So, I contacted Adobe and after two hours with an online support person (Live Chat), which was getting me nowhere, I decided to use a new ID but install as a trial.During the install, I made sure no adobe apps were running and deleted the preference file for the CC application (which also wasn't running). The program finally installed as a trial version. I then closed the program, restarted, and a screen came up telling me I had 30 days left on the trial. There was also an option to license the software on that screen. I chose the latter and....another screen came up asking for a serial number, which I provided. And now the program is installed and is associated with a different Adobe ID and password from the programs I have on two other computesr that have CC applications installed.

That's the solution I came up with. It worked but installation should have gone much smoother, as it did last year when I installed the perpetually licensed version of Lightroom which was associated with the same user ID and password as I used for the CC subscription.